Bulletproof coffee and IF

Options
Hi everyone,
I am new to IF 16:8 and attempting to do it for weight loss with caloric restriction during the eating hours. Will bulletproof coffee (12 oz coffee, 1tbsp butter, 1tbsp cream, 1 tbsp coconut oil) in the AM break the fast? Some say yes, some say no....what does this forum think???

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I agree with apullum...but one of those coffees would kill my saturated fat allowance for the rest of the day!

Hard core IF practitioners would likely tell you that yes, any calories breaks a fast. Technically, pedantically, that is true.

Do what you want, it's your thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If it were plain coffee, I wouldn't worry about the 2 calories in that breaking the fast, but 240 calories is definitely of note. You'd consider eating a Snickers bar breaking the fast, wouldn't you?

That said, see above posts about not needing to be rigid about IF in order to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    paezsa wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to IF 16:8 and attempting to do it for weight loss with caloric restriction during the eating hours. Will bulletproof coffee (12 oz coffee, 1tbsp butter, 1tbsp cream, 1 tbsp coconut oil) in the AM break the fast? Some say yes, some say no....what does this forum think???

Technically yes...you're taking in calories, thus breaking a fast. That's about 240ish calories.

As others have said, there's nothing magical about IF for losing weight. People use the IF protocol to maintain and gain weight as well. It ultimately comes down to calories.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If you are trying to "fast," consuming about 240 cal would seem to break the fast, as that's as many cals as many have for breakfast.

But as others have said, IF doesn't have specific rules, you can set your own, and as the main benefit is simply helping control cals, if consuming the bulletproof coffee doesn't make it harder for you to otherwise not eat outside your window or to stick within your calorie goal, then no reason not to have it if you want to have it.

Oh, I missed that there were 3 tbsps. So likely more like 360 cal.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to "fast," consuming about 240 cal would seem to break the fast, as that's as many cals as many have for breakfast.

But as others have said, IF doesn't have specific rules, you can set your own, and as the main benefit is simply helping control cals, if consuming the bulletproof coffee doesn't make it harder for you to otherwise not eat outside your window or to stick within your calorie goal, then no reason not to have it if you want to have it.

Oh, I missed that there were 3 tbsps. So likely more like 360 cal.

That is more calories than I get from my standard breakfast of a protein bar and 300 grmas of pineapple. It's a full meal in a coffee cup.

• mfpphoenixx
    mfpphoenixx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes it will break your fast. Having anything over 50 calories will break fast. Also some sweeteners have an effect on insulin and blood sugar that breaks fasting
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you drink your coffee that way? Bulletproof coffee is a method of adding fats and calories into a diet(often keto) and IF is a method to consume fewer calories by restricting what hours one eats. Do you like your coffee like that?