Sugar.....

Options
Hi all!! I have been noticing that most days I am over my suggested sugars. I am not typically eating things that have additional sugars added, I do have my moments. I am a LOT better than I used to be. I was....and I guess still am hooked on sugar. My question is ~ since most of my sugars come from fruits and the like, do I need to be completely freaked by that and start monitoring my sugars and not eat something bc it might bump me over? I am still losing weight, but I wonder if my weight loss might be slowed due to the sugar thing....

Thoughts??

Replies

• daram05
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. I stay within range of all other areas, but SUGAR! And, I'm not even a real sugar lover. Any suggestions from the world of MFP would help me as well.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I dont have any suggestions because I'm having the same problem. And I am not a sweet lover. I have noticed though that the nonfat greek yogurt I'm eating has a lot of sugar as well as V8 juice which I am drinking in place of orange juice in the morning because i am hypoglocemic. I've vowed to not eat the sugar containing greek yogurt anymore but dont know what to do about the rest since it is in regular foods.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    That and sodium was my problem. I started back on the Belly fat cure this past Monday and am already seeing amazing results.I did this with my husband last fall and lost over 30 pounds from July- Nov. I never gained it back after cheating for the past year, except for 5-6 pounds. We are doing it again just to get that last little bit off for good and to feel better. I will be glad to help if you want to send a request.
  • digihed1
    digihed1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I say ignore the sugar column if you avoid most added sugar. If most of your sugar comes from fruit then I think you are fine. I always went way over on sugar and still do but I eat a lot of fruit and I don't let the sugar numbers from fruit bother me. It has worked great for me.
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Sugar can definitely inhibit weight loss if it is consumed in excess because sugar alcohols add a significant amount of calories to your diet. However, it is important that you know you are not consuming added sugars but are consuming natural sugars (those that naturally occur in foods like fruit). MyPlate recommends that you do not consume more than 265 kcal of ADDED sugar. MFP does not separate naturally occuring from added sugars, so you will have to monitor that on your own.
    In general, check your labels and make sure there are no added sugars. Processed foods and "fruit" juices often have hidden sugars. Hope that helps!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    This seems to be another one where there's opinions on each side of the spectrum. I'm almost always over on my sugar as well. Sometimes it's because of fruit or sometimes because I just crave some ice cream.

I was told that while fruit has lots of sugar it's natural sugar and to just not count those numbers in my head.
    How true this was I have no idea. I would love to find a way to stay under though.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Sugar can definitely inhibit weight loss if it is consumed in excess because sugar alcohols add a significant amount of calories to your diet. However, it is important that you know you are not consuming added sugars but are consuming natural sugars (those that naturally occur in foods like fruit). MyPlate recommends that you do not consume more than 265 kcal of ADDED sugar. MFP does not separate naturally occuring from added sugars, so you will have to monitor that on your own.
    In general, check your labels and make sure there are no added sugars. Processed foods and "fruit" juices often have hidden sugars. Hope that helps!

Sarah - by added sugars I assume you mean HFCS. Are there other key words to look for on labels?
  • southwestern25
    Options
    wuts the belly fat cure?
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of other words!!

Sugar
    dextrose
    fructose

big ones (above), but here's one list of tons more!

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/sugars.htm

I just count any "processed food" sugars as bad and any natural (ie, the 17 g sugar from my raw apple) as ok...