Insertional achilles tendonitis

Options
I noticed a tender spot on the back of my heel a few weeks ago and a few days later also a nagging little ache at the end of my treadmill jog sessions.
Most likely insertional achilles tendonitis apparently, and probably triggered by increasing my jogging distances too quickly.

Any tips on how to heal as fast as possible?

I had a severe bout of plantar fasciitis a few years ago (not related to running), which took more than a year to clear up, so I really don't want a repeat of that kind of situation now.
So, against every bone in my body :tongue: , I've stopped using the treadmill alltogether, for now.
I've also bought a foam roller to use on my calves, since tight calves seemingly could have contributed to the issue?
Would it also be helpful to take ibuprofen?

I'm going a bit stir crazy at the moment, not being able to do cardio, I'd love to get back to jogging as soon as possible but without injury.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Tendoinitis is caused by repetitive movements that strain the tendon causing the inflammation. It NEVER goes completely away, however you can definitely lessen the discomfort. Foam rollers massage the calves and aren't directly working the actual achilles tendon. You need to do exercises that dorsiflex, bring the top of your foot towards your ankle, to help stretch and activate that tendon better. Youtube has a lot of exercise you can try. Try them with shoes and without shoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I noticed a tender spot on the back of my heel a few weeks ago and a few days later also a nagging little ache at the end of my treadmill jog sessions.

That could also be heel bursitis. Assuming it's tendonitis, which is more common.. tendons heal best with frequent movement, since they lack blood vessels like muscles do, so they require movement to have nutrients pumped to them. Walking automatically does this, but while you sit, dorsiflex your foot constantly, like several times a minute. It becomes a habit after a while.
    By the way, most shoes have a raised heel, which reduces movement of the tendon while walking (and tightens the calves). So walk around in "zero heel" shoes like Vans, Keds, etc. A heel is fine for running though. When you restart running, keep the treadmill level, since uphill puts more strain on the achilles.
  • notmyachillesheel8
    notmyachillesheel8 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the Achilles, it’s the worst. I ruptured mine and had full reconstructive surgery done. Most important Is rest on the injured tendon. Rest mean the least amount of impact for as long as possible. Once you’re feeling better make sure to grow your strength in the tendon and stretch as much as possible for both. If you injure one, the other tends to get injured quicker as well so be careful, you don’t want a rupture like I had!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Try resting, ice, stretching, and less impact. Stretching before activities and icing afterwards really helped mine.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,326 Member
    Options
    One of my rehab exercises was to draw the alphabet with my big toe every hour. Like they said motion is key, without weight is more pleasant.

Another good practice is yoga or stretching to make you calves and hamstrings more pliable. When your legs aren't as tight they won't pull on the tendon as much.

Best of luck. Achilles injuries suck.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I get pain in the same part of my heel. Regular, gentle practice of Downward Dog clears it up for me in about 2 weeks.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    sounds similar to what I have and I have stopped jogging for 3 months now, starting to get a little better finally. I do play sports on Monday and wear a compression sleeve.
    My friend had something similar and didn't rest, ended up rupturing his and took a year to get fully healed. 6 weeks in a walking boot.

In the interim, I do elliptical, rower, and bike for cardio. Hoping by the spring, I can start running again.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Stretching exercises as per @ninerbuff 's advice, plus rest from exercise. Some KT tape can be helpful too.

You never fully recover from Achilles tendinosis, because it's interstitial damage not a "wound" to heal -- like a thick rope that's started to fray; it won't just unfray. I got mine 4 years ago, overdoing it on a treadmill set at a 6 degree incline. There was a loud pop and immense pain and, voila, I was at the surgery place. They took some MRIs and said I hadn't snapped my Achilles and didn't need surgery, but had tendinosis and needed to:
    • Rest my ankle
    • Do good stretching (as @ninerbuff described)
    • Try not to walk uphill any more LOL And definitely never to use incline on the treadmill again.
    • Be very gentle and careful with exercise going forward
    • Accept that I will *always* need to be cognizant of having a frayed tendon and to take good care of it lest it turn into a snapped tendon.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it. I hope yours is not like mine. Mine still hurts badly if I overdo it, even 6 years later, but yes, it does hurt less and I have little to no pain with shorter walks and runs.

While it didn't go away entirely, I got much better at knowing my limits and slowing down whenever I felt a flair up coming. I noticed I started walking a bit differently to allow me to go longer. It's hard to explain exactly, but the bulk of my movement comes from the butt and thighs, much less quads than before I was injured.