Keto Mom

Options
So how many here are on keto with a toddler or child? We have done it with our son and it worked till Halloween lol. I was just wondering how many other moms have done it with their kids and how well it worked out for you? We only did it for a few months and lost about 30 lbs I managed to gain it all back over the holidays with 20 more of its friends. :(
We are also trying for another baby and I wanted to know how well keto worked during pregnancy.

Replies

• wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Are you putting your toddler on keto? Or just finding it hard to find the time to do it with a toddler?
  • jaime1514
    jaime1514 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    He just kinda gets roped into it at dinners. Breakfast and lunch aren't keto.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It’s a bad idea to eat at a calorie deficit during pregnancy, so if you’re doing keto to lose weight it’s probably best to wait until you’ve given birth.
    I don’t know much about keto so can’t say whether one keto meal per day would have much effect on a toddler, but again it’s a bad idea for growing children to eat at a deficit.
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am also trying for a baby. My doctor told me that weight loss through pregnancy was ok. It will be slow as she wont want me on a high deficient and gets counteracted by the weight gain from the baby/placenta but she doesnt want me to stop losing weight. As far as the specific diet, she said we will discuss that once I am pregnant. I am approved for keto prepregnancy but assume she will adjust once I'm pregnant.
  • Bekah7482
    Options
    Bekah7482 wrote: »
    I am also trying for a baby. My doctor told me that weight loss through pregnancy was ok. It will be slow as she wont want me on a high deficient and gets counteracted by the weight gain from the baby/placenta but she doesnt want me to stop losing weight. As far as the specific diet, she said we will discuss that once I am pregnant. I am approved for keto prepregnancy but assume she will adjust once I'm pregnant.

not sure how this is relevant - just because your doctor recommended this for you, doesn't mean it is appropriate for the OP in any way.

I am simply telling her my experience.
  • Bekah7482
    Options
    Bekah7482 wrote: »

not sure how this is relevant - just because your doctor recommended this for you, doesn't mean it is appropriate for the OP in any way.

Especially since others have come on to tell her she cant lose weight through pregnancy. Showing her that a doctor told me I could. She should obviously discuss her individual situation with her Obgyn once she is pregnant but why is it ok for people who are not doctors to come tell her no and I cant share my experience of being told yes by a professional?
  • jaime1514
    jaime1514 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    jaime1514 wrote: »
    So how many here are on keto with a toddler or child? We have done it with our son and it worked till Halloween lol. I was just wondering how many other moms have done it with their kids and how well it worked out for you? We only did it for a few months and lost about 30 lbs I managed to gain it all back over the holidays with 20 more of its friends. :(
    We are also trying for another baby and I wanted to know how well keto worked during pregnancy.

1. I disagree completely with feeding a toddler a keto diet, barring compelling medical reasons and under a doctor's supervision. You walked this back a bit and said it's really just dinner. So add some pasta, bread, potatoes or other starchy veggies to his meal.

2. When you say "we" lost 30 pounds and then gained it back over the holidays plus 20 more, who lost and gained how much? A collective 50-pound weight gain over 3 months is a lot and doesn't speak greatly to the sustainability of this particular way of eating for you (and your family, I guess).

It was 6 months (Summer then Halloween Thanksgiving and Christmas) and it was me. I can't speak for my husband. And as for my son he isn't on keto he is kinda roped in at dinners. For breakfast he has cereal and lunch is like a sandwich or Raman
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

1. I disagree completely with feeding a toddler a keto diet, barring compelling medical reasons and under a doctor's supervision. You walked this back a bit and said it's really just dinner. So add some pasta, bread, potatoes or other starchy veggies to his meal.

2. When you say "we" lost 30 pounds and then gained it back over the holidays plus 20 more, who lost and gained how much? A collective 50-pound weight gain over 3 months is a lot and doesn't speak greatly to the sustainability of this particular way of eating for you (and your family, I guess).

It was 6 months (Summer then Halloween Thanksgiving and Christmas) and it was me. I can't speak for my husband. And as for my son he isn't on keto he is kinda roped in at dinners. For breakfast he has cereal and lunch is like a sandwich or Raman

While I've gained 50 pounds back before, it took quite a few years. To regain 50 pounds in 6 months suggests that keto is likely unsustainable for you. I recommend you find a way of eating that doesn't have a boomerang effect on you.