Is it possible to 'hit the wall' so soon?

Options
Oh boy, today is not a good day. I joined MFP about a month ago, and logged everything religiously, ate all my exercise calories, and lost 11lbs really quickly, within about 2 weeks. I was getting comments from my family that they noticed the difference, and I felt so much better! But now the last two weeks have been a bit of a mess. I went a bit off the rails and had a few days where pizza and chocolate were eaten and not logged due to guilt, and I gained back 4lbs. Then I was good for 3 days, lost the 4..but they're back again!

I feel like I've been trying hard, but admittedly I've been going over my calories by about 100 or 200. It's my TOM, and so I'm sure that's not helping both my weight and my attitude, but today in particular, I feel like I'm hopeless. That I'll forever waver around this weight and never reach my goal. I read everyone's success stories, and they are so inspirational, you are all amazing! But I feel like that will never be me.

Is it enough to just stay within the calories allowed and get in 3 sets of exercise each week? Or should I really be also making a big push on certain kinds of foods, or eating at a certain time of day, etc etc?

If anyone has any suggestions on kickstarting my enthusiasm, or my lurking pounds, that'd be great! Sorry for such a boo-hoo 'me' post! I blame my hormones!

xx

Replies

• LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, today is not a good day. I joined MFP about a month ago, and logged everything religiously, ate all my exercise calories, and lost 11lbs really quickly, within about 2 weeks. I was getting comments from my family that they noticed the difference, and I felt so much better! But now the last two weeks have been a bit of a mess. I went a bit off the rails and had a few days where pizza and chocolate were eaten and not logged due to guilt, and I gained back 4lbs. Then I was good for 3 days, lost the 4..but they're back again!

I feel like I've been trying hard, but admittedly I've been going over my calories by about 100 or 200. It's my TOM, and so I'm sure that's not helping both my weight and my attitude, but today in particular, I feel like I'm hopeless. That I'll forever waver around this weight and never reach my goal. I read everyone's success stories, and they are so inspirational, you are all amazing! But I feel like that will never be me.

Is it enough to just stay within the calories allowed and get in 3 sets of exercise each week? Or should I really be also making a big push on certain kinds of foods, or eating at a certain time of day, etc etc?

If anyone has any suggestions on kickstarting my enthusiasm, or my lurking pounds, that'd be great! Sorry for such a boo-hoo 'me' post! I blame my hormones!

xx
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

xx

11 pounds in one month....put that on your gratittude list
    it takes a bit more time to do this....settle into it for the long run...good job

read read read ...fitness, nutrition, weight loss..all on the web...drink your water
    this is a lifestyle,,,it is a good one....enjoy rhe journey
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

xx

Aww sorry your feeling down...I think during your TOM you should really push yourself..its hard but it really helps to curb any weight gain and cravings...I think excercising 3-5 times per week for 60minutes and staying withint your allotted calories will work...But you do have to watch what kind of foods your eating otherwise you wont be getting the proper amount of nutrition. Good luck and hang in there ..
  • greeneggsam
    greeneggsam Posts: 121
    Options
    You are doing great! If you let a little slow-down get to you, you will most likely put all of the weight back on. It's only if you keep pushing yourself to stay on track that you will see any more progress.

First off, don't stress about fluctuations in a few days - that's just a matter of water and *ahem* waste in your body at the time. I weigh myself daily (which some people disagree with), but I don't consider it a gain (or loss) if it doesn't stick for at least 3 days.

Second, 100-200 calories over is fine, in my non-professional opinion. Depending on how I've manipulated my goals/activity level, I am recommended 1200-1250 calories per day, but I feel 10 times more satisfied in the 1400 range, so that's what I generally stick to because that's what I can maintain.

And finally, exercising 3 times a week is fine, as long as you are really increasing your heart rate and making the most out of those times. More exercise, of course, is better, but - again - to avoid working out 7 days one week and then not for three months, I stick with what works for my life, about 90 minutes twice a week.

Hope this helps!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that the typical "cheat" foods like pizza for example, pack a LOT of sodium so pair that with TOM, you'll have yourself a significant water weight gain. Drink a lot of water & flush all that crap out!

It takes some time to get the hang of this thing so don't be hard on yourself. You're learning how your body works & what foods are the best fuels for it. Keep making improvements & the scale will keep moving in the right direction.
  • jocelynnbug
    jocelynnbug Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    the same thing happened to me except i didn't loose 11 pounds i kept loosing 6 and gaining it back and back and forth for a few weeks after my first month
    but than i wore this pair of jeans that i always wear but right out of the wash which normally i would have to squeeze into and than they fit so much better
    not totally loose on my hips but they were so much looser and way more comfy
    so i would look at that esp since your family sees a difference i mean its great loosing weight but its how you look and feel
    so keep that in mind :wink:
    i swear every week that pair of jeans and my other jeans that were even tighter keep fitting better
    so don't give up
    i would go over my calories mostly on week ends but it would be like 300-500 saturday and sunday
    so things will get better keep your head up :flowerforyou:
  • donaldliggett
    Options
    Keep going, you are doing great. Chocolate is my weakness also. Just about anything sweet actually. I have found that some of those low-cal cereal bars and oatmeal bars with chocolate chips help with those cravings. Also, low fat yogurt products have some very good flavors for a sweet tooth. Keep it up and you are sure to see results.
  • LMRoses
    LMRoses Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all so much for the replies! It's so good to hear others going through similar experiences, and offering their help. I'm feeling a bit better now, as I got out into the garden and planted some new silverbeet seeds, so I should have lots of beautiful leafy greens out of my own garden in a few weeks/months. I've also planned out my food intake today, and came in at a neat 2 calories below my limit, but seem to have a bit too much protein. That's not too bad, I think.

I just need to be strong, and determined, and remember how much better my body feels, so much stronger and happier!

xx