Stopped Smoking - Gained 50 pounds

Options
Hello,

I've been on MFP for years now, but haven't been active...

I stopped smoking in May - and since then have gained 50 pounds. I'm not one for new Years Resolutions normally, but I will admit that my weight gain has affected me a lot, physically, but also mentally. I am unhappy every time I look in the mirror, every time my SO wants to be intimate, every time someone wants to take a picture... I am unhappy each time I have to put on my work uniform, when it pinches and clearly shows that I've gained weight... I am unhappy, period.

Anyways, I'm trying this again. 3 Years ago I lost 10 pounds using the Keto Diet, then I lost my Gallbladder, so this time, I am simply going for an altered Diet, aiming for a Calorie deficit, as my body now rejects foods high in fats.
Severe knee pain due to arthritis will keep me from being overly active, but my dog is certainly looking forward to longer walks. Now I must only actually get myself to stick with it.

It's shocking to admit to myself that I have become who I have always judged. Wish me luck.

Replies

• mrsmeganharding
    mrsmeganharding Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I have heard that we really just trade habits in. Seems like you traded smoking for food. Thinking you could trade eating in for chewing gum, low cal popcorn, etc.
  • wcd91
    wcd91 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I have heard that we really just trade habits in.

I would say that that's accurate. I started eating tons of candy, every time I wanted to smoke, I would eat a candy instead, or chew a gum, gnaw on the end of a pencil, or eat a sucker... certainly no healthy choices.

I'm excited for this journey, it's been too long since I've felt healthy.

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations for quitting smoking. That is not an easy thing to do and was the best thing you could have done for your health, even with the ensuing weight gain. So it is something you should be proud of, and not dismayed by.

The even better news is that you are trying to tackle overeating now as well. Just like you beat smoking, you can beat that. You are in the right place for it. Good luck on your journey!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,452 Member
    Options
    Jan. 2nd was my 1 year anniversary being smoked free.....Congrats to you quitting too ....I too put on a lot of weight ...we can and will succeed ...you got this ...add me if you would like a cheerleader while you are on your journey...wishing you much success :)
  • jaime1514
    jaime1514 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I stopped 3 months ago while on the keto diet but I couldn't do both keto and stop so we went off keto then thanksgiving and christmas came so we just stayed off. I am now 15 lbs over my start weight from last year... I couldn't put on my pants that I had bought as a good job present to myself for losing weight. Good Luck to you!!!!!