Bread!

Options
Has anyone had postive results cutting down on bread. I love bread but I feel like every time I try this it's my down fall!
So I have drastically cut down on my servings in bread and upped my veggies. I'm so tired of failing at this . any helpful tips are welcome.😁 :p

Replies

• RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like these.

a7ymd5vq4hpe.png

Arnold Sandwich Thins Flax & Fiber, 1 roll
    Calories 100
    Carbs 21 g
    Fiber 5 g
    Sugar 5 g
    Protein 2 g
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread...everyday. I just make sure that I keep the servings minimal and log it. I also make sure that the bread is worth the calories by ensuring that it nutrient dense. I really like Dave's Killer Bread's 21-grain Thin Sliced. Sometimes I will use the sandwich thins, ones like RCPV linked above, or tortilla wraps. I really like the Flatout Foldit Flatbreads too. They work great for sandwiches.
  • JarheadSFMF
    JarheadSFMF Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had postive results cutting down on bread. I love bread but I feel like every time I try this it's my down fall!
    So I have drastically cut down on my servings in bread and upped my veggies. I'm so tired of failing at this . any helpful tips are welcome.😁 :p

We had the best results cutting out bread completely. Even the GF bread (wife is allergic to gluten).
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I eat bread everyday. There is nothing specific about bread that would cause you to need to cut it out, other than that it is a food with calories and reducing calorie intake is how you lose weight. So sure cutting bread could do that if you don't replace it with anything. As could cutting cheese or soda or beef or bananas or tacos or whatever. But 100 calories from bread is not any worse than 100 calories from something else.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sure, cutting down on bread is definitely one way to create a calorie deficit.

How's your protein? I've discovered that my stress or boredom eating was actually caused by insufficient protein, but my brain got confused and thought I wanted low protein snacky things, and I could eat and eat and eat and never feel satisfied. This went away when I paid more attention to how much protein I had for each meal and snack.

I need more protein but i have alot of trouble getting enough
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    RCPV wrote: »
    I like these.

a7ymd5vq4hpe.png

Calories 100
    Carbs 21 g
    Fiber 5 g
    Sugar 5 g
    Protein 2 g

I'll have try that thanks!
  • 100gramsaday
    100gramsaday Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    For me, I've been avoiding it entirely for the last week with excellent results. I find the best option is to always focus on the protein.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I try to keep bread where bread is tastiest and best appreciated. Tomorrow I've got beef marsala scheduled, with gnocchi (I'm not a fan, but this will use up the packet) and roasted asparagus. I COULD eat garlic bread with this. But I have the gnocchi for starch, there's garlic in the beef marsala, and I won't much miss it. So I'll skip it. Hot dogs, for me, however, require the bun.

(I'm an outlier; my gut won't let me eat most vegetables, so I have to eat more starch than I would otherwise.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I don't avoid bread, but I never ate much before I lost weight, and I still don't.

I think the idea that bread is some special food that must or should be avoided during weight loss is weird. Now, if someone tells me that it's a trigger food for them (much as I can't relate) or simply usually doesn't make the cut based on tastiness vs. alternatives and considering nutritional profile or satiety, I get it. Like I said, I don't eat it much (although see zero reason to cut it out), because I usually prefer other foods.

Eating where tastiest and most appreciated -- I think that makes a lot of sense and it's pretty much what I do about a wide variety of foods.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Seeded wholemeal bread is yummy and good for you. I get mine from the baker if I can.

It's the processed white stuff I avoid.

Nothing like a peanut butter sarnie on seeded bread when I'm out on the bike :)
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I like these.

a7ymd5vq4hpe.png

Calories 100
    Carbs 21 g
    Fiber 5 g
    Sugar 5 g
    Protein 2 g

I'm super excited that they have brought back the original 100 calorie sandwich thins. I never liked the larger 140/150 calorie ones - they always had an undercooked taste to me.

Thanks for posting this. I've gotta keep an eye out for them.
  • gremloBBPT
    gremloBBPT Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I think you'll find that if you make protein your primary goal and stay within your calories, bread won't be an issue (unless it's a trigger food for binging).
  • astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I eat toast a couple of times a week. I eat the highly processed "low calorie" bread, which tastes just OK, but it's a nice carrier for some peanut butter, jam, or cottage cheese and banana. It's also a quick snack when I'm a bit munchy. My favorite way is two slices with 1/4 cup of low-fat cottage cheese, a sliced banana, and a drizzle of honey - it has plenty of protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sure, cutting down on bread is definitely one way to create a calorie deficit.

How's your protein? I've discovered that my stress or boredom eating was actually caused by insufficient protein, but my brain got confused and thought I wanted low protein snacky things, and I could eat and eat and eat and never feel satisfied. This went away when I paid more attention to how much protein I had for each meal and snack.

I found it helpful to prelog my meals and up protein / decrease carbs as necessary.

Are you an omnivore?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I find flour tortillas scorched on the open burner are a pretty good substitute in a bread sandwich - 70 calories.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I like these.

a7ymd5vq4hpe.png

Calories 100
    Carbs 21 g
    Fiber 5 g
    Sugar 5 g
    Protein 2 g

Sandwich thins so far are the only low calorie "bread" I like. I've tried a few including Dave's Killer bread and like all their other breads but was still hungry after eating. I rarely eat bread but will have full calorie with a sandwich. I do like low cal wraps, just discovered Mission carb balance spinach herb and really like them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

If it results in an overall reduction of calories and keeps you in a calorie deficit then sure you would get positive results.