Building endurance for spring hiking

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I walk on a treadmill 2-4 miles a day at an average rate of 4.2 mph. What would be the best way to build up endurance to start hiking when snow(and mud!)season passes? Would it be increase of length, speed, incline, combo? And how quickly should I attempt to do it? ATM I'm trying to walk at a 4.1 rate with a 30% incline and it's challenging, just to give you an idea of where I'm at. Also, I'm a 66 yo F, pretty much at my goal weight, with no known health issues.
Thanks for any help you can give!!

Oh, and when it's not so cold anymore, I'll take my walking outside because our town is very hilly which would be the perfect build-up for hiking. But I'm a wimp and hate the cold. :(

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    To some extent, it will depend on what the terrain is like and what "hiking" means to you in your area. I'd start with increasing duration and go from there. Increasing incline or even moving to a stepper could be beneficial, again depending on what the terrain is like where you'll be hiking.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Can you explain what your goals are? For example, I'm hiking this summer and doing around 80 - 100 miles in the rockies with 25 - 35lbs on my back, so it will be very tough and takes a ton of training. I have been hitting the gym extremely hard working on building up my back strength, leg strength, and more. Once spring hits, I'm going to start hitting one of our local ski areas, that has hills, and do that 2 times a week.l

While others may just be using day packs and doing 6 miles.

It sounds like you are doing well, but please let us know what your goals are.
  • jflongo
    Options
    Here is an article too, if you want to read through it.

https://www.backpacker.com/skills/how-to-get-in-shape-for-hiking
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would not rely on just the treadmill. I would start using the stepmill (Stairmaster) at the gym. And if you have any buildings over five floors in your area stairclimbing would be the fastest way to get in hiking shape without actually hiking. Also descending during hiking is actually harder on your body than the uphills. So, doing a few sets each week of front and side stepdowns from a platform or step is very important.
  • Noahsmum1975
    Noahsmum1975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dear all....I trained for the coast to coast, I'm.no slim Jim but I spent six months at the gym 3 times a week walking at 2.5 mph on a steep Incline on treadmill. Also, I even wore my rucksack to the gym with weights I! Got me noticed but was ok and boy did I fly up those fells.
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    Well, no trekking through the Himalayas or anything, just day hikes through the Vt./N.H. state parks. :) My main goal is to be able to climb the mountains without stopping for a break every 5 minutes. :blush: Been a lot of years since I've gone hiking and have already asked my dear (fit) friend if she'd take it up with me this year. She can't wait to go. But she's also got lots of endurance and stamina from years of walking/jogging miles and miles......and miles. I just don't want to slow her down or have to say 'I'll wait for you at the bottom'. KWIM? :blush:
    She's already talking about hiking Mount Washington and I'd like to start something a bit smaller. Lol
    Thanks everybody!!
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Also, google "rucking"(nothing crude its just the military name for fast walking with a loaded backpack)
    Its the way military units have gotten in quick hiking shape for thousands of years now.
    You will typically burn three times the calories you would walking without a pack. And it strengthens your whole posterior chain.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    More time, less intensity. Walking, even uphill, is easier than deadlifts and sprints. But it takes a long time. So the most beneficial exercise you can do now is anything that you'll do for a long time. Endurance is the goal, and comes from enduring.

Carrying a pack now will help, too. It's not really about making the stuff you're doing now more difficult, it's to get your body accustomed to the pull of the straps on your shoulders.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don’t focus so much on speed and start focusing on overall body conditioning. Hiking involves using your entire body so incorporate strength training, stair master for hills. People at my local gym put their hiking boots on, through on a backpack filled with books and get on the treadmill or stair master to train. HIIT classes can also help along with yoga/Pilates for balance. Hope you go to the White Mountains I’ve not been but it’s on my list.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Climb real stairs whenever you can. Up and down.
  • jflongo
    Options
    Like many others have mentioned, go outside and hike if you can, or hit stairs, start with an empty backpack on. Then after a week or two, add 5 or 10 lbs to it, and so on.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    If you hike faster, you feel less cold :)

(Also, it is possible to put on a LOT of layers. I'm currently hiking wearing a gym tank top, with a t-shirt over that, with a light fleece over that, with a gilet over THAT. If it gets colder I'll start with a thermal vest under the tank top, and/or add my waterproof over the gilet...)
  • ReenieHJ
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Don’t focus so much on speed and start focusing on overall body conditioning. Hiking involves using your entire body so incorporate strength training, stair master for hills. People at my local gym put their hiking boots on, through on a backpack filled with books and get on the treadmill or stair master to train. HIIT classes can also help along with yoga/Pilates for balance. Hope you go to the White Mountains I’ve not been but it’s on my list.

The White Mountains hold so many dear memories of childhood for me. We used to go all the time and ended up taking our kids there too. Spent lots of time around Franconia Notch area; it's like heaven on earth. :) I do hope you get to go; I only live about a 35 minute drive away.

And thanks for the suggestions. :) When the weather takes a turn for warmer temps I plan to walk all over our little town; it's nothing but hills. :)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I found weight training (squats, deadlifts) to make a pretty large difference for me within a fairly short time after hiking for many years.