Lack of Motivation

beth2662
beth2662 Posts: 16 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm lossing my motivation to diet. I'm not sure why, but it's killing me because I really want to lose the weight it's just so hard!!!!!

Replies

• beth2662
    beth2662 Posts: 16 Member
    I'm lossing my motivation to diet. I'm not sure why, but it's killing me because I really want to lose the weight it's just so hard!!!!!
  • arothermel
    arothermel Posts: 19 Member
    i am right there with you. we have to try to refocus. remember how good it will feel to be skinny
  • ponytailfnp
    ponytailfnp Posts: 15 Member
    I can't remember what it is like to "feel skinny" because I have never felt that..... but after losing 17 lbs in the past 6 weeks, I am beginning to know what it feels like to feel better and to know that soon, I will learn what it feels like to feel healthy. I was thinking as I walked from the far corner of the parking lot to go into work, I am having to work less to walk because my legs aren't so fat and I can breath better and this is beginning to work. That is what I want to focus on.... not the skinny part and I don't want to ever go back to being short of breath just because I had to walk from my car into the building.

Each of has a different reason for losing weight... looking better is just one of mine. I want to be able to play with my little girl without being short of breath or not being able to get down in the floor because I may not be able to get up again.

I also have a horrible family history of diabetes, strokes and heart disease and don't want to die like my grandmother did..... fat and unhappy. One of the last things I remember about her is that all her clothes were stained with the food that she dropped and it all landed on her chest or lap because she was so big... I had the job of going and buying her something new to wear in her coffin because nothing she owned was suitable for her to be presented in.
  • Kirsty
    Kirsty Posts: 40 Member
    We all get our days when we don't want to try anymore,What's the point etc,but all i do is focus on something that will keep me in the right mind,my family are all size 10 12,and it's my dream to be same size as family instead of being left one out in holiday games and rides Etc. We are all beautiful if you eat something you shouldn't don't get upset get back the control,and i usually go out for a walk if i have something i shouldn't,though i do treat myself there is no poin in depriving yourself. Good luck we are all here supporting you. :¤) x
  • Kirsty
    We all get our days when we don't want to try anymore,What's the point etc,but all i do is focus on something that will keep me in the right mind,my family are all size 10 12,and it's my dream to be same size as family instead of being left one out in holiday games and rides Etc. We are all beautiful if you eat something you shouldn't don't get upset get back the control,and i usually go out for a walk if i have something i shouldn't,though i do treat myself there is no poin in depriving yourself. Good luck we are all here supporting you. :¤) x
  • Kirsty
    Sorry for the repeating x
  • okiemoma
    okiemoma Posts: 14 Member
    Yup, right there with ya! As been said, we all have bad days. It may be eating what we shouldn't or just flat not wanting to exercise. Focus on the big picture -- being healthy. If we keep trying, we will get there!
  • WE ALL GET TO THE POINT OF LACK OF MOTIVATION, I AM GOING THREW IT RIGHT NOW , I HONOSTLY PACED BACK AND FORTH YESTERDAY WANTING TO EAT , I OPENED THE CABINETS AND FRIDGE DOOR A HUNDRED TIMES THINKING SOMETHING MIGHT MAGICALLY APPEAR BEFORE MY EYES, LIKE A CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE OR CHEESECAKE.
    THE STUPID THING WAS I WASN'T EVEN HUNGRY, I HAD NOT ONE HUNGER PAIN IN MY STOMACH AT ALL, IT WAS A RUFF DAY FOR ME YESTERDAY AND I ENDED UP OVER EATTING DINNER AND NOT EXERCISING BECAUSE I WAS KINDA DEPRESSED.
    OK, THAT WAS YESTERDAY AND I AM PUTTING IT BEHIND ME AND FOCUSSING ON TODAY, I PICKED MYSELF UP AND DUSTED OFF AND GETTING BACK IN THE SADDLE TODAY.
    SO TO ALL THOSE WHO DO FALL LIKE ME ONCE IN AWHILE, DUST OFF THOSE KNEE'S AND GET BACK ON THE DIET HORSE,,,,LOL
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Don't give up! whenever you have the urge to snack or eat, just log on to this site! Everyone gets a little discuraged, but you can't let it get to you. There are so many people here to support you!
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    When I need motivation I try to do something I can't do because of my weight. For an example bending over to tie my shoes without breathing hard. Or I put on a shirt I know I can't fit into but I want to. These things remind me of why I'm doing this. We all started for a reason Just find the one that works.
  • hannah
    hannah Posts: 22 Member
    If you feel like giving in ,work for what you may want ,a few trips around the block ,a workout in the gym or what ever you like to do and you may not even want what you thought you did...........if you still do then at least you worked for it and gained extra calories........
  • cwalbrj
    cwalbrj Posts: 61
    I also use BigDane's trick of putting on something that I don't quite fit into. I bought a pair of shorts a couple of months ago, which turned out to be a good size too small. I couldn't even button those dang things! Yesterday I put them on and I could actually get the button closed. They are still too tight and they look like I squeezed into shorts that just don't fit anymore. They are now my "goal" shorts (for now). Once I get into those and I feel comfortable, I will go on to the next thing in my closet that I have kept but I just don't fit into anymore (I've got a summer dress that I would love to look good in again).
    Good luck ! We're all here rooting you on...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    We DO all have bad days ! LOL. Yesterday I had so much to do, that when I got hungry - because I had to ignore the clock - I fell back to my "BEFORE" habit of cheese, cereal, triscuits, fruit. I went over my calories but by midnight I still was working on my project, hadn't worked out, and had gone for the fast fix.

Then this morning when I put on some jeans I have, the "muffin top" was gone and everything was right with the world again. You can UNDO any slip-up by more exercise the next day. Sometimes our busy lives cause us to make choices like I did yesterday. But - - the muffin top is STILL gone. I'm still down that 12 pounds. Still at it - I'm off for my walk!

~cmriverside (and kitty Budhi) like "booty"
  • jessbblonde
    jessbblonde Posts: 19 Member
    The way I stay motivated is, I started a reward system and a star chart right above my scale. every pound I get a star and every ten I get a reward like a new outfit or a pedicure, or something for me that is not food. lol. and I have put what I'm going to get after my small goal of five or 10 pounds on the fridge to keep me going.
  • I not only had a bad day, but a bad week! I didn't go over my calories terribly, but I seemed to want chocolate or whatever. I would go to the fridge when I wasn't hungry and so on.

I have an autistic/aspergers son that is trying to transition into middle school. He has had such a hard time mostly with the teachers, because they have not been taught how to deal with special needs children. There is one teacher in particular that wrote me (along with 10 other teachers) an email telling me that it seemed as though he was "working the system" and so on instead of being disabled. I have just been soooooo stressed beyond words and it seems as though sweets has been a comfort.

I am back to eating properly and not having the cravings. I actually went to the store and did my weekly shopping with my healthy food and snacks. I can't work out at a gym or go walking like I would like due to my son, but I am stil working at it. I down 16 pounds in 11 weeks so I think I am doing ok. Life just gets so stressful at times. I like reading the different postings for encouragement.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    brenda,

My sister-friend has a 10 year old disabled son, one of his many problems is autism. I am so sorry that your son's teachers have been insensitive to you and to him.

I understand the stress you are under, though I can't REALLY grasp what life must be like even for my friend, who I see often. It has been a very long road for them, and she sometimes calls and says to me "I'm done." I know you love him, and hope you have found a good support group through your child's hospital or doctor, or you could go online for a support group.

You will feel much better about your situation if you are eating healthy wholesome foods, and getting a bit of exercise. But if you have a bad day - just start again the next day. It's not possible for us to be perfect.

Be gentle with yourself.

~cmriverside
  • Thanks cmriverside.
This discussion has been closed.