What to eat after 8PM?

Options
it is really amazing how much you can loose when you stop eating after a certain time. For the past few days I've focused on eating before 7 or 7:30 PM and have really seen the scale drop. In some cases though I get off work around 6 or 7, followed by the gym, which causes me to not get home until 8:30 or 9. I don't want to put my body into starvation mode, but I don't want to throw my focus off and eat late. Any tips on what to eat when I get home later from a long day of school, work, and the gym? Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want, when you want and lose weight as long as you keep a caloric deficit. i think dieting is easier when you aren't super restrictive on things like meal times, food choices etc
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want, when you want and lose weight as long as you keep a caloric deficit. i think dieting is easier when you aren't super restrictive on things like meal times, food choices etc

I agree. There are studies that back this up as well. Not eating after a certain time (if you are eating healthy and at a deficit) won't help you with weight loss. So, eat when you get home. Just stay within your calories, and eat good foods. You will be fine.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

I agree. There are studies that back this up as well. Not eating after a certain time (if you are eating healthy and at a deficit) won't help you with weight loss. So, eat when you get home. Just stay within your calories, and eat good foods. You will be fine.

Absolutely correct.

If you're worried about a heavy FEELING, which is understandable, then baby carrots and nonfat greek yogurt with a little cayenne. Mmm. :)
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For the past couple of days I have been getting home late as well. I have made myself an omelet (1 organic egg, and 1 egg white -egg beaters liquid egg whites) usually with mushrooms and scallions and I put it on an 8 in whole wheat wrap with some kind of cheese (usually FF shredded Mozz) with some fresh spinach and a splash of hot sauce. Its not carb heavy and filling.
  • wxkris
    Options
    My old personal trainer always said to DECREASE your carb intake throughout the day, and INCREASE your protein intake. This is because you don't want to eat carbs (which are supposed to give you energy) and then go to sleep, because then your body can't burn them as effectively and it will store the carbs.

At night, she said to eat "lean and green." I would suggest something like a cheese stick wrapped in a piece of ham, a few bites of ground turkey with salsa on it and maybe some broccoli....or anything else "lean and green." It's really helped me!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    it may have been that you ate MORE when you ate later. or eating earlier has reduced water retention. but i agree with above. eat whenever you want
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    For the past couple of days I have been getting home late as well. I have made myself an omelet (1 organic egg, and 1 egg white -egg beaters liquid egg whites) usually with mushrooms and scallions and I put it on an 8 in whole wheat wrap with some kind of cheese (usually FF shredded Mozz) with some fresh spinach and a splash of hot sauce. Its not carb heavy and filling.

Exactly what I do. I will add loads of veggies (I keep a container in the fridge of leftover veggies from meals and grilling) and use usually 2 eggs and lo fat shredded mozz cheese. Sometimes I will stuff it into a Josephs Flax & Oat Pita (60 calories) and it's something hot and not overly heavy.
  • sld2746
    sld2746 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds do-able to me! All of that sounds very yummy. Thanks for all your help!
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. Stay at a deficit as others said.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    no offense, but that is an old wives' tale.

you can eat at any time at all and still lose and/or maintain a healthy weight.

There are any number of "tricks" to losing weight, but what works is moving your body and fueling it properly. The clock is irrelevant.

blessings.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Good work mythbusting! If only every thread worked this smoothly! :drinker:
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My goal is not to eat within 2 hours of going to bed since your metabolism slows down when your asleep. I try to have my last snack be something lite.
  • j06j10
    Options
    GO AHEAD EAT BUT FIRST DRINK WATER SO YOU EAT AND FEEL FULL AFTER A COUPLE OF BITES. TRY TO EAT SOMETHING LIGHT NO CARBS THATS FOR SURE STICK WITH YOUR CALORIC DEFT. MAYBE SOME FRUIT OR A SALAD. MY LAST MEAL IS AT 6 OR 7 BUT THATS JUST HOW I WAS RAISED I AM USED TO OT BUT MY HUSBAND AND HIS FAM ARE USED TO EATING DINNER AT LIKE 9 OR 11 AT NIGHT SO WE LIKE TO EAT TOGETHER AND SO I EAT WITH THEM BUT I USE ONE OF MY KIDS BOWLS SO I DONT OVER DO IT AND I DONT FEEL GUILTY AFTER WORDS BUT I DO NOTICE THAT I DO GET CONSTIPATED CAUSE THE FOOD WAS A LITTLE HEAVY ON MY STOMACH THEY EAT A LOT OF MEAT. SO KNOW I EAT WITH THEM I EAT LIKE FRUIT OR SOME CEREAL I SAID NO CARBS BUT I DONT WANT TO EAT ANYTHING ELSE LOL SO YEAH GIRL JUST FIGURE SOMETHING THAT BEST FITS YOU
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Good work mythbusting! If only every thread worked this smoothly! :drinker:

So true!! :wink:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    If you want just something small, you might try pitted dates(Sunsweet Brand are good). To me they are almost like eating a piece of chocolate.

If you have larger cravings and don't want to spoil your diet, I guzzle a 20oz bottle of soda,
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats a nightcap of protein shake before bed to cap a beautiful day...I drink one every single night just before bed...keeps the blood sugar flat overnight and feeds those sore muscles while I sleep...
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try Protein drinks
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    GO AHEAD EAT BUT FIRST DRINK WATER SO YOU EAT AND FEEL FULL AFTER A COUPLE OF BITES. TRY TO EAT SOMETHING LIGHT NO CARBS THATS FOR SURE STICK WITH YOUR CALORIC DEFT. MAYBE SOME FRUIT OR A SALAD. MY LAST MEAL IS AT 6 OR 7 BUT THATS JUST HOW I WAS RAISED I AM USED TO OT BUT MY HUSBAND AND HIS FAM ARE USED TO EATING DINNER AT LIKE 9 OR 11 AT NIGHT SO WE LIKE TO EAT TOGETHER AND SO I EAT WITH THEM BUT I USE ONE OF MY KIDS BOWLS SO I DONT OVER DO IT AND I DONT FEEL GUILTY AFTER WORDS BUT I DO NOTICE THAT I DO GET CONSTIPATED CAUSE THE FOOD WAS A LITTLE HEAVY ON MY STOMACH THEY EAT A LOT OF MEAT. SO KNOW I EAT WITH THEM I EAT LIKE FRUIT OR SOME CEREAL I SAID NO CARBS BUT I DONT WANT TO EAT ANYTHING ELSE LOL SO YEAH GIRL JUST FIGURE SOMETHING THAT BEST FITS YOU

Holy excessive capitalization and absence of punctuation, Batman!
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a normal schedule so I do most of my eating prior to 7pm, but when I was working 2nd shift and I was forced to eat my last meal just before bed, yogurt was my go to meal.

It was enough to fill me up- but not too heavy to sleep on.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Y R U SCREAMING ?