I'm a gainer...

Options
Hi!

Gonna sound odd but I'm using MFP to help me GAIN weight. Came perilously close to death last year. Not an "eating disorder" but recurrent pancreatitis. Coupled with a thrombosis that severely limited liver function, my weight plunged from around 9.5 stone to under 5 stone! I'm far from safe now, 16 months on...

MFP is great! I'm able to track intake far better, so I should now see a steady gain. If I had to suggest an improvement, it would be to be able to set gain targets greater than the current 1lb max.

Replies

• redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you. I hope MFP helps you reach your goals.
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My thought on MFP is it's here for everyone to learn to eat healthy, doesn't matter if your over weight under weight or right at your perfect weight we all need to learn to eat right and stay healthy! Hope your journey is sucessful!! :drinker:
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You *should* be able to override the guided setting and set your own custom calorie goal (I know that those of us who are losing can do this, so I don't see why that would be different for gainers). When you click on goals, choose "Custom" and enter the calories you need to gain the amount per week you would like (add 500 to your daily maintenance goal for 1 lb gain, 1000 for 2 lbs, etc.).

Hope that helps and best of luck to you!! I know from reading other posts that you gainers have a tough job - far harder than losing.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Not odd really - that's the great thing about MFP. Though it could do with one or two improvements that would help gainers even more.

Good luck with your goals - your on a winner here.

PS - you are far from alone - there are more than a few gainers dingling about :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    MFP is a fitness site & therefore it is for everybody not just for overweight people who want to lose weight. Right now I'm using MFP to maintain my current weight. Wish you the best of luck to your goals!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    As for your suggestion, if you want to gain 2 lbs., on the update your fitness profile settings, you can choose to gain 1 lb. then adjust your food intake by adding an add'l 500 cals to your daily calorie needs so you get a total gain of 1,000cals/day. 3,500 cals/week = 1 lb.gain (500 cals gained/day) & 7,000 cals/week = 2 lbs. gain (1,000 cals gained/day).

It is best if you coupled it up with strength training exercises to help you gain muscles & the weight.
  • knitsteve
    Options
    Thanks folks :smile:

I'll check out those customisation options. I'm hoping the dietitian will be impressed with the data when I next see her.

Unfortunately, my disability severely limits any exercise - I have to preserve what function I still have. In the meantime, I'm envied by friends and family as the hospital's experts insist that I have to forget "healthy eating" until I regain the optimum weight :wink: