My heart goes out to Australia right now.

rahimlj
rahimlj Posts: 239 Member
I have an old friend who made a post about Australia, posted a meme and clearly she thinks to seem it's funny but really it's really f*****g insensitive. I just hope people out there don't think it's okay to make fun of people in Australia. There's been so many victims.

Stay safe✌️

Replies

• AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    It is real sad. I hope they get relief soon
  • jacktherower
    jacktherower Posts: 292 Member
    rahimlj wrote: »
    I have an old friend who made a post about Australia, posted a meme and clearly she thinks to seem it's funny but really it's really f*****g insensitive. I just hope people out there don't think it's okay to make fun of people in Australia. There's been so many victims.

Stay safe✌️
    Tell her directly. Don’t virtue signal
  • rahimlj

Stay safe✌️

So many people have been commenting on her Facebook post but with her it almost seems useless. She thinks it's funny and it's terrible.
  • rahimlj
    AriesFL wrote: »
    It is real sad. I hope they get relief soon

Yeah for sure. So many animals and people affected by it. It's crazy.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member

Stay safe✌️

This^^^^^

Some people don’t know they’re being a dick unless it’s spelled out for them.

• rahimlj
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Stay safe✌️

This^^^^^

Some people don’t know they’re being a dick unless it’s spelled out for them.

Yeah. I just thought by at least expressing how I felt towards it if there are people who are being insensitive they wouldn't do it. You know what. I'm going to msg her. Do you think it's better I comment on her post? She doesn't use Facebook Messenger much. I'm thinking if it's more appropriate to send a private msg or just post like other people are on her comments.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    If you know her IRL, I’d have the conversation privately. Don’t call her out in her thread.
  • AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    edited January 2020
    Steve Irwin’s family saves a lot of animals. It’s shocking how many animals lost. Has there been any human lives lost as well?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    At least 8 people now reported dead from the fires, as well as all the animals. Serious stuff.

My daughter asked last night if I'd like to adopt a Koala or something else to help. Maybe I'll offer to match her 2 to 1 just to see how deep she will dig herself.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Steve Irwin’s family saves a lot of animals. It’s shocking how many animals lost. Has there been any human lives lost as well?

Last I heard it was 19 people dead including firefighters and an estimated 500 million animals have died. More than 5 million hectares (or 12.35 million acres) of land lost. Around 1500 homes destroyed. The navy started rescuing around a thousand people at a time off the coast. It's catastrophic :(
  • rahimlj
    1sphere wrote: »
    I'm distraught about the amount of animals killed ....480 million killed that way...absolutely horrible

Same. It's insane. At least some survived.
  • rahimlj

Yes. Human lives as well. It's crazy what's happening. Especially the amount of smoke there is.
  • rahimlj
    robertw486 wrote: »
    At least 8 people now reported dead from the fires, as well as all the animals. Serious stuff.

My daughter asked last night if I'd like to adopt a Koala or something else to help. Maybe I'll offer to match her 2 to 1 just to see how deep she will dig herself.

That's nice.
  • monaraehill2
    monaraehill2 Posts: 61 Member
    Me and some crafting buddies on FB are sewing Joey bags for charity.....
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    It’s so sad. Those poor people and animals. 😢
  • 100gramsaday
    100gramsaday Posts: 49 Member
    I agree, it's a terrible shame. :disappointed:
  • rahimlj
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    It’s so sad. Those poor people and animals. 😢

I know. Hopefully it ends soon. It's nuts. Also their gov seems to be denying that it's related to climate change. I'm glad some animals got saved though.
  • rahimlj
    It is an epic tragedy. They say some animals now face extinction. The cooler weather has helped a bit but the heat is expected to return next week. Stay safe my fellow Aussies :)

Yeah for sure! I heard that as well. I heard the koalas could go extinct. Hopefully they don't through. Glad to hear the weather has been getting cooler! Hopefully it continues.