New Year's Gym Etiquette

Options
2»

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Don’t stand close to anyone doing Olympic lifts. Particularly people like me who are still learning - the bar path could be fast and aggressive* and I can’t stop mid snatch when someone walks in the way!

*it will be one day...! 🤣

Please be aware of your surroundings generally. I swear people in my gym have a death wish. They walk a foot in front of me when I am in the middle of doing kettlebell swings.

Please don't exercise right in front of the equipment rack so that everyone wanting to fetch/return equipment has to wait while you challenge yourself to a ten minute plank.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    ~ If your gym has a track, follow the flow scheme for that day. And if you are walking, keep to the right to allow runners to pass you. And if you are in a group, please only be two people wide. Taking up the whole track then giving snotty looks when someone asks you to pass is flat out rude.

This is a huge peeve of mine. I have access to several gyms with indoor tracks, and in most of them, people routinely ignore (or fail to notice) the signs about direction or which lane is reserved for runners. And even when they do stick to the walkers lanes, the slow walkers often walk side-by-side in a way that forces runners to squeeze past them.

Not to mention that on several occasions, I had to stop short because walkers would nonchalantly step in to the runners lane as they pass other people. I remember letting out a loud "Oh, come on!" one time, which the walkers discreetly ignored.

And don't get me started on this crazy woman who was jumping rope in the runner's lane.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    ~ If your gym has a track, follow the flow scheme for that day. And if you are walking, keep to the right to allow runners to pass you. And if you are in a group, please only be two people wide. Taking up the whole track then giving snotty looks when someone asks you to pass is flat out rude.

This is a huge peeve of mine. I have access to several gyms with indoor tracks, and in most of them, people routinely ignore (or fail to notice) the signs about direction or which lane is reserved for runners. And even when they do stick to the walkers lanes, the slow walkers often walk side-by-side in a way that forces runners to squeeze past them.

Not to mention that on several occasions, I had to stop short because walkers would nonchalantly step in to the runners lane as they pass other people. I remember letting out a loud "Oh, come on!" one time, which the walkers discreetly ignored.

And don't get me started on this crazy woman who was jumping rope in the runner's lane.

This is genuinely a question (not a criticism or suggestion), as I don't run anywhere inside or out (bad knees), so I truly don't know:

Do runners sharing a track with walkers not do the kind of "passing on your left" (or whatever) that I'm accustomed to doing on my bike, when sharing a trail with pedestrians? Maybe it's quieter at the track, so you expect people would hear the runner coming, or something?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Be willing to let someone work in with you. Especially, if there's only one machine/rack and that item is a hot commodity.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

This is genuinely a question (not a criticism or suggestion), as I don't run anywhere inside or out (bad knees), so I truly don't know:

Do runners sharing a track with walkers not do the kind of "passing on your left" (or whatever) that I'm accustomed to doing on my bike, when sharing a trail with pedestrians? Maybe it's quieter at the track, so you expect people would hear the runner coming, or something?

I'm sure that some do, and some don't. Even if they don't though, you'd have to be pretty stupid to just step into the runner's lane without first seeing if a runner is coming your way. It's not like the great outdoors, after all, where the runners and walkers don't have separate, dedicated lanes.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options

Also be sure to notice which lanes are for runners. On tracks in my area the inside lane(s) are typically for runners (usually posted,), which is contrary to what many people think since when driving the faster traffic should be to the outside lane.
  • tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you are going to swim laps, please wear goggles! The pool is often also busier at this time of year and I cannot count the number of times I have had to try to share a lane with someone who isn't wearing goggles and can't see where they are going. Nothing like avoiding a flailing set of arms and legs coming right at you to get your heart rate up! :p
    Also, on the locker room side...please do not take a 40 minute shower if there are a limited number of showers available and people waiting. Get in, get your business done and get out!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of the free tour that the gym gives you. They can show you where everything is so you aren't wandering around feeling like you're in people's way :smile:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Follow the facility rules for getting along with others , including don’t use your phone in the locker room 😩

Do your thing, stop worrying about what others think of you because in all honesty they’re doing their thing, not watching you.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Also be sure to notice which lanes are for runners. On tracks in my area the inside lane(s) are typically for runners (usually posted,), which is contrary to what many people think since when driving the faster traffic should be to the outside lane.

Just last night, a woman raised a fuss when I said, "You know, you're in one of the runners' lanes." I said it twice -- but only twice -- because she didn't seem to hear me the first time. So yelled, "I know! Tell that to the hundred other people doing the same thing!" Which was nonsensical, but I brushed it off.

Then she snapped my photo and said, "I'm going to report you for harassment!"

"All I said is that you're in the wrong lane," I said. "You're harassing me now!" she replied.

Yes, some people just fail to notice the signage, no matter how large it is. Through the years though, I have learned that a lot of people just don't care.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

Just last night, a woman raised a fuss when I said, "You know, you're in one of the runners' lanes." I said it twice -- but only twice -- because she didn't seem to hear me the first time. So yelled, "I know! Tell that to the hundred other people doing the same thing!" Which was nonsensical, but I brushed it off.

"All I said is that you're in the wrong lane," I said. "You're harassing me now!" she replied.

Yes, some people just fail to notice the signage, no matter how large it is. Through the years though, I have learned that a lot of people just don't care.

Hope your facility has a rule regarding taking member's pictures without permission :).
  • spartan_d
    Options

Hope your facility has a rule regarding taking member's pictures without permission :).

Some of the gyms that I attend do have that rule. I don't think this one does, though. (I have a multi-gym pass.)

Thankfully, I spoke to the staff before she could. Later, I was told that she did speak to the manager. I don't know how that went, and I'm sure he told her that walkers should use the walkers-only lanes. I'd wager that he was probably too soft on her, though.

Based on my conversation with him, he's very much of the "Everyone has their own perception" mentality. That's not totally without merit, and she *could* conceivably have thought that I was yelling at her. Harassment implies a continuing pattern though, and there's no way that merely saying, "You know, you're in a runners-only lane" twice constitutes harassment. And of course, if you're willfully ignoring the gym rules (as she was), then you really have no basis for standing your ground.

I've learned that a lot of gym managers are weak when it comes to enforcing such rules, though. Most gym goers -- and certainly most track users -- are casual users rather than people seeking a vigorous workout. As a result, gym management usually enforces rules in a manner that favors the casual gym goers, so they seldom care about people standing on the track, walking in the wrong way, or even walking in the wrong direction.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Please wipe your sweat off the equipment when you’re done. Don’t sit on a piece of equipment staring at your phone for 10 minutes (or more).
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Here's one not mentioned - if there is a row of about 20 treadmills and only 1 is being used, don't pick either of the treadmills right next to the one being used. (ie same for elipticals, bathrooms, etc)

• Theoldguy1
    Options

Some of the gyms that I attend do have that rule. I don't think this one does, though. (I have a multi-gym pass.)

Thankfully, I spoke to the staff before she could. Later, I was told that she did speak to the manager. I don't know how that went, and I'm sure he told her that walkers should use the walkers-only lanes. I'd wager that he was probably too soft on her, though.

Based on my conversation with him, he's very much of the "Everyone has their own perception" mentality. That's not totally without merit, and she *could* conceivably have thought that I was yelling at her. Harassment implies a continuing pattern though, and there's no way that merely saying, "You know, you're in a runners-only lane" twice constitutes harassment. And of course, if you're willfully ignoring the gym rules (as she was), then you really have no basis for standing your ground.

I've learned that a lot of gym managers are weak when it comes to enforcing such rules, though. Most gym goers -- and certainly most track users -- are casual users rather than people seeking a vigorous workout. As a result, gym management usually enforces rules in a manner that favors the casual gym goers, so they seldom care about people standing on the track, walking in the wrong way, or even walking in the wrong direction.

I feel it's somewhat like the rules (other than the ones against actions that could clearly get someone hurt) are there more as a "suggestion" and a way to defend asking one to stop a behavior and/or kicking a troublemaker out if a lot of people are complaining about the troublemaker's actions. If nobody complains, they can do their thing. What is "excessive" noise when lifting?

Sort of like dress codes at some bars requiring "appropriate attire", without really listing what "appropriate attire" is.
  • spartan_d
    edited January 2020
    Options

I feel it's somewhat like the rules (other than the ones against actions that could clearly get someone hurt) are there more as a "suggestion" and a way to defend asking one to stop a behavior and/or kicking a troublemaker out if a lot of people are complaining about the troublemaker's actions. If nobody complains, they can do their thing. What is "excessive" noise when lifting?

Sort of like dress codes at some bars requiring "appropriate attire", without really listing what "appropriate attire" is.

Valid point. You could be right.

In principle, track usage would be a lot smoother if they would require patrons to stay within their proper lanes. In most cases, it'd be a win-win situation for everyone. After all, walkers seldom need to use the runners' lanes except when overtaking someone -- and that can be done carefully. Runners would be free to use their own lanes without interference.

That requires pro-active effort to enforce though, and you'd get opposition from people who want to do their own thing "just because." The gym might also lose revenue from the rulebreakers. So yeah, the rules could very well be nothing more than a way to justify dealing with a troublemaker when enough people complain.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited January 2020
    Options

Valid point. You could be right.

In principle, track usage would be a lot smoother if they would require patrons to stay within their proper lanes. In most cases, it'd be a win-win situation for everyone. After all, walkers seldom need to use the runners' lanes except when overtaking someone -- and that can be done carefully. Runners would be free to use their own lanes without interference.

That requires pro-active effort to enforce though, and you'd get opposition from people who want to do their own thing "just because." The gym might also lose revenue from the rulebreakers. So yeah, the rules could very well be nothing more than a way to justify dealing with a troublemaker when enough people complain.

Yep. Guessing there are a lot of people walking in running lanes who are also driving 55 in the left lane when the speed limit is 75.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Ok, story time. Monday we started to get a trickle of new members at my gym. Noticed this older skinny guy come in and bee-line to the db area. He takes over the preacher bench and loads a curl bar with two 45's. I'm curious now because that isn't a trivial weight for an obviously new lifter. Well, he doesn't preacher curl it or even curl it at all. He uses the pegs on the bench and the curl bar to do some kind of romanian DL variation. I went back to doing a set and there is a sudden bang and I look to find that the curl bar is now two benches over and the guy is holding his side and rubbing his shoulder. Wife told me he was unloading one side and the bar flipped and smacked him on it's way over.

Guy showed up yesterday again with a bee-line to the preacher bench. Loads it with 25's this time and just leaves it on the pegs. He goes over to the "Yes/No" machine and does a set then gets a mat and starts doing stretches. Well, the loaded bar he left is in the way of the rack that holds the plates for the hammer press I'm about to use so I unload it and rack everything. He comes back about 30 minutes later, loads the bar back up and then leaves it. He never came back so I ended up racking the weights again an hour later before I left for the day.

Then we have MMA guy. Another older dude in an MMA branded hoodie who took one of the benches and spent the entire two hours I was in the gym doing nothing but 95# flat bench. I lost track of how many sets he was doing. I kinda admired his tunnel vision and determination.

Chicken lady is back too - every year. She was flapping some 2.5# plates around while duck walking with a band doing laps around the gym. She then proceeded to hump the cable machine for 20 minutes - with not a single plate engaged on the mechanism. She also likes to turn every tv onto CNN or MSNBC and then proceeds to hide the remotes. I've gotten pretty good at finding them.

Besides the obvious dangers posed by folks who don't know how to use equipment - it's highly entertaining seeing the new routines and exercises people invent.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Ok, story time. Monday we started to get a trickle of new members at my gym. Noticed this older skinny guy come in and bee-line to the db area. He takes over the preacher bench and loads a curl bar with two 45's. I'm curious now because that isn't a trivial weight for an obviously new lifter. Well, he doesn't preacher curl it or even curl it at all. He uses the pegs on the bench and the curl bar to do some kind of romanian DL variation. I went back to doing a set and there is a sudden bang and I look to find that the curl bar is now two benches over and the guy is holding his side and rubbing his shoulder. Wife told me he was unloading one side and the bar flipped and smacked him on it's way over.

Guy showed up yesterday again with a bee-line to the preacher bench. Loads it with 25's this time and just leaves it on the pegs. He goes over to the "Yes/No" machine and does a set then gets a mat and starts doing stretches. Well, the loaded bar he left is in the way of the rack that holds the plates for the hammer press I'm about to use so I unload it and rack everything. He comes back about 30 minutes later, loads the bar back up and then leaves it. He never came back so I ended up racking the weights again an hour later before I left for the day.

Then we have MMA guy. Another older dude in an MMA branded hoodie who took one of the benches and spent the entire two hours I was in the gym doing nothing but 95# flat bench. I lost track of how many sets he was doing. I kinda admired his tunnel vision and determination.

Chicken lady is back too - every year. She was flapping some 2.5# plates around while duck walking with a band doing laps around the gym. She then proceeded to hump the cable machine for 20 minutes - with not a single plate engaged on the mechanism. She also likes to turn every tv onto CNN or MSNBC and then proceeds to hide the remotes. I've gotten pretty good at finding them.

Besides the obvious dangers posed by folks who don't know how to use equipment - it's highly entertaining seeing the new routines and exercises people invent.

I changed the time I go to the gym to an off-peak time, so I don't see any of the fun stuff.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is more about change room etiquette, and while not my #1 piece of advice, it's top of mind because there's a woman who does this every morning in the change room:

If you're showering at the gym, bring a towel. Don't waste an entire roll of paper towel to dry yourself off every single day because you're too lazy to bring your own towel. And the constant *rrrrrrrrip* of the paper towel is also incredibly annoying.

WTF. This is the weirdest thing I’ve ever heard. And I assume said woman has hair? Why would this ever be better than packing a towel?