Alcohol?

Options
Anyone have a problem with alcohol????

I dont drink during the week, but hello weekend and I'm throwing back wine and vodka like nobodies business! Weeks progress ruined through alcohol calories, not being able to workout due to a hangover, and greasy "feel better" food.

Just wondering your experiences?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tracking your alcohol beforehand to help with moderating it? I can't actually say I relate, I'm not much of a drinker. I only drink on major holidays. Food is where I struggle with self-control.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I dont drink during the week, but hello weekend and I'm throwing back wine and vodka like nobodies business! Weeks progress ruined through alcohol calories, not being able to workout due to a hangover, and greasy "feel better" food.

This is me 100%. My weekends are very social and I just got fed up with drinking to excess and my weight staying at maintenance. For the last few months I have been conditioning my mind to stop at 3 vodka and club sodas on the weekend. I have been seeing results, weight is dropping and I can get up the next morning with no hangover. I am not sleeping the day away trying to recover. I feel so much better and I am able to accomplish a lot on the weekends.

You just have to make the final decision to do it!
  • kirstengeffen
    kirstengeffen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

This is me 100%. My weekends are very social and I just got fed up with drinking to excess and my weight staying at maintenance. For the last few months I have been conditioning my mind to stop at 3 vodka and club sodas on the weekend. I have been seeing results, weight is dropping and I can get up the next morning with no hangover. I am not sleeping the day away trying to recover. I feel so much better and I am able to accomplish a lot on the weekends.

I'm such an all or nothing person!
    Even if I say I'm gonna have 3, I wont..... I think I'm gonna have to go cold Turkey!!!!!
  • kirstengeffen
    Options
    Have you tried tracking your alcohol beforehand to help with moderating it? I can't actually say I relate, I'm not much of a drinker. I only drink on major holidays. Food is where I struggle with self-control.

It's the bane of my existence!!!!
    Even if I try track before, after the first 3 I lose inhibition and bleeeuuuuggghhhh
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Even if I try track before, after the first 3 I lose inhibition and bleeeuuuuggghhhh

Step 1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

I dealt with it by stopping drinking many years ago. :):flowerforyou: Sounds a bit unmanageable to me. Not stopping when I wanted...drinking more than I intended, losing inhibition, eating more than I planned, etc. ETC.

• kirstengeffen
    Options
    Step 1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

https://www.alcohol.org/alcoholics-anonymous/

I dealt with it by stopping drinking many years ago. :):flowerforyou: Sounds a bit unmanageable to me. Not stopping when I wanted...drinking more than I intended, losing inhibition, eating more than I planned, etc. ETC.

I actually did attend AA a few years back!
    I read "this naked mind" last night, made so much sense to me, and they have a "30 day experiment" which everyday they send you info, a video and a piece of journal to fill in.

I know I cant do moderation.
    Gonna try my best!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

I read "this naked mind" last night, made so much sense to me, and they have a "30 day experiment" which everyday they send you info, a video and a piece of journal to fill in.

Gonna try my best!

Yeah, moderation....:lol:

Abstinence is easier. There's an ongoing no alcohol thread here in Challenges...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10688061/the-sober-squad-alcohol-free-living/p139

"This Naked Mind" is awesome. She has a good podcast, too.

https://thisnakedmind.com/category/podcast/

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

I'm such an all or nothing person!
    Even if I say I'm gonna have 3, I wont..... I think I'm gonna have to go cold Turkey!!!!!

I know exactly what you mean as I am an ALL or nothing person as well. Like this weekend I didnt drink Friday or Saturday. Sunday I had 3 champagne glasses with dinner. I stopped right at that. I was able to get up this morning and go to my Alpha Metcon class. Typically I would miss my Monday morning workouts.

I realize that I have to learn moderation because there will always be some kind of social event in my life. And I am learning that I can still have fun with a couple of drinks and not be the drunk slob kabob in the group!
  • kirstengeffen
    Options

Gonna try my best!

Yeah, moderation....:lol:

Abstinence is easier. There's an ongoing no alcohol thread here in Challenges...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10688061/the-sober-squad-alcohol-free-living/p139

"This Naked Mind" is awesome. She has a good podcast, too.

https://thisnakedmind.com/category/podcast/

Thanks so much!!! I will also give those podcasts a listen!
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tracking your alcohol beforehand to help with moderating it?

This is excellent advice. I've done it myself when I hit one of those "I reeeealllyyy want some wine" weekends, and at least half the time seeing the logged calories before I've actually ingested them makes me change my mind. One glass does not do the trick for me; I'm committed to at least three if I have any at all.