Workout fear/anxiety

Options
Hi everyone-
I am experiencing fear-or possibly anxiety- when it comes to walking out the door to go to the gym. Or even just the thought of working out anywhere. I used to be an avid fitness person, and I’m not scared of actually using equipment or anything. I know I’m feeling bad because I’m nowhere near where I used to be in terms of my fitness level or body physique. I don’t know why I can’t just go. I get dressed to go and somehow just don’t make it out the door. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It’s hard for a lot of people to get over that first hurdle. I suggest scheduling an orientation/into yo the gym and equipment. Even though you know how to work out and use the equipment, it will help you ease into the new surroundings.
    No one will be watching you. They don’t know or care where you used to be. It’s in your own “head” so just have a “talk” with yourself. I mean that in a positive way. Sometimes I just have to tell my mind yo *kitten* up! Lol.
    Go, and start with something easy like the treadmill or a simple weight routine, a yoga class, etc. Then work up as you get comfortable with the surroundings.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    There was a point in time where I bought a gym membership online, one that was close to my office. I would pack my bag and drive over there on my lunch hour, sit in the parking lot for 5 minutes, and then just leave. I don't know why it was so hard to just get up and walk in. Being in a new place can be uncomfortable. So yes I've experienced this! I don't have advice for overcoming it though... you just have to force yourself out of comfort zone and just do it. Just walk in. Plan on doing something very easy on your first day. Get on the treadmill or elliptical, whatever you are most comfortable with. You can look around at everyone else and see that they are all in their own little worlds, no one is paying any attention to you. That first day is always the hardest.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness-yes! So many people experience this when first starting out or getting back into it. Believe me, you are not alone. But the first step to getting back in shape is to walk out the door and go. I guarantee once you get you first workout in, the second will be easier for you to get up and go. I go to the gym A LOT ...now..but getting my butt back into it was hard.. it is hard for everyone in that gym to be there. Lorrpb has some fantastic ideas-I think it would be awesome way to get reaclimated! Good luck!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I would imagine everyone experiences this on some level. It's simply how one faces it that makes the difference.

Early on one of my martial arts instructors told the class that eventually just getting here is going to be the hardest challenge. It's rather easy once you get here, but if you haven't gone in a while your mind is going to put you in a bad place of self judgement. She displaced this irrational fear with the realization that this is only going on in your head and to think on your thoughts towards others in the gym.

Do you care what they look like? Probably not. Realizing this why would other's think any different towards you?

Go to the gym.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Having a plan of exactly what you want to do (exercises, starting weights, etc) may help. It gives you something to focus on (other than the anxiety) ..basically A simple todo list to quickly get through, so you won't have to worry about making decisions or aimlessly wander when there.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    kharder811 wrote: »
    . I know I’m feeling bad because I’m nowhere near where I used to be in terms of my fitness level or body physique.

What's the worst that could happen there? And how would you move past it?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    totally feel you
    so my plan for success, i went to gym with a friend and asked for information. took it home, compared gyms, called set up an appt to look around and get the tour. took friend.
    i then knew what to expect, had most of my questions answered, was familiar with the space. set up a time to learn how to use the equipment. then i didn't need my emotional support friend.

there is a track where many local runners go to in winter for various reasons. did essentially the same thing. and my designated friend also texted to make sure i actually made it inside and ran. photographic proof was required.

i find if i have a task, i can usually overcome my anxiety.
    ymmv
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    kharder811 wrote: »
    . I know I’m feeling bad because I’m nowhere near where I used to be in terms of my fitness level or body physique.

What's the worst that could happen there? And how would you move past it?

The crux of it for you ^

And listen to those who posted to go in and do something you're comfortable doing (treadmill, elliptical), and then add things in as your comfort/confidence grows. Taking that first step can be really hard. I used to have to tell myself that time will pass whether or not I go in. So what do I want to look back on? (FWIW, it took me THREE YEARS to finally enter the weightroom at my gym. I'd been in the pool years before that.)

You can do it. Nobody will notice you. And who knows who else is there on their first day too? ;)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It's soooooo much easier to do anything if you have a buddy even some of the time.
  • LiftNRiot
    LiftNRiot Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Understand the fear and anxiety. Feeling like everyone is watching you and criticizing. Some very well may but those people have issues. Anyone trying to better themselves are not looked down upon. There may be more fit people there but they started somewhere too and know what it takes. And no matter what shape you are in walking in the gym, you are bettering yourself.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Can you find a buddy to go with you? I usually workout at the gym at work, but get anxiety about visiting any other gym with people I don't know. Having a friend helps a lot.
  • s_rivera_92
    s_rivera_92 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was exactly where you were a month ago! Same thoughts and fears. I used to be a total gym rat and was very upset knowing I had none of the strength/endurance I once had. Even after a month, I still have bad anxiety/fear associated with going. However, just as many others have said, going is the hardest hurdle. Once you make it to the gym those fears will subside. I usually go late (about 9:30-10:30PM), because I don't like crowds. And I (thankfully) have an awesome gym buddy that has been coming out 2-3x a week with me. If you bring someone along, it really helps the anxiety. If you can't, and for whatever reason you're still anxious in the gym, just remind yourself that all those other people are there for the exact same reason you are: to be healthier. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,517 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what @allother94 said.

The gym I go to is small, very tight knit, and very competitive. However, it’s within a five minute walk, the dues are ridiculously cheap, it’s unbelievably clean, and I love, love, love my trainer/owner.

I was doing squats and lifts Tuesday while four youngsters were standing a few feet away catching up. My trainer casually told me, “they’re all Olympic hopefuls”. I thought I would die of embarrassment on the spot, but she introduced me, and all the “kids” cheered me, as I did my puny weights.

No one laughs at other members, no one get snarky or sniffy, even with a few random retirees and business people underfoot. It is 100% supportive. People are constantly coming back after months, or a year or two away, and the vibe is always, “hey bro, where ya been, glad you’re getting back in the groove again!” Our gym has a member in remission and another with PTSD, and the other lifters give them 1,000% support. When one lifter went into hospital for weeks, gym users paid his rent. No one judges, everyone pulls for one another. It’s amazing, and as corny as it sounds, it’s heartwarming.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying, not everyone judges, most lifters are simply doin’ what they gotta do, they’re not watching you (nor do they care to) and they are super respectful of one another.

Don’t overthink, or consider changing gyms if you’re getting the kind of vibe that creates that kind of anxiety. It could be the gym and not you?!
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I too suffered from “gymtimidation” as they called it in a TV ad for one of the big globe gyms, so I understand this well.

After many years of procrastination I finally went to a group fitness HIIT type program. I was scared and I can’t explain why. The other members were mainly about 25-30 years younger and all seemed in great shape. I was 120 lbs overweight couch potato and late middle age.

Now, about 20 months later I am totally hooked- I find a way to go about 5 times per week (when I thought I had NO time for it). What I found out was that the other gym members actually respect the effort that someone who is new puts in. They were so encouraging for me. On my second or third day, one of the best athletes I’ve ever seen explained how she was trying to improve her form on certain maneuvers just like me! She had like 10000 pounds on her barbell and I had an empty bar!!

I actually have friends there and I look forward to commiserating over how hard the particular class is etc. If there are any true athletes or sports people where you go, they will welcome you and respect that you are trying to improve physically. Mostly they will just leave you alone until they see regular hard effort on your part.

Please go try it. I’m so glad I did.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As mentioned many times--it's all in your head. Most of us have something similar. The first time in the gym I was a fish out of water. I marched up to a young guy on the staff and said "Hi, I usually swim, but can't for a month and want to workout here. I'm as old as your mother and have OA. Can you show me what I can do?" He was so helpful and I'm still doing some of the things he showed me, just heavier and more reps. Screw up your courage and you'll be glad you did. The gym is for people out of shape--that's how they get in shape.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Nike said it best, “just do it”
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    A little different perspective: for most people, being in the gym is a very personal, individual thing. the typical gym rat is focused on themselves, not the people around them. don't let the fear and anxiety stop you from going. set a goal. crush it. set another goal, repeat. you'll be fine.