eating back calories

Options
I'm confused are you supposed to eat your calories back after exercise. If not I have been snaking just because at the end of the day. I don't want to be in starvation mode. HELP!

Replies

• skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    YES!! you must eat them back. look at your `net` calories...that is the real amount of calories you are at, after exercise. if your net is lower than 1200, then eat something!!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You should eat some back! Especially if you have a really intense work out it's important to have a recovery shake/meal/something within 30 minutes of working out. It helps your muscles and helps you burn calories more efficiently.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing the other day...now I have my answer...thanks ladies! I gotta eat up too!! :drinker:
  • jeff261159
    Options
    YES!! you must eat them back. look at your `net` calories...that is the real amount of calories you are at, after exercise. if your net is lower than 1200, then eat something!!

Nonsense, think about it! Burn 1200 cals at the gym, go home, shower, eat 1200 calories! Why go to the gym, your net calories for weight loss should be less than the calories burned during excercise. Eat back calories burned when you are maintaining your weight. If you eat back everything you burn then you won't lose. Marycmeadows is right, eat back some if you need to. Good luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, the way MFP works you are "supposed to". It gives you a calorie deficit before you workout, then working out actually increases this deficit and can cause it to become too large which can make things hard and/or slow down weight loss. This doesn't happen for everyone but seems to happen for most. And really I'd rather eat more when presented with the option.
  • brarew
    brarew Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Okay, first the disclaimer....I am not a medical professional nor am I a trainer. Now I think after 35 you process differently, so that being said I not only don't eat back my exercise calories, but I don't even reach my calorie limit. If I do eat my full 1200 I either don't lose at all or gain weight. I am 45 soon to be 46 and I have lost 35 pounds since starting MFP on June 15. I know alot of women who look great are going to tell you to eat those calories, but look at their starting weight and age. One of them is 19, I could eat a whole chocolate cake at 19 and not gain a pound. I think everone has to find their own balance, if you eat them and lose weight hurray, if you don't lose weight then modify your calories until you do, then you will have your "number". I have had to adjust my number as I lose because it now takes more exercise to burn the same calories. Please read everyones advise and take it all seriously then determine on your own how "your body" works. Mine is different than yours, and I'm guessing the other advisors are different too, so it has to be about you, one size does not fit all ages and fitness levels and metabolism functions. Hang in there and you will figure it out. Good Luck!
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Seriously, this question gets asked at least twice a day (and many others too) There is a great tool called the SEARCH button above this forum...It will answer all your questions! Good luck to you! This is a great site.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Nonsense, think about it! Burn 1200 cals at the gym, go home, shower, eat 1200 calories! Why go to the gym, your net calories for weight loss should be less than the calories burned during excercise. Eat back calories burned when you are maintaining your weight. If you eat back everything you burn then you won't lose. Marycmeadows is right, eat back some if you need to. Good luck!

MFP gives you are calorie deficit if you work out or not (say you burn 2000 just by living, it tells you to eat 1500, deficit =500). So hypothetically you will lose weight without working out. You should lose the same amount of weight by eating your goal and not working out as you do by working out and eating your goal plus your exercise calories (burn 2000 by leaving, burn 500 by exercising = 2500 burned, then you eat 2000. Deficit = 500).
  • aab2011
    Options
    This is a debateable question for sure. If I am not hungry I don't eat them back, or I eat some of them back. I think it was a waste of my time to go work out and then eat all of the calories back. Yesterday I had an intense workout and was starving at dinner time so I only ate half of them back. I also try to watch what I am eating back, although I do a pretty intense workout Friday mornings so I can enjoy happy hour friday afternoon.
  • aab2011
    Options
    One other point, I think eating back your workout calories can gear you up for mainaince which is why I don;t do it much now. My thoughts are when I get to maintaince I will work out to eat !
  • morriusmfp
    morriusmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat them back if I'm hungry. If I've hit my limit and I'm still hungry, I do some cardio to 'earn' some calories and then eat those back. You're already at a calorie deficit to begin with, you don't need to finish under a deficit.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I so agree with not eating them all back! Also, don't forget that once you throw menopause in there, you really become a slow burner. I am eating about 1400 cals/day and burning about 2300 on the average for a deficit of 900/day avg. I am losing about 1.5 lbs/week. I will agree that if I burn up around 2800/day I am really hungry and need to eat more and will probably go up to 1600-1700 calories for the day. I don't believe there is one steadfast rule on this.
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think this is a 50/50 thing.. I never do unless I am going to a wedding or holiday or something.. some people are comfy eating back their work out calories. :) its all about what ever you are comfy with <3
  • JohnnyStorm
    JohnnyStorm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how quickly you want to lose weight, how much of a deficit and how hungry you feel.

If I eat to my calorie max then the computer tells me that I will lose .9lbs per week and there is nothing wrong with that. That is good weight loss and healthful. However; for the time being I am usually eat under and have experienced a higher per week weight loss. On days when I am really hungry I don't sweat eating back or even over my calories. I have to listen to what my body is telling me as well as what MFP is telling me.