Resting heart rate

Options
Hi I have a question. Resting heart rate should be between 60-100 lower is better etc. is it considered a resting heart rate while standing and cooking gently walking etc normal daily activities ? My heart rate while I was just doing the dishes after cooking my meal preps was 105 I felt fine still do now that I sat it’s down to 86. Should you still be at resting heart rate doing daily chores and easy activities ?

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    No, resting heart rate should be taken when you are not moving around and have been truly at rest for a period of time. According to the American Heart Association:

Resting heart rate is the number of times your heart beats per minute when it's at rest. The best time to find your resting heart rate is in the morning after a good night's sleep and before you get out of bed. Typically, an adult’s resting heart rate is 60-100 beats per minute. However, for people who are physically fit, it's generally lower. Also, resting heart rate usually rises with age.
  • WickedWitchy13
    WickedWitchy13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you !! I looked down at my Fitbit and was like okay I’m simply cooking and cleaning and sorta freaked out. Thank you 😊
  • WickedWitchy13
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    As @RunsWithBees says, the best time to check your resting heart rate is in the morning when you wake up. Another time you can take it is close to bedtime, after you have been sitting and relaxing for a while, or after you get into bed. My HR is very similar at those two times, a little lower in the morning by 3-4 beats. The evening check produces a result more similar to what the doctor will find when I'm sitting in his office, which is why I like it better than the morning reading.

If you want to reduce your HR, consistent daily cardio will do it, helping with both your resting HR but also narrowing the gap between your resting (lowest possible) HR and how high it goes when you're standing and doing dishes and the like.

When I started in May, very out of shape at 320 pounds, my RHR was 84 and it could easily get to around 117 with mild activity. My weight's come down, but also, I do 45-60 mins of cardio every day. My morning RHR is now 56-57 and my HR rarely goes over 85 during the day, except when I'm working out. Pretty huge difference. Consistent exercise over time strengthens the heart muscle and really helps with this. Also, it has very beneficial impact on blood pressure too.

Thanks for your reply as well !! Yes I am looking to get my heart rate down. My health and weight has been put on the back burner far too long and I have gained well over 60lbs since having my son 6 years ago. Now it’s time for me to get back to me. :-) and heart rate being healthy is on the top along with my weight back to where it should be so I can feel good inside and out.

Thanks so much :-)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Any time I stand up I seem a jump in HR. ITs normal.
  • WickedWitchy13
    Options
    Well I’m glad I’m not alone I have since noticing checking everything bending down to the ground, standing , doing chores etc it jumps lol.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    If your Fitbit has a heart rate monitor, it will also calculate your resting heart rate, and will update each day.
  • WickedWitchy13
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    If your Fitbit has a heart rate monitor, it will also calculate your resting heart rate, and will update each day.
    Yeah it does which I was happy with that calculation. I just jumped to worry when noticed
  • andrewhanson2013
    andrewhanson2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You’re welcome! Talking about freaking out, my resting heart rate is 44 and occasionally dips lower but that is my normal. When I needed to have a hospital procedure last year I had to mention it to all the docs and nurses because I kept setting off the heart rate monitor alarms :D I was a bit paranoid about them thinking something was wrong with my heart and doing unnecessary treatments. When I was waking up from the anesthesia my bf said one of the nurses who hadn’t previously worked with me was getting concerned looking at the monitor saying something to the effect of “her heart rate is going too low” As I started waking up I began proclaiming loudly “I’m a runner! I’m a runner!” :D:D:D Good luck on your fitness journey! :)

I Hear you here. I'm a big guy and my resting heart rate is typically mid 40s. Even at the gym my HR barely goes over 100. I think my heart is lazier than I am.