Calorie restriction

Options
When you first started what did u restrict your daily caloric intake too? I’ve been told by a dr no one should ever restrict below 2000cal/day? I have been successful on WW in the past, I like how your points allotted per day go down as u lose weight I think it makes you more successful!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is flat out wrong.

The number of calories one needs depends on factors such as their height, weight, activity level, and weight related goals (lose, maintain, or gain).

I am under 5 feet tall and maintaining in my optimal BMI range at 1400 calories plus what I burn in exercise each day. My exercise calorie burn is about 450 on days when I run, much less on days when I don’t. I have been in maintenance for over two years after losing 100 pounds, so I know my calorie goal is accurate for me. Obviously, your doctor’s advice would cause me to gain weight.

To set your calorie goal in MFP, you choose a pace of weight loss, which you determine based on how much weight you have to lose, not how fast you want to lose it. You then set an activity level, which reflects your routine non-exercise activity. MFP uses your stats and that information to generate a calorie goal that includes a deficit. You’re intended to eat that number of calories plus all exercise calories, assuming they are calculated accurately.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I agree I gain on 1500 calories a day! My maintenance calories are around 1350/day.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,001 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    find a new Dr, they are wrong! I am 6'1" and started at 280 lbs and ate around 1500-1700 calories for first several months. I am 91 lbs lighter today and still losing a little more, but my base is 1900 plus eating back all my exercise calories. I've set MFP to lose 1/2 lb per week vs around 3-4 lbs at the beginning when I was obese.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    mmcartor wrote: »
    When you first started what did u restrict your daily caloric intake too? I’ve been told by a dr no one should ever restrict below 2000cal/day? I have been successful on WW in the past, I like how your points allotted per day go down as u lose weight I think it makes you more successful!

How much weight do you need to lose?

Go into Goals, set it to, "Lose 1 pound per week," like it suggests. Learn how to log food

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Then log your food and your Exercise for a couple months and see how you do.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My primary doctor has learned a lot from me about weight loss. He freely admits it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You know points is just another way to restrict calories, right?

And what doctor would say never to drop below 2000 for anyone? For some people that is a calorie surplus. Ugh.