Scared of gym

Options
So I've lost 10 lbs this month by just eating better. Today I went to go get a gym membership and I want to start going tonight but I'm so scared to start and I don't know why!!!
I tried motivating myself, bought new shoes, gym bag, water bottle.. but I can't get the courage to just get up and do it. Anyone else have this? Am I crazy for being so scared lol???

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It’s normal to feel that way. You just have to force yourself to do it. Realize no one is paying any attention to you. Once you’re there you’ll wonder why you were so nervous!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    See if your gym offers a free session with a trainer, they can get you started. I was nervous when I went but people really aren't paying attention to you.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    It a new scary experience. Just take a leap of faith. Have fun and take some classes. Then come back and update us. Your gonna love it and next post you will be a gym rat
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    It’s OK to be nervous. It’s a completely new situation. I get a little freaked out every time I have ended up taking a longer break from the gym.

What helps me is that the first time I go after a break, my only goal is to go there, put on my gear, and do *something* for half an hour. Even if that something is taking a slow walk on the treadmill and then stretching while looking around, it helps me get used to my surroundings. Then, while you’re there, see if there’s something that catches your interest and try that next time.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's very daunting. I found even just walking in the first time very daunting, but I'm lucky that my gym is mega mega diverse. It's small but we have all ages, shapes, levels of fitness and motivations. People just go in there, do their own thing and leave. Sometimes you chat but if you don't feel like chatting, you just put on headphones and do your own thing and then leave. I'm short and puny so I often need help reaching things that are up high or asking someone to move heavy weights off equipment so that I can use it and everyone is always super super helpful. I think once you start going in - you'll realise that everyone's focussed on their own thing and you don't need to feel self conscious or nervous. <3<3 Good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You're doing everything right.. you have your gear all set and your membership. You just have to condition yourself al little bit..that's what I do .

I don't get scared but I feel uncomfortable and self conscious to lift weights and use the machines whenever I return to the gym. So..this advice from someone who has been at the gym on and off for 30 years.

When I've fallen off the wagon and haven't been for a while or stretch...what I do is get on the elliptical and do my cardio for 30 minutes to an hour. I do that for a few visits until I'm conditioned to being there. Then I just go for it after a week or so..and just hit the machines..and it is all pretty silly..no one really cares at all.

But yeah.. that insecure feeling returns each and every time I restart my gym program.

• johnnys_fitness_ch
    johnnys_fitness_ch Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Pay people no mind because they are not paying you any mind. Get in there, work your *kitten* off have goals and chase them. Chase that insane switch. Keep grinding and never ever give up no matter what.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Agree. The gym regulars are in their own bubbles. The folks there to hang out and socialize will be gone in a few weeks.

And you aren’t alone. This comes up here a lot. One thing to try in response to anxiety is visualization. Picture yourself going, then being there doing your workout. Then leaving and feeling satisfied with what you’ve done. It can help. Don’t forget to focus on the satisfaction at the end.

And if it seems crowded and hectic when you get there, give it a couple of weeks. Every gym gets a New Year surge but it soon passes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Scared? No...but new environments can be initially uncomfortable. I just started at a new gym this week and there's always a little bit of discomfort going somewhere new due to the unfamiliarity and unfamiliar faces.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted the same thing today. Some good advice was given-go in and try something you know you can do. Step on a treadmill and press "go." Walk. Do that a few times. Then add in other things as you gain confidence. If you're wanting to lift, it might be helpful to find a trainer so that you go in with a plan. At my gym right now, there are lots of people walking around, trying out equipment, but not doing much of anything. If you go in with a plan, you'll be just like most of the other people there: in your own workout bubble.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    https://imgflip.com/i/3ls82u

Don't worry about it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So I've lost 10 lbs this month by just eating better. Today I went to go get a gym membership and I want to start going tonight but I'm so scared to start and I don't know why!!!
    I tried motivating myself, bought new shoes, gym bag, water bottle.. but I can't get the courage to just get up and do it. Anyone else have this? Am I crazy for being so scared lol???

No, you are not crazy. You just have to do it one time and you will realize nobody cares about you. I don't mean that in a rude way, I just mean that most people are too wrapped up in their own workout to think about a newbie.

My first trip to the gym was to a pool for a water aerobics class. I was so worried about looking like an idiot AND squishing my almost 300 lb. frame into a swimming suit. I got a couple of "who's the new girl" looks but nobody looked at me like I didn't belong. After the first time, it was a piece of cake.

Take advantage of any orientations your gym offers. Feel free to ask questions of staff. Ask other members questions if they seem receptive but don't interrupt their workout. You'll be fine.
  • powerfulthighs
    powerfulthighs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy. I think on some level most of us are anxious about going to the gym. Best way to get through it for me is a great playlist on a loud volume. Do your own thing, you belong in the gym as much as anyone.
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It’s a significant change. That’s what’s intimidating you, I think. The setting itself is not as scary as the change that it implies or comes with it if it becomes a regular habit.

It’s actually like going to the store; everyone there is focused on getting what they want and in a hurry to get out of there. The changes, however, that come with being active at a gym affect all aspects of your life; priorities, relationships and self. “The gym” can make a big impact, but that idea can build a lot of pressure leading up to joining, likewise. So...

Start with Day 1. Go. Familiarize yourself with just being there. The treadmill is a great starting point because you already know how to walk, it’s easy to function and you can get a good lay of the land from where you are without seeming lost or out of place, nope. You’ll be just another stray gym-cat just treading the mill, don’t mind you, etc... Just get yourself there (that’s the toughest part) and the rest should be gravy.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was the same, and understand. Just go and worry about doing your thing, within a few mins you will be at home. Now that dont mean people at gym wont bug you or irritate you, but you wont be nervous/afraid anymore.
  • quoteloveunquote
    quoteloveunquote Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am the same! I did it today by asking a friend to go with me. She was nervous about it too, so we drove together and planned to go on cardio machines (whatever was available two next to each other) so we could stay in one place and scope out the rest from one vantage point. I'll get braver after a few visits, but today's goal was just to get there and stay for an hour.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna offer some slightly different advice because I am not a fan of the gym.

You don't generally have to sign up for a membership to try a gym out, you can usually do a taster day, why don't you get a friend to tag along check out a few different gyms, you might find one more appealing that another.

If you don't like it, it's ok, you don't have to go to a gym to improve your fitness, you can do both cardio and strength training at home/outside with minimal equipment, especially if you're new to it.

Cardio - walking, hiking, jogging, running - apps such as C25K or Zombies Run can help.
    Strength Training - Pair of Dumbbells and/or some Resistance bands (or bodyweight exercises) - there are lots of great free workout channels on Youtube - Fitness Blender, HASFIT, Nerd Fitness
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

Look at it this way, it's simply an issue of momentum, you are just getting the ball rolling