Muscle growth vs calories

Options
Currently I'm eating around 900-1000 calories a day and roughly 100 grams of protein. My goal is to lose weight and gain muscle, is this possible doing what I'm doing? I also make sure to get a good amount of protein in directly after working out.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm eating around 900-1000 calories a day and roughly 100 grams of protein. My goal is to lose weight and gain muscle, is this possible doing what I'm doing? I also make sure to get a good amount of protein in directly after working out.

Not enough data to make an assessment.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    What are your current stats? Are you under medical supervision?

Generally speaking, if you’re eating 1000 calories or less a day, especially as a male, you’re basically only eating enough to keep your heart beating and lungs inflating. You’re almost certainly burning muscle faster than you could hope to replace it, regardless of how much protein you eat or when you eat it.
  • Darkpheonix30
    Darkpheonix30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight, but gain muscle mass it’s going to be a steady and gradual process. You have to have at least 1300-1500 calories on a non exercise day. The days you’re strength training/exercising it would be recommended to add another 300 calories AFTER you workout.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Eating that few calories you are almost certain to lose more muscle, because your body is going to turn to it for fuel.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight, but gain muscle mass it’s going to be a steady and gradual process. You have to have at least 1300-1500 calories on a non exercise day. The days you’re strength training/exercising it would be recommended to add another 300 calories AFTER you workout.

OP is male. 1500 is the minimum for (a shorter, less active, perhaps elderly) male. Not 1300.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Nope.