NSV: Eating More (scary!)

Options
I will try/do just about anything to avoid a plateau....I've avoided one for practically 3 months. But with going back to work and getting ready for the new school year, I was headed for that much dreaded plateau (again). After one week of no loss, and then a gain of 3 pounds, I only had one more weapon in my plateau-avoidance arsenal....but I was TERRIFIED to use it. However, I was more terrified about what my scale did for 3 days in a row so I did the unthinkable...I began to eat more. I increased my calories from 1300 to 1500. This was the most terrifying thing because, after all, eating too much is how I got here in the first place, right?

Well, it worked. I simply was not eating enough for my new, more active lifestyle. Within 3 days of increasing my calories I lost the 3 pounds I gained and another .5 pounds for a total loss of 22.5 pounds in 3 months. Who would've thought that eating more could actually be an NSV.

Replies

• melmck2011
    Options
    It's funny how these things work isn't it? Great job on the weight loss :smile:
  • AlyAnt26
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I have noticed my net calories have been WAY too low with all my new exercise, and have been hovering in the same range for a week or so now...I know I need to up the cals some days (and started yesterday) but was feeling nervous!
    You're doing awesome!!! Thanks for sharing your story :)
  • bostonbound85
    bostonbound85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me!!! It is really scary! The difference with me in the past was, I was eating more but not active :) Our bodies have a strange way of working, but I'll just go with it.

What really is weird for me, is I don't necessarily have to restrict myself from all the foods I love. Just in moderation, and look at that, I've still lost weight. In a weird way I can have my cake in eat it too. (just a small slice, not the whole thing :drinker: )
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! UNBELIEVABLE...I have to keep that in mind. Certainly understand being terrified I definately would be too. But I MUST remember that. Thanks for sharing. : )
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    AMEN! Congrats!!
  • ssanderbrink
    ssanderbrink Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I was taking in around 1200 cal a day and quit losing. I increase to 1400 and try not to drop below. I began losing again. Someone told me my body was probably on starvtion mode and to increase. I was pleasantly suprised that it worked. Your doing great. :happy:
  • kjpersich
    kjpersich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I read about how sometimes a plateau can be triggered by a drop in leptin levels in your brain. Leptin is directly linked to your metabolism. If your leptin level is low, then your metabolism runs low. There is a direct correlation between leptin and carbs. If you are eating a high protein, low carb diet then your leptin levels will drop. To raise it, you need to eat carbs. This doesn't mean eat junk carbs. Spend one day eating carbs like oatmeal, fruit, beans to boost your leptin levels. Stay within your calorie range of course. But then the next day, go back to your low carb diet. I tend to alternate low carb days with higher carb days to keep my body guessing.