Did you have to get counselling before you started losing weight?

Options
*Sigh* so much emotional baggage. I think I keep self sabotaging because success is so far away, and I'm scared of dating. I think food is one of the only enjoyable/safe/comforting things in my life.

Never the less... off to try again, lol.

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I've gotten counseling off and on ever since my teenage years. :( Most of my issues have always revolved around weight and how I felt about myself. But even with all the counseling I've received, I know that it was up to me, and nobody else, to change my life. It might be the best answer for you, only you can figure that out. Changing my life was what finally helped me. I'm an emotional eater and was constantly stressed out with my line of work. So until that itself was changed, I kept doing what I was doing and getting what I got. :(
    My 27 yo dd has gone through counseling for a few years now, and hopefully it'll help her reach that stage in life where she can make changes in whichever way she needs to to become happier.

If you have a great relationship with a therapist and they can help you discover yourself, then it might be the best thing to get you started! Wishing you the best of luck in changing your life around. You only get one, make it the best one ever!!
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm entitled to ten free sessions where I live, I can't afford any more after that.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Then definitely, if I were you, and you sound like you're struggling under the emotional baggage, make an appt. and see how it goes! Nothing to lose, right? And a happier future to gain!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I've had counseling over a lot of years, for various reasons although my weight was always involved as well. Having the opportunity to talk deeply about something with somebody who was not involved with my life was a tremendous relief. A problem that looks huge from the inside sometimes comes down to a manageable size just by trying to find the words to describe it to someone else.

If you have free sessions, try one and see how you feel about it afterwards. Best of luck to you!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    We have some people that post about wanting to lose weight, but just have so many other problems that it's too hard. I usually advise them to try some counseling so they can get started on weight loss. It just makes sense sometimes. Sounds like it might help you, so why not? Best of luck.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I felt unable to start focusing on my eating until I started going to cognitive behavioral therapy. There was a LOT of baggage attached to my eating habits. I’m so glad I started, and I’m still going 1.5 yrs later (and keeping off a 100lb weight loss).