Buying a treadmill

Options
allother94
allother94 Posts: 588 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Any advice on this. I want something that will last and take a small beating from my 200lb body and 3x a week plan. I was thinking craigslist around Feb when the demand decreases...

Replies

• allother94
    Options
    Btw - this is mostly for my wife since she doesn’t like temperatures outside the range of 65 - 75 and hates the gym.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Do thorough research on brands and models. Be careful buying used.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    In the meantime, have your wife check out walking videos (YouTube, DVDs, or library rentals). There are many to choose from: Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith are the big 2, but there are other assorted videos something might click.

The reason I say this (from experience) - I used to have a treadmill. I went thru watching TV, listening to music, listening to audiobooks and finally gave up. I got extremely bored. Now I prefer walking DVDs. I use Just Walk DVDs because I can choose to do workouts without instruction (music only). WOW (walking online workouts) is another option without the chatter.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jessica+smith+walking+workouts
  • allother94
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    Do thorough research on brands and models. Be careful buying used.

If used, what do I need to watch out for?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If you plan to run on it don't be cheap. You will waste your money. I went that route and then had to replace it (even though I rarely use it).

Checkout https://www.treadmilldoctor.com for reviews and advice.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    How much are you willing to spend?

If you want to run on it, plan to spend at least $1k (USD). That would be rock bottom. Cheaper models just won’t hold up to the wear and tear.

I am short and small and managed to make do with a $400 pro form. No one else (in my family) fit on it (belt too short and narrow for most people), and I fell off the back often (belt too short even for a shortie like me) but I made it work (it was right up against a wall so “fall off” didn’t really happen-but my feet did slip off the back). And I don’t know if I would have wanted to spend more when I wasn’t sure I would stick with it.

I blew the motor once and then when the whole thing started thinking, clunking, the belt started fraying and it smelled funny, I decided to replace it. It’s been 8+ years and I’m training for my second marathon so I guess this is a thing I do now and I’m probably going to stick with it. No qualms dropping $1500 (on 0% financing) on a new one.

I regret not having it replaced it year’s ago. Night and day difference. The new one is quiet, solid, and large enough that I have yet to fall off the back or step on the sides. While not necessary-it also includes iFit-which allows me to map a route and the treadmill will automatically adjust incline/decline to match the route and show me google street view as I go. I’m stuck on the treadmill right now for a number of reasons and that really is making a big difference in alleviating boredom.

Icon fitness brands (proform, NordicTrack, Golds gym, etc) have wildly varying reviews. They also have a huge share of the market. My first and my replacement treadmill have both been icon fitness (first program, now NordicTrack). However, there are lots of reviews about less than optimal customer service experiences-particularly in reference to repairs/replacements.

When you buy used-you don’t know if it’s one of those that someone gave up on having proform honor a warranty, or been used (possibly nearly to its useful lifespan), or perhaps been in a damp/flooded basement/garage, or was it assembled correctly, or maybe had a bowling ball dropped on the bed, experienced power surges, had any kind of maintenance, etc. Or maybe it really was just sitting in a spare bedroom being used as a towel rack. Who knows?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the cheap ones. Gym-style ones are at least $2.5k. (Actual gym models are >$5k.) Also, they need service occasionally, so budget for that.

This explains why I keep paying for the gym!
  • bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I bought one on Kijiji for $100. No way in hell am I spending the same amount of money on a treadmill as I could a nose job. Or a trip to Cuba.

Especially in your case as you expect it to take a beating! My advice is to get one ASAP and start your journey. If you keep at it for a year treat yourself to a nicer one.