Neil Peart, Rush Drummer Who Set a New Standard for Rock Virtuosity, Dead at 67

Options
Analog_Kid
Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/

"Suddenly, you were gone
From all the lives you left your mark upon"

nw6d4don7hjs.png

If you're a fan of the man, the band, or the music, share a happy memory.

Replies

• _Miss_chievous_
    _Miss_chievous_ Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    So sad 😔 in my eyes, the best drummer of all times. Buddy Rich will have someone to play drums with. R.I.P
  • renydo2
    renydo2 Posts: 2,152 Member
    Options
    1983 - junior year in high school - drove down to Dallas, TX with my best friend - Reunion Arena - two nights in a row - god i love that band - unbelievable talent for a three man band - Neil drove the whole show - amazing
  • AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    One of the best to pick up the sticks.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Damn, RIP Professor. Condolences to his family, bandmates and friends.

This is one of the days I've been dreading since they announced their retirement years ago.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been able to see them in concert multiple times since I learned of them in the 80's. I've seen almost every one of their tours since then, and introduced my son to them as well. His first concert was "Snakes & Arrows"
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    YYZ-our friend-Exit Stage Left. Truly the best, can make a case for Moon or Bonham, I'd take Neil...
  • Analog_Kid
    Options
    Rush is my all-time favorite band. Saw them for the first time April 4, 1983 at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, PA. Saw them numerous times since, including their final tour in 2015 in Bristow, VA.

Always put on a great show. When they retired, it was truly the end of era.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Analog_Kid wrote: »
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/neil-peart-rush-obituary-936221/

"Suddenly, you were gone
    From all the lives you left your mark upon"

nw6d4don7hjs.png

If you're a fan of the man, the band, or the music, share a happy memory.

I'm not crying. You're crying. *kitten* cancer.
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Oh no. My husband is a major fan and has seen Rush maybe 10 times in concert. He's going to be so upset to hear this.
  • GoJohnGo71
    GoJohnGo71 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    RIP, Neil.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Saw them in 1988 with The Rainmakers in KC. He's the standard I measure all others by.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tq-UsaRchI

for me - this will always be quintessential Rush by Neil, Geddy and Alex. so tight!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I first saw Rush live in 1981 for the Moving Pictures tour. I've seen them several times since then, always at different venues. They always put on a good show, one that is amazing for a 3 man band really. I've been going to concerts for about 40 years, and seen the legends, the unknowns, the one hit wonders, and the ones that don't make it. But Rush made it for all of those 40 years.

I was saddened when Neil took his break after the family tragedy he suffered, and thought there was a good chance that would be the end for the band. But he came back, and I saw them again on the Snakes and Arrows tour. I'm glad he returned so some of the younger generations would witness the bars others reach for. By all accounts a unique guy, who despite his incredible talent was very shy and avoided the hype of the band and it's followers.

The lyrics he wrote were often deep and unusual, with a style hard to grasp in that era. But over time he wrote or co-wrote many of their most known songs.

As for the drummer, he was an absolute master of his craft. Even at the top of his game he was studying others and trying to get even better. I've seen a lot of sloppy drum solos, but none of them was from Neil Peart. I think he was one of the overall most talented musicians of my lifetime. I'm deeply saddened that his talent can no longer be enjoyed by the world.

Know your place in life is where you want to be
    Don't let them tell you that you owe it all to me
    Keep on looking forward, no use in looking 'round
    Hold your head above the crowd and they won't bring you down

from Anthem

• thewiltedred
    thewiltedred Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bubbles is going to be devastated. :'(
  • jacktherower
    jacktherower Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Do they have any hit song other than Tom Sawyer
  • robertw486
    Options

Since I don't know if you are kidding or not.... just for clarity for anyone that doesn't know. He is actually a fairly good musician with releases in the US and Canada, and Alex Lifeson is on some of his videos. He was a long time Rush fan from what I understand, and has also played with Guns N' Roses.

The Rush concert episode was great!

I think they had a number of #1s on the charts from the small charts up to the Billboard charts. I personally think most of their best stuff didn't get a lot of recognition, as it was rarely the style of the mainstream stuff at the time. Their depth of different styles over the years was immense.

If you can appreciate an instrumental, here is one that also has one of Neil Pearts signature drum solos. The video quality sucks, but this is how good a three man band can sound live.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=k4hKhBuNF3Y
  • Analog_Kid
    Options

He certainly will! :D

For those who may not be familiar..."Bubbles" is a fictional character played by Mike Smith in the comedy team known as the Trailer Park Boys. They were big Rush fans and often referenced the band in their sketches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foyBUG2_SyM
  • Analog_Kid
    edited January 2020
    Options

9 Juno Awards
    7 Grammy Nominations
    Inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame
    Made an Officer of the Order of Canada (OC)
    Inducted into the Canadian Songwriter's Hall of Fame
    Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
    Inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame

How many hit songs should they have?
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Spectacular gifted musician and I learned to play the drums because of him and a few others 🤗( not well but that is no fault of his 😋😒) He will be missed 💔
  • robertw486
    Options
    I found myself listening to quite a bit of Rush this evening, and it dawned on me that it's been almost a year since we lost this immense talent behind the drums.

Both a musical and lyrical genius, and the world is a lesser place without him here.
  • SomeMFPuser
    SomeMFPuser Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    He was one-of-a-kind. Defined the 'light' for many drummers who came after.