Small steps to better decisions

Options
I just trashed the remaining 2/3 bag of white chocolate chips that I had planned to make cookies with during Christmas. I just knew they had to go after my midnight outing with 1 of my dogs last night and instead of heading back to bed, I headed for that bag. :/

So what small steps have you taken lately to stay on track??

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Using mfp again is mine! I took a break for a couple months, but I only consistently lose when I'm logging
  • krupscafe
    krupscafe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Day 3 of logging EVERYTHING. If I don't finish it in the evening, I complete it first thing in the morning.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I make sure my workout programming and goals are in line. I like having it all set up, outlined for the next 12 weeks and printed out for the month. I even like to know what I'm doing 6+ months ahead of time it really gets me excited and determined.

Food wise, I buy high protein foods and snacks. In the past I did meal prep but I don't have time for that now. I just make sure I'm getting enough protein then eat every few hours.

I still have pounds of Christmas chocolate all over the place. It just sits there on the counter in my kitchen. I don't really touch it. But I have to make sure it's out of reach from the kiddos!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I just trashed the remaining 2/3 bag of white chocolate chips that I had planned to make cookies with during Christmas. I just knew they had to go after my midnight outing with 1 of my dogs last night and instead of heading back to bed, I headed for that bag. :/

Great! Liberal use of the trash bin is a great weight loss technique.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be more mindful of what goes in my mouth. Just because I can fit it in my calorie goal, doesn't mean I shouldn't still pick foods that give more nutritional bang for the buck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I started logging again.

I also started journaling again as part of my first of the year back on track plan (although I started the weekend before). For me this involves setting some bigger goals (mine will be training for some races, probably, but I haven't set them yet), and then building up to them with smaller weekly and daily goals. I write out the things I want to work on for the week and then each day note how it went and then review at the end of the week.

My biggest issue over the past few months has been lack of sleep (related to work stress), which both interferes with my willingness to complete workouts (like go running in the morning) and my discipline re food. Thus, I decided no coffee other than my cup or 2 first thing in the morning, that I would try to prioritize sleep, and that I would have a set morning schedule and make sure I bring my lunch to work 4 of 5 weekdays at minimum. There's more to it, but they aren't all directly food or fitness related. I also set a workout schedule to get back into it that's pretty easy for the first week.

These are all pretty small steps that are really helping so far. Once they are set I will continue building on them.
  • krupscafe
    krupscafe Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My logging paid off. I lost 1.6 pounds this week.
    Taking control of food always encourages me to take control of other things. The most recent is that I know I don't get enough sleep so I chose a time to stop whatever I'm doing and get some sleep. I've made it for 3 days and am feeling much more rested. It also gives me less time to snack around!
    The weekend is upon us and I'm determined to keep the weight off and keep on enforcing bedtime.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    I knew I was in a super munchy mood so I went for a long walk after the gym instead of coming in and sitting on the couch. I left money at home so i couldn't stop at Starbucks when i walked by it.

Got back to the gym after 2 weeks by putting in my ear buds and turning on my playlist to pump me up before and on the way to gym and had a great workout!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    buying one gallon jugs of filtered drinking water. I put one on the counter and then I know I'll get my water in..and it makes such a difference.
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well, I don’t know if you’d call it small steps but at the time I’m trying a little harder to avoid making things I am no good at moderating myself with, like the things I baked at Christmas. Since New Years I’ve been trying to log even after I’ve gone over my daily calorie limit. This is improvement because even though it doesn’t happen often, when i overdo my daily calories I tend to avoid logging the “whole truth and nothing but the truth” and closing out, even though I already know it doesn’t matter, my body knows everything. It’s silly because I almost feel like a dang kid afraid of getting in trouble.
    So, even though I’ve not seen a significant gain on the scale I’ve been;

1.) trying to replace those empty/dense calorie foods with the normal options I got used to going for like apples/yogurt (I don’t overeat these things, and they do a good job satisfying).

And 2.) logging even after I’m in the red if the encounter does happen, start over with a clean slate the next day.

I guess that’s a lot for small steps but at the moment that seems to be what I’m trying hardest to sort out. Guess I’d better get a hold of it soon or my maintenance days will turn back into deficit days.