Guidance Regarding WW

I am in need in some sage advice regarding WW membership. I am doing my own thing nutritionally. I keep my WW membership to keep myself accountable to meetings and weigh ins. I hesitate to keep the membership due to price but I am scared to do it in my own. I need for someone to tell me it is ok to give up the membership and I can still be successful, I really like the connect feature.

Replies

• Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    I think you should make that decision for yourself; based on what you enjoy during this journey. I’ve used Fitnesspal; love it but I’m now back on WW; also love it, using Connect and attending meetings and they are not the same; the support and the “Connection” is different; choose what works for you✨
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I think the WW meetings and weigh ins are invaluable for keeping one accountable. I'm sure that many people can do it on their own, but I think the biggest contributor to the success of the WW program is the in-person aspect.

I am a WW Lifetime member who has returned many times over the past 30+ years. I loathe the current WW program since the changes they made several years ago and don't think I'll ever return to WW. And I can't stand all that touchy feely emotional stuff they do in their meetings now, but I still see the value in knowing you have to show up once a week and get on a scale and have your weight recorded. It really makes a difference in the eating and exercise choices you make throughout the week. And it gives you strength to make good choices when you're having a particularly bad week.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I don't know if it's changed in the last couple years but I found Connect to be really toxic. I moved over here and let my membership go in 2016. In the last year or so I've found a lot of value in WOE specific Facebook groups and Instagram.
  • ksupan98
    ksupan98 Posts: 4 Member
    I just ditched my WW membership to do MFP. I was tired of the meetings, and tired of the points system, but kept hanging on for the accountability. I’ll friend you and we can try to help each other on here if you want. I have a group of friends from a long time moms group I’m in that I’m doing a weight loss challenge with and we weigh in on fridays and report in. If you want accountability, we don’t have to tell each other our weights but you could tell me you weighed in and how much you lost/gained? I lost the last of my baby weight 6 years ago using MFP, then moved overseas and gained a bunch. Came back to the states and joined WW and lost some but just haven’t been super successful. If you track and stick with MFP, I think you can do it. Also if you go premium, the whole year is basically the cost of one WW month!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Is it WW meetings specifically that help keep you accountable? Or is it having a scheduled date/time/place to weigh in?

TOPS meetings might help as a more affordable meeting option if there is a chapter in your area.

I suppose you could also have a friend keep you accountable if it’s just the weigh in. You could send a picture of your scale weigh in once a week by text to one of your friends. Just be sure to pick the friend who will ask for your weigh in when you are tempted to skip.

I personally like WW but opted for MFP for financial reasons
  • Jes2kids
    Jes2kids Posts: 16 Member
    That sounds amazing! Thank you, I need some support in this and would really appreciate it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,589 Member
    Hmmm, I weigh every day and keep track in a trending weight app.

What keeps me accountable at maintenance is not wanting that trend to escape the upper bound of the maintenance window.

What kept me accountable during weight loss was trying to hit my caloric targets on a net calories per week basis.

:wink:
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I left WW in 2015. I had been a member for about 15 years online only but my weight had changed little. I did meetings in the 1980's and lost some weight but the program had changed drastically by the time I left. I went to Calorie Count (now gone) and started losing then transferred to MFP and continued on to lose over 100 lbs. I have managed to maintain the majority of that loss (I'm up about 15 pounds right now) for 3 years. I don't miss WW and I prefer that I have complete control over choosing my diet lifestyle. I struggled with my weight my entire life and was 59 when I finally got a handle on it. I'm 63 now and so much happier. For me personally in the end it was about finding what I could live with permanently. WW is ever changing which made it hard to ever feel like I was on solid ground and I also found the constant vilification of carbs and sugar made it unreasonable for the life I wanted to live. Do what works for you and if it's WW then it's worth the money but you can always leave and give it a try and if you miss it they would be happy to welcome you back. Good luck.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    My sister in law lost weight on her own, then joined Weight Watchers. She ate a lot of food with 0 points, but of course these foods had calories. She gained weight, so decided to drop it and was happy with her progress without it.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    I could have written this post myself. I also have a WW membership, I attend the meetings and weigh-ins for the accountability aspect but haven’t really followed the program. At the beginning I was tracking both in the WW app and in MFP to see how it compared and to make sure I wasn’t going overboard in calories. Now I just count calories and track in MFP. I feel a bit hypocritical sometimes when I’m there and they’re celebrating one of my milestones (100 lbs so far). I’ve been wanting to stop going but I have the same fear that if I do I’ll start slacking off and slowly gain it all back. I keep telling myself I’m being irrational but for now I’m still going.