new

Options
Just here for motivation. Started tracking food and exercising and gained .6 of a pound this week. Discouraged. Not really understanding how to post on here.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If your body isn't used to exercise, you've most likely gained water weight. You need to look at a longer term trend, I'd recommend 4-6 weeks. On top of weighing, you could also regularly measure yourself (waist, hips, arms, thighs,....).

On a side note, are you sure you're logging your food correctly? A food scale is highly recommended, and as the entries in the MFP are user created, you need to check and make sure you are using entries that are correct.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Well, you figured out how to post here . . . so I'm betting you can figure out the weight loss part, too.

That comment above about water weight is spot on. If you're a premenopausal woman, the hormonal cycles can involve up to several pounds of meaningless water-weight ups and downs over the course of a month, and that's not the only possible source of water weight variation.

It's a tough/frustrating thing that water weight fluctuations can mask fat loss on the scale for days to weeks, but fat loss - the part most of us care about - is a long game. Patience is crucial! :)

The "Most Helpful Posts" sections are really excellent, and I'd suggest starting with the ones in "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness and Diet" are the most useful for folks new to MFP. Maybe start reading one or two of those a day, chipping away at them? It's a help.

This one is a particularly good on-ramp to successful use of MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

As an aside, I took a quick look at your profile, to see if I should include that part about hormone cycling. You're not far from me, it turns out: I'm over West, a little North, in the lower middle of the palm. ;)

Best wishes!
  • nighthazel01
    nighthazel01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’m doing the same. It’s hard to track your food correctly when you’re cooking yourself, remember portion size and log everything, even small bites and snacks.