Couch potato to 5K

Options
terrialbrecht5034
terrialbrecht5034 Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
What apps has anyone used for training for a 5K for someone that has not been active at all

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Start by walking. Build up to 30 minute walks 4-5 times per week for several weeks. Then pick whichever c25k program you like. I personally used the NHS podcasts instead of an app and found it very easy to follow along.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I agree with @emmamcgarity. Before you can start C25K, you must be able to walk a 5k rather briskly. Once you can do that a few days a week, you can get the app (zenlabs) and see if you can work up to jogging it. If you are very out of shape, this could take a year in total with consistent workouts.

But, you gotta start somewhere someday!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was a potato. still a potato at heart,
    i used the zenlabs version of the c25k
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k
    i am currently working on it.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used some podcasts the first time I did it. The last time I did it, I used an app called Interval Runner because it let me create my own training plans as well as having the basic C25K. Now that I'm up to 4.75 MPH walking, I will start a plan next week that's a 20 minute walk, the first week of C25K, and then another 20 minute (or so) walk.
  • ianwhite5555
    ianwhite5555 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    After an Army career and hitting 40 my body told me that was it for running. After getting a working breed dog (siberian husky) walking briskly for 6-10 miles a day became a breeze so, slowly I begun working up to running a mile and a half. Run /walking 50:50 gradually increasing the running till I could run the whole way. Then the same again for 3 miles, 50:50 till 100:0 The first 3 mile run took 35 mins. I then used the Map My Run app and signed up to their building up to 5k 'plan'. It really helped to stay focused. You can tailor it to current fitness levels and how many times you want to run a week. I'm now running 5k twice a day each under 25 mins and dropped from 14 and a bit stone down to just over 10.
    The app was a great help in motivating me and mixes up your runs for you, tempo runs, interval runs, gentle and distance runs. I still don't really enjoy running but with determination plus Map My Run, from not running at all till now has taken about 6 months.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,996 Member
    Options
    Start by walking. Build up to 30 minute walks 4-5 times per week for several weeks. Then pick whichever c25k program you like. I personally used the NHS podcasts instead of an app and found it very easy to follow along.

I agree with this. First build up a base of walking. Then use a C25K app. I used the Zen labs C25K app and really liked it.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    What apps has anyone used for training for a 5K for someone that has not been active at all

Slow and steady is the way to go.

About 6 years ago I was a couch potato and wanted to be able to run a 5K. I downloaded the Zenlabs C25k app and immediately started running and injured myself pretty quickly. Once I healed, I started using the app again, but this time I did it on an elliptical machine, while also working with a personal trainer to strengthen my legs and back. Once I completed the C25K on the elliptical (helped get my cardio up to par), I started the app again, but this time running. I actually spent 2 weeks on each phase to ensure I didn't get hurt again. I started running in April and completed my first 5K (running and walking) in May, then ran my first 5K in August.
  • stoked2b
    stoked2b Posts: 136 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I recently restarted C25K for the third time. I decided to walk 30 minutes 3 times per week for 2 weeks (similar to the great suggestions above). Then on my 3rd week I started on C25K Week 2, using the Zenlabs app.

My best tip that has not been mentioned is to pace yourself once you reach the long runs of 20 minutes or more. Go as slow as your body needs to in order to complete them. I found using a heart rate monitor (like a Fitbit) that if I target 70-80% of my Max Heart Rate I could finish the runs. If I ran too fast my heart rate might be 90% of MHR and that's when I typically fatigue or have a side stitch. Once completing C25K, keep going with the program to get the full 5k distance (no matter how long that takes) and then afterwards work on improving times.