Restless Leg Syndrome.

Options
Anyone else get this? I've had it since I was a teen and it is now getting into my arms as well. What do you do when you get it? What helps you?
Didn't know where to put this post so hope it is ok here. :)

Replies

• starwhisperer
    Options
    I don't get it nearly as often now, but i got it so horribly a few years back that i would lose whole nights of sleep. My doc actually gave me a narcotic to take right before bed (cause it makes you a little sleepy) and it knocked them out. People who have never had this simply can't understand how frustrating that feeling is!! I hope you find something that works for you.
  • anna0773
    Options
    I only get it when I take the sleeping tablet Nytol. I know how horrid it is but as I know the cause I don't have any advice to give you. Sorry.
  • ask your doctor about a drug called gabapentin
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have it but just a tiny bit, I always get moaned at about moving my legs constantly and I'm like I CANNY HELP IT! I'm doind it right now actually. I say just speak to your doctor about it, he/she can recommend treatment
  • MurphyUK
    Options
    I get this now and then. Comes in bouts, but I can feel it always just bubbling away under the surface.

It's awful.

I have to sleep in the spare bed when I get attacks, as I end up waking up my wife.

My doctor said it's not treatable. >:-(

I find exercise helps as I'm tired at nights. That's about the best advice I can give. Also a nice cold room.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I get it sometimes too. It's so frustrating. There are several medications out there now that treat RLS. Definitely talk with your doctor about trying one of them.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I think I will have to go to my Doc. It's getting so that I can hardly sleep now. :(
  • Dietkitty26
    Dietkitty26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Susie and I think Bren have posted about this in the other place. I think they said potassium was good for it but can't quite remember. Ask them then let me know as I also suffer occassionally :)
  • LaTishaJones
    Options
    My doctor told me that hormones released during on orgasm can help relieve your condition. I suffered with RLS for about one year after I came out of a relationship and was not sexually active. Once I started to have sex again, I no longer had any problems. That was about 3 1/2 years ago. Hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • BlessedMoon
    BlessedMoon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have it, but my mom has it worse. If it gets real bad she takes a muscle relaxer and it tends to help.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    Susie and I think Bren have posted about this in the other place. I think they said potassium was good for it but can't quite remember. Ask them then let me know as I also suffer occassionally :)

I tried potassium to no avail. :(
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    My doctor told me that hormones released during on orgasm can help relieve your condition. I suffered with RLS for about one year after I came out of a relationship and was not sexually active. Once I started to have sex again, I no longer had any problems. That was about 3 1/2 years ago. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Blimey, I'd better start having sex then! Lol.
  • Dietkitty26
    Dietkitty26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Not sure if I'll be passing this info on to 'him' lol
  • kpd270
    Options
    I had it for several years, very bad! Almost every night. I happened to be slightly depressed at the time and also not physically active.

Since then, I began working out about 5 or more days a week and became a personal trainer. Slowly but surely it went away! I thought it could never be helped. I had been to doctors, given prescriptions, etc. Only to be taking pills all the time. It wasn't worth it at al! I

In addition, raw spinach, or any dark veggies added to your diet, help. (Plus, it assists in your weight loss) the reease of chemicals from working out, change your body's chemical make up. Drink lots of water and reduce caffeine. You will slowly see a change. Think about it.....mostly it occurs when you are tired and your body is at rest. If your brain is happy, your body will be happy.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Not a lot can be done about it in the long run. Things I have noticed that make it worse... caffeine late in the day, any antihistamines (OTC sleeping pills are antihistamines as well as all allergy pills), wellbutrin anti depressant, and being overly warm in bed. I took wellbutrin for about 6 months after I lost my father, the RLS was HORRIBLE! Even during the day I couldn't sit still. I was mentally and physically exhausted and couldn't sleep, the doc gave me that...and made it all worse! He changed the meds to something else, then I got super bad night sweats. I gave up on medications.

Things that seem to help... melatonin at night, stretching before bed, peppermint lotion on my feet and calves (love love love this stuff), cool feet at night (I kick the covers off my feet), and when I do get the RLS I get up and do some jogging in place without taking my feet off the floor. Instead of taking my allergy pill I have been diluting an OTC nasal spray for use at night and using a neti pot during the day. I only wake my guy up occasionally now instead of every hour or so.

Good Luck!
  • ahunkofmexican
    Options
    Anyone else get this? I've had it since I was a teen and it is now getting into my arms as well. What do you do when you get it? What helps you?
    Didn't know where to put this post so hope it is ok here. :)

Yes , had it for over 6 years with it getting worse and worse till i started to lose weight and doing stretching. After some real long interval stretching i finally got relief. And yes SEX will help alot. For a man doing most of the work it is a great way to limber up your body and give relief to the nerve endings that give off the RLS signals to your brain. If your arm is getting affected as well as your leg, it is time to go to physical therapy and start learning how to stretch and how long as well. That is a big part of stretching. Yoga, as wimpy as it sounds is Great ! Now i have a new appreciation for it, and will after i lose the rest of my weight try and do it . Going to physical therapy is a must, they show you the proper way to stretch for what ales you. More importantly how long and how much. If it was not for my therapist i would not be sitting here reading so much not noticing my leg. I went to countless doctors who told me basically nothing until i found a physical therapist who understood his job. Today i hardly notice my leg at all and sleep very well.
  • ahunkofmexican
    Options

Blimey, I'd better start having sex then! Lol.

Ooo Ooo pick me !
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My doc told me to get up when I start feeling it, and stretch my legs out really good. I had it really bad during my pregnancies. Also, a friend of mine took Lorazapam (the generic for Ativan). About .5mg a night for a bit. It really helped her. But it is a drug, so you can't take it forever.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    And yes SEX will help alot. For a man doing most of the work it is a great way to limber up your body and give relief to the nerve endings that give off the RLS signals to your brain. quote.

Who said men do most of the work? Lol. :wink:
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I am loath to use drugs if I can help it but I am getting to my wits end with this. I dread going to bed now.
    Thanks for your input folks. :)