Best Workout for Joint Issues?

Options
I have issues with my knees and elbows: arthritis, joint damage, etc. I am joining a gym, but definitely don’t want to injure myself. What is best to keep some intensity up and still go easy on my joints?

Replies

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    If chosen gym has a pool(s) lap, exercise and or therapy (warm water) I would favor that. My place does and I have been doing nearly all my exercise there in my post hip replacements (2019) life. The range of benefit is wide, good cardio, low impact and range of motion. I've never stopped doing my PT, I just moved it to the water and added a bunch of stuff. It's been great. Good luck.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Agree with water workouts. Stretch before and after workouts. Recumbent bike.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Current evidence suggests strength training is very beneficial for chronic pain and joint issues and for autoimmune diseases such as RA and psoriasis that damage the joints progressively. There is established evidence of reversing osteoarthritis and bone density increasing as well many other benefits.

Strengthening the muscles would improve the quality of life.

I highly suggest resistance training using auto regulation. This will help with training the correct amount of intensity along allow better recovery.

I utilize RPE in my programming for nearly everyone. I find it useful for myself and others that deal with simular issues as you.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Strength training is great for joints. It strengthens the muscles around the joints supporting them better. Plus it increase bone density which can part of the problem with achy joints. Within a month of starting lifting most of the chronic pain I had in my back (from a broken back) and hip pain was gone. I did mostly barbell lifts (rows, squats, deadlifts, OHP..ect.), key is to just start out light. The strong lifts app is great, just start with the bar and work your way up.
  • sweat4fun85
    sweat4fun85 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do what doesn’t hurt, but periodically try the things that previously hurt to see if they still hurt.