Sweets and deserts

Options
Ok so I’m a sweets lover, I’m trying to be careful with what I eat but I always have a sweet tooth, I do eat fruit but after a while I need a change, what are some options I could try(I am a chocolate lover), thanks

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You do not need to give up chocolate, or any other food, as long as you can eat just the amount you intend to eat. If you're able to stop with one piece (or whatever fits your calories), then budget calories for a piece of chocolate.

"Budget" is the operative word here. Just like a financial budget, if you don't allow any treats there is a good chance you will say "screw it" and potentially overindulge. Plan for the fun stuff even if the bulk of your budget is the "good" stuff.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    A nice sweet treat that I enjoy is a great way to finish off my day. I just prelog at the beginning of the day to make sure I have the spare calories to allow it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have gone through phases over the past several years when I am satisfied by little things like a square of good chocolate, a mug of cocoa, or a few mini marshmallows & semisweet chocolate chips. I usually keep "not my favorite" cookies in the house that will do with a cup of tea for sweets cravings...but aren't so good I want to eat the whole package.

Now and then, though, I have other phases in which I really crave specific sweets. The past month or two it's been Krispy Kreme filled donuts. Fortunately (!) I live 45-60 minutes from the two nearest Krispy Kreme stores, so I only go every month or so and get one donut and a cup of coffee. Getting the exact thing I've craved satisfies me very well. Same in the summer with ice cream. Having it in the back of my mind for a week and then having a single scoop sundae...perfection.

I am sure my maintenance range could probably be a little lower if I didn't indulge in these things, but to me it's part of my enjoyment of life. I am still in a range I am happy with after losing a lot (over 100 lb).
  • yuske05
    yuske05 Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Getting the exact thing I've craved satisfies me very well. Same in the summer with ice cream. Having it in the back of my mind for a week and then having a single scoop sundae...perfection.

That quote is perfection. I'll try to apply it more. I just made a parfait that saved my day at work.

Question for everybody: is there anyone here with a raging sweet tooth who is overweight or near it? I read somewhere some time ago that people who naturally don't have issues losing weight are typically sugar addicts.
  • RunFastLiveLong
    RunFastLiveLong Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love my sugar and sweets. I found that protein shakes have been super helpful in avoiding them - especially if I act well in advance by having a protein shake early morning or mid afternoon.
  • boymom121
    boymom121 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth also. I’ll budget cookies into my calories. I found some Chips Ahoy thins that have filled my sweet tooth, even having just a half serving. And another item I like is sugar free Popsicle brand Fudge pops. For 2 pops it’s 80 calories and actually one pop does the job, so that’s only 40 cals. And even tho they are sugar free they still have that fudge taste to them. I think they’re great. Big lifesaver and cheap on the calorie budget!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I buy individually wrapped chocolates like Andes mints and Ghiradelli (sp?) squares... or a small scoop of ice cream... currently I have GF “Tollhouse cookie” dough balls that hubby and I have been enjoying in the evenings YUM. Being able to budget my calories for those types of treats has made this a sustainable venture for me compared to an all or nothing food plan.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I spent 280 calories tonight on chocolate ice cream I know if I cut sweets out completely I will binge. So I fit it in a few nights a week.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    yuske05 wrote: »
    Getting the exact thing I've craved satisfies me very well. Same in the summer with ice cream. Having it in the back of my mind for a week and then having a single scoop sundae...perfection.

That quote is perfection. I'll try to apply it more. I just made a parfait that saved my day at work.

Question for everybody: is there anyone here with a raging sweet tooth who is overweight or near it? I read somewhere some time ago that people who naturally don't have issues losing weight are typically sugar addicts.

That would be me, I have always had a huge sweet tooth especially for baked goods, so sugar fat and carbs together is heaven for me!! I have lost almost 50 lbs but was obese when I started, I am still overweight and continuing to work on it. Like others though I have learned to moderate my intake. It would be so easy to overindulge regularly though.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I have a different approach to others who've posted. I use abstinence - I don't eat chocolates or sweets. I do eat a lot of fruit, though.

My issue is that I have massively sweet tooth. I can't trust myself with a moderation approach - I'll cave in at some point and binge. Hence my abstinence. It's definitely not the right approach for everyone, but it currently works for me - I'm now at 11 months of this approach).
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I do fine with snack size and miniature candy bars in the house. We still have ones bought on sale at Halloween. I try to eat 100 calories or less of them after dinner.

I have also taken brownies (my favorite) and cut them into bite size pieces (about 125 calories each). Wrapped each piece in foil and put them in the freezer in a bag. Then I take out one to eat occasionally.

About once a month we get a " big" dessert of ice cream, cake, large cookie, etc. Usually out, but sometimes a single serving bought at the grocery store.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    A nice sweet treat that I enjoy is a great way to finish off my day. I just prelog at the beginning of the day to make sure I have the spare calories to allow it.

This is what I do. I also recently realized that on work days, I generally do better if I allow myself that treat as an afternoon snack rather than waiting until the end of the day. I apparently just really crave sweets in the afternoon at work, and treating myself during that time helps prevent from going hunting for sweets and still eating dessert at home, putting my calories for the day higher than I had allowed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but I usually like something for desert most nights. My wife just made homemade cookies, so I had one last night. Sometimes just a couple pieces of dark chocolate. Usually ice cream if were out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I've been finding a 30 calorie tangerine after dinner helpful. I budget for a cookie later on, but this isn't working with Dried Cherry–Chocolate Chunk Cookies https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/dried-cherry-chocolate-chunk-cookies - I had 3 cookies the first day I made them and 4 yesterday, so am going to retire that recipe for the baking season. :lol:

I gave 3 to my neighbor to share among the three of them and she said she could have eaten 20 herself :lol:
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also have a mean sweet tooth. I regularly work certain sweets into my calorie limit during the day and do pretty good most of the time. However there are specific deal breakers i like just too much and I won’t keep in my house or make because moderation is impossible. Thats about the best I can do short of caving.