The climb

I don’t know how you all do it... since i was 17 it’s been up and down, success and failure.... it’s so hard to keep it off and not be back here, starting all over again at square one. Feeling frustrated

Replies

• tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    Same here, all my life weight up and down but since starting mfp I find the fluctuations are more minor. I catch myself gaining and generally correct it better. Still far from goal! I feel your frustration but don’t give up! Your health is worth working for. You can do it!
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Something like this is the subject of an ongoing topic in one of the other boards: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10762986/why-is-so-little-attention-given-to-maintenance/p1

While there are a lot of maintainers here, there are also a lot of others (myself included) who have had success then left then had to 'come back'. For me (~ 3 kg from top of goal range, so very nearly maintaining) my long-term plan is to not leave. I mean, I may not always be so very active in the forums, but I've got my 'maintaining plan' just as I'm now on my 'deficit plan'. So I will still be proactive in my health and all the elements that go into it, no matter what the number on the scale/measuring tape/dress label is.

Why did I 'come back' when I'd had a regain? Because my long-term goal, my reason for being here is my overall, lifelong health. While it's nice to fit in my smaller clothes, it'll be nicer to not have the T2 diabetes that runs in my family, and nicer still to be able to care for my child with complex needs for as long as he needs caring for. Which is what a lot of those who succeed recommend: remind yourself why you're doing this. And don't give up on yourself.

For me, success isn't the absence of failure in this case; success is the absence of giving up.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    3o20m6jjw72k.jpg
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I just don't leave :)