How can I safely start intermittent fasting?

Options
LPyMP
LPyMP Posts: 5 Member
I'd like to try intermittent fasting if it's safe for me to do so. I normally don't eat after 6-7 pm but not always. I'm wondering if I do this every day will it help me with weightloss?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If a smaller window of eating times helps you consistently reduce calories, then it will help with weight loss.

You can start with a larger eating window and then just reduce it over time. Just meet the calorie goal MFP gave you to lose weight. There's a fairly active group you could join.

• Stiles321
    Stiles321 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just be careful you don’t trick your body into starvation mode or it will have the opposite effect and your body will go into survival mode and store weight. I’m not well versed in this, but have heard that is a concern. It might be why the other comment mentioned maintaining your calories
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    LPyMP wrote: »
    I'd like to try intermittent fasting if it's safe for me to do so. I normally don't eat after 6-7 pm but not always. I'm wondering if I do this every day will it help me with weightloss?

What dangers are you concerned with? Just pick an eating window, try it out, and see how it agrees with you.

IF helps with weight loss if it helps you hit your calorie goal. For some people, IF helps control appetite and cravings. For others, it can lead to increased appetite followed by overeating when the window opens. Or it can work too well and lead to undereating. If you log your food and mind how you feel, you can find out if it will help or just make things tougher for you personally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

IF is just an eating window timing thing. It may help with weight loss if it helps you stay in a consistent calorie deficit...but people use IF to maintain and gain weight as well...it doesn't just default to losing weight.

People used to call it skipping breakfast.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I started IF before it was really a thing by limiting to a 12 hour window and it really helped with late night snacking. Now I aim for a 16 hour fast with an 8 hour eating window. Somedays I only hit 14 other I am not hungry until 18hours. Figure out what your typical window is not and bump up breakfast a couple of hours and see how you feel.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

I would guess only your doctor can tell you if it's "safe" for you because you might have some particular health condition.

For the vast majority of people, it's perfectly fine to limit eating hours, as long as it doesn't lead to undereating or triggers an eating disorder (pre-existing or new).

As said above, safe weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit while still getting adequate nutrition. This can easily be done - and for some done more easily - in a restricted eating window.

If it fits your lifestyle and helps you create a reasonable deficit, go for it!

Treat it as an experiment. If you find it doesn't work, try something else. That's not a "failure" or a reason to give up on losing weight.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You can also try an app to help you. There are lots - I use Zero. It helps me track my fasting period (right now just doing about 14/8) and it comes with articles, tips, videos and more for the beginner IF'er.