Protein power and milk

Options
allother94
allother94 Posts: 588 Member
edited January 2020 in Food and Nutrition
Protein power has about 25g of protein per serving. Milk has about 12g per 8 oz. Why should I take protein power instead of 16oz of milk? Assume I love to drink milk.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    No reason to consume protein powder unless you enjoy it as a source of protein. It's not exactly difficult to get sufficient protein without protein powder.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Assuming you mean protein powder, there is no reason to use it unless you want to. You just need to get the appropriate amount of protein in your diet. That protein can come from whatever foods you prefer, as long as they fit your goals.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The answer is - there is no reason.

Are you struggling to meet protein goals? Protein powder is not a requirement, just something that can help people meet protein goals. Example - you can stir protein powder into a smoothie; I just use Greek yogurt instead. I cook my oatmeal using milk, but some people prefer to stir in protein powder.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You don't have to supplement with protein at all. It's up to you. Some people find protein powder especially with flavours taste better than milk, also the macros and low calories can be more favourable in some cases, some people have a hard time with lactose in milk so prefer whey without it, also they might be trying to keep carbs/fats down. It's also more convenient for some on the go, they can keep the powder then mix in liquid whenever they want without worrying about it going rancid.
  • allother94
    Options
    What about the bcaas in the power? Not sure I would know if I’m getting those. Bcaa powder cost as mush as protein power with bcaa...
  • allother94
    Options
    Also, the powder is slow release...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are included in foods and whey protein powder. There is no need for any additional supplementation. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I mix the protein powder with the milk & drink it , or maybe add some chocolate , or blend it with frozen blueberries & broccoli for a smoothie
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    allother94 wrote: »
    Protein power has about 25g of protein per serving. Milk has about 12g per 8 oz. Why should I take protein power instead of 16oz of milk? Assume I love to drink milk.

My protein powder has 120 calories for 25 mg protein and it tastes like chocolate milk or chocolate malted milk or chocolate mocha milk or ...

My milk has 160 calories for 24 mg protein and tastes like plain skim milk.

It comes down to which you prefer and if you'd rather spend those 40 calories on something else. In your case, since you love milk, it makes more sense to drink the milk.

@sardelsa Whey protein powder does have lactose. A couple brands add lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose). Those are the only brands I buy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    allother94 wrote: »
    Also, the powder is slow release...

Nutrient timing generally isn't important, especially for those of us who aren't elite athletes trying to squeeze out that last 0.005% of performance improvement.

It may seem like we should try to do all the things they do, but that tends to result in overthinking that distracts our attention from more major factors, among other downsides.

If you like the protein powder and milk, and you're hitting your well-thought-out nutritional and goals while enjoying the food and finding it practical, drink the protein powder and milk. If you accomplish your nutritional goals with just the milk, and enjoy that more or find it more practical, drink the milk.