Struggle bus

Options
jenniferkaye22
jenniferkaye22 Posts: 84 Member
edited January 2020 in Motivation and Support
I’ve been doing the best I can but i have been struggling. So I keep on loosing 5 pounds then gaining it right back after bad decisions each week. I’m exhausted after work so sometimes I just throw stuff in the oven and there is my supper. Quick and easy. Sundays I do go over to my parents house to eat and they definitely don’t cook healthy food.
I do have my meals planned out for the whole week at times I just don’t go by it when I’m so exhausted. I’m thinking about working out but I have no time or motivation to even get out of bed early enough to workout take a shower and then get ready for work.
I think I’m just venting right now .. or just rambling on

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I get it, exhaustion is a real thing. How about changing your plans to less ambition and more convenience? Based on ”throw stuff in the oven”, if you had healthy options to just throw in the oven, it would be easier? Like frozen vegetables or things you have prepped in the weekend when you maybe had more energy.

Also, your last few sentences of ”I’m so exhausted” and ”I have no time or motivation to even get ouf of bed early enough” sound like you might have some deeper issues. Rest is important, and so is mental health. Coming from a place of love, your weight loss efforts might get a lot easier once you have found help for the exhaustion and possible mental health issues. If you feel like you are in a happy place mentally, then just focus on rest and sleep first.

Lastly, there’s no rule that you have to work out in the morning before work. I would absolutely hate it, so I don’t do it. I also hate leaving again once I come home from work, so I have found that my best time slot for working out is literally on my way home from work - I take my gear with me to work, then go to the gym on my way home.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Could you be depressed? Have you had your thyroid checked lately?

I agree about not working out in the morning if that doesn't work for you. I love to go to the gym right after work and that is something that is easier for me. The best exercise is the kind that you actually do!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Have you tried meal prepping? Make all your dinners ahead of time, so that when you're exhausted, you can just pop them in the microwave.

It's super convenient. I make 30 dinners and just freeze them. Saves a ton of time during the week.

Also is your deficit too large? Are you being too restrictive, causing you to binge at your parents?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    When you're tired it is so hard to be hungry and without food to eat.. and it is almost impossible to have the energy to work out.

Maybe you could clear your schedule on the weekends to allow time just for you; to first rest..then maybe meal prep for the week. That way at work, in the car, and when you get home.. you have healthy tasty dinners and snacks you can eat real quick. That will keep you from fast food and fattening frozen dinners.

..and when you are exhausted..do the best you can and don't beat yourself up.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Don't get off the struggle bus, better to struggle on the bus than get ran over it!
  • Banoo2020
    Banoo2020 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.
    @JenniferK I hear you. I been having the same problem and even though I’m on vacation from work now so I have the Time but not the motivation. I get all hyped and start exercising doing the 30 day challenges 100 squats a a day and after the first week I get bored and demotivated and then back to square one. I cannot quite figure out why I get depressed and demotivated all of a sudden; start binge eating. I decided I am going to set a one simple goal 8000 steps a day and stick with it. Just one thing.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I think many, if not all, of us have had similar thoughts at some point. What you have to decide is if you want this, if you do you will log your food and eat within your calories to lose, on average, 1lb per week. Many of us here work 40+ hours, have a commute, have children and family to care after. I hope you can find the balance in your life to put your health, and weight loss, in those priorities. For me, I find working out for 30 minutes gives me more energy to care after my 3 young kids. People here are a great support if you need it. Good luck!
  • HannahSharpePT
    HannahSharpePT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ❤️❤️❤️ keep going girl!! It’s hard to know what to do when you lose but not sure how to keep it off. Most people struggle with this. But there is a way than doesn’t need to be stressful at all!!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I’m hearing a lot of excuses in there. I like the suggestion of keeping lower-cal, healthy items on hand to just throw in the oven or microwave when you need quick and easy. This can include stuff you cook once a week and freeze, or ready-made frozen meals. Why are you so exhausted after work? Are you eating enough during the day? Are you getting enough sleep? Do you have a strenuous job, or do you need to set some limits on how many hours a day you work? As someone else said, plenty of MFPers work full-time, have commutes, look after kids and have super-busy lives, yet they manage to balance that with eating properly and squeezing in a bit of exercise. If you could provide more specifics on what your barriers are, we can provide better suggestions. But the bottom line is that you have to want to lose weight enough that you figure out how to make the changes in your life necessary to make it happen.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I used to feel this way, but honestly, once I started working out, I started sleeping better. Once I slept better, I had energy leftover to work out. You might need to break out of your current state and just push through a couple of weeks. Planning for evening meals that you know will be challenging might help mitigate going over calories too. I meal plan on Saturdays and I always look at my work calendar to see if there are nights when I might need something super easy (can I prep it for the crock pot the night before?), or nights when I have more time to cook. I hope you figure something out. It's a viscous cycle and it doesn't usually get the desired results.