How to avoid "the saggy belly"

Options
2»

Replies

• Kassielin13
    Options
    Bump!!! After 2 months I am having the same issues!
  • clarajean123
    clarajean123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Genetics, aging, diet, exercise all play a role with sagging skin. I have loss a lot of weight. We're not perfect, just work on being and feeling healthy. Every thing will work out! :smile:
  • laz22girl
    Options
    It depends on your skin elasticity. Basically genetics.

I started at 268, I'm now 176 and I have skin on my stomach, thighs and arms. Well, HAD skin on my arms...I recently had a bracio/arm lift. I'm thinking about a tummy tuck.

I work out 5 days a week. Nothing will make the skin go back but time and genetics.

Just don't worry about it!
  • laz22girl
    Options
    I disagree with the losing slowly thing. That is an urban legend. I lost my 100 pds over a 5 yr period and I have plenty of skin.

Also, exercise/crunches whatever is also an urban legend. Yes, it will help give you muscle, but that muscle is typically not big enough to fill in the skin.

Just lose weight healthily and hope for the best! Save for surgery ;) time is the only thing that helps. I've been at my current weight 5-6 yrs and every yr I notice a tiny bit of change. My arms were just shot. However, while my stomach is lose and will always be...it's not gross.
  • dianer75935
    dianer75935 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump I worry about this also
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This is strictly my opinion and I am not a doctor but I am a health and physical education teacher. Alot of it will depend on your age and genetics. The younger you are, the better your chance it will shrink some. If you have good genetics, then you are very lucky.T However, the skin has been stretched and more than likely will not "shrink" back. Crunches are not going to make your stomach stop sagging because you are strengthening the muscles under the layer of fat and skin. If you are older, as I am, you will either need to have a tummy tuck or suck it up. Since I don't have enough money to have a tuck, I guess I get to suck it up becuase I can't suck it in! LOL This doesn't mean to quit exercising or strength training...keep going and relish in your accomplishments! Good luck!

This is exactly what I was going to say. When I spoke with a dermatologist she told me just this...that age and genetics play a huge part. I am extremely lucky to have very tight skin, it is a little looser after having my son and losing 50lbs. But I will say that when I was eating cleaner...I noticed a HUGE difference in how quick my skin was able to "tighten up" so just be patient with it and make sure you are still exercising, drinking tons of water, eating clean, but also keeping in mind that it may not be the super tight skin that you are "expecting" when you are all done. Good luck girl! The best thing is you will be at your goal and healthy!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You likely will have some for a while. Exercise can help tone the muscle underneath but I doubt it will do anything about the skin itself. The younger you are the quicker it will likely shrink. It's kind of like after your belly grows when you have a baby. It takes a while for that stretched skin to shrink back to normal.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Ajessie
    Options
    All of this information is really helpful, thanks so much guys! I'm 26 and I workout ALMOST everyday. Water is sometimes an issue so I should probably make that goal a priority! Not sure on the genetic end, most of my family is overweight and none of them have "transformed" like I plan to. Guess I'll have to wait and see! That core workout sounds really awesome too, I'm gonna have to try it! :flowerforyou:
  • mitchellsmama
    Options
    laz22girl: I totally agree with your comments!:laugh:
  • mailroommary
    Options
    I was just told to start doing core exercises on an exercise ball. Get one sturdy enough to sit on and start doing leg lifts. It's what physical therapists do for back/spine patients. It's more difficult than it sounds and really works the core muscles. Doing crunches on a ball are also excellent!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you are hoping for something positive you don't want to hear from me. LOL Of course, 6 pregnancies (the last, twins) in 10 years doesn't help either.