MFP Macro Confusion

Hi all! Can you please help me read these 2 totals? On my app, my Macros break-down like this:
j5ktt1y0ziav.png

When logged into the website, this is what I see:
vumsxir17w4m.png

I am banging my head at my online totals, C: 258, F: 67, P: 258
These calculate to be 44%, 10.5%, 44%
Can someone please help point out what I'm missing?
Thanks so much!!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, but fat has 9 calories per gram. So...

Carbs - 1032 cals
    Fat - 594 calories
    Protein - 1032 calories
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2020
    Yes what @kimny72 said. Fat has more calories per gram that protein. The app is correct in its breakdown.

Sidenote, why so high a percentage of protein? That's A LOT of protein. I have about the same calorie goal as you, but I target around 150 grand (25%). Is there a reason you feel the need to go so high?
  • dallsop417
    dallsop417 Posts: 1,031 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Yes what @kimny72 said. Fat has more calories per gram that protein. The app is correct in its breakdown.

Sidenote, why so high a percentage of protein? That's A LOT of protein. I have about the same calorie goal as you, but I target around 150 grand (25%). Is there a reason you feel the need to go so high?

Only guessing but, OP might be a bigger guy wanting to lose weight and works out a lot so protein is based on his weight but needs to fit in with his daily calorie target.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    Yep. High protein, low fat. I would like to limit my fat to 50 grams a day, but my calorie is closer to 1600 q day, so a higher percentage.
  • 208whit
    208whit Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you!
    I am following a show prep diet for 6 weeks. I am a female, 5’8”, 135lb, I workout out hard, looking to gain muscle.

I am aware of potential kidney proteins with a high protein diet but this is temporary.

I appreciate your help w this! For some reason, I thought the grams would correctly calculate before converting to calories.

Thanks again so much!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited January 2020
    208whit wrote: »
    Thank you!
    I am following a show prep diet for 6 weeks. I am a female, 5’8”, 135lb, I workout out hard, looking to gain muscle.

I am aware of potential kidney proteins with a high protein diet but this is temporary.

I appreciate your help w this! For some reason, I thought the grams would correctly calculate before converting to calories.

Thanks again so much!

If you have healthy kidneys the whole "high protein is bad for your kidneys" thing really isn't a thing. I'm going from memory but there was only a single study that showed possible kidney problems on a high protein diet and it turns out that study was severely flawed and thus invalid. There's no recent, valid, published scientific evidence that says eating over a certain level of protein is bad for your kidneys.