When did you notice a difference?

Options
I’m 5”3 sw of 290.... anyone else that started off short and dumpy, how much weight did you lose before you went down in sizes??? And what weight did you get down to before others noticed a difference?

Replies

• oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started off at 217. It took 30-35 lbs for others mentioned it. They may have wondered for a bit before that though.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss at 200 lbs and did not go down a size until 30-35 ish lbs down (going from a size 12 to a size 10). People outside of my family did not comment until I was around 35-40 lbs down. My family noticed around 20-25 lbs.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The higher BF% typically the longer it takes to notice a difference.

When I started I was 5'6 , 244 lbs but I had a lot of muscle mass before I started to lose weight. I lost 10lbs people notice my face was thinner and at 20lbs people started mentioning my "guns".

After 10lbs or so though, I could notice that my clothes were loser than they were.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I’m 5”3 sw of 290.... anyone else that started off short and dumpy, how much weight did you lose before you went down in sizes??? And what weight did you get down to before others noticed a difference?

This is going to be highly variable. Generally, the more weight you have to lose, the longer it will take to be physically noticeable. Also, other people may notice and never say anything...talking about someone's weight, even to compliment weight loss is kind of a touchy thing. There are a lot of people who will interpret, "Hey...you lost some weight...you look great" to be "Hey...you used to look like a big fat cow." So yeah...a lot of people will never say anything. I can count on one hand the number of people who ever mentioned anything about me losing weight and I look night and day different than when I started. If you're looking for accolades from others, you most likely will be disappointed.

It can also be difficult to physically notice a difference because for one, weight loss is slow and the changes are very gradual...you look in the mirror everyday and people who are around you daily might be hard pressed to notice anything because the process is slow. The majority of people who ever said anything to me were people I only saw every once in awhile. Also, weight doesn't tend to come off where we want it to...much of my initial weight loss was from my extremities and limbs, so the first things I noticed were my wedding ring getting loser, shoes feeling loser, neck on my button ups being loser, etc...all things that the average person isn't going to really register when looking at you. I lost a total of 40 Lbs and it was probably 20 Lbs down or so before my face really started slimming which was the first really noticeable physical appearance change when I lost weight.