Thyroids suck

Options
Has anyone else had trouble losing weight since getting on levothyroxine?? I have hashimotos and have been taking the pill for 7 months now. I stopped getting constant sinus infections and my hair isn’t falling out as bad. I take a mineral pill at night to keep my iodine and selenium up. Any other tips??

Replies

• momx4hill
    momx4hill Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take levothyroxine too. If I forget to take it I will easily gain 1-2 lbs a day. My focus right now is on nourishing my body. Yes I am losing weight too. But I need to feed my body the food it needs to heal first and then I can focus on weight loss
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Are your blood tests showing normal thyroid hormone levels now? The usual routine is to be tested every few months at first and have dose adjusted as needed.

Uncontrolled hypothyroidism can cause water weight swings and low energy, which may make things more confusing or difficult.

Someone with properly medicated hypothyroidism shouldn't have any more difficulty losing weight than a person without hypothyroidism . . . but they won't have any less difficulty, either.

To answer your question specifically: I'm quite severely hypothyroid, have been for 19+ years, and take generic levothyroxine at the needed dosage (for me, 175mcg). It's important to take it exactly as directed (empty stomach, wait before eating, etc.).

Almost 5 years ago, in 2015, I lost about 50 pounds at age 59-60, obese to a healthy weight, and have stayed at a healthy weight since. It was not easy every minute, but I don't think it was harder for me than for other people.

I don't do anything special, just take the levo consistently exactly as prescribed, and eat normal balanced nutrition at the right calorie level - that's all.

You can do this: Best wishes!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    P.S. You may find the post linked below to be informative. It was written by an MFP user who is hypothyroid, has lost weight using MFP, and who also has worked as a professional in the thyroid research field.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management/
  • aqilajohan96
    aqilajohan96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently took on levothyroxine. I gained weight and my mood swings are uncontrollable. I’m currently on a 100mcg and I’m having troubles losing weight. Any tips to kick start this journey?
  • cassiek11
    cassiek11 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the Autoimmune Protocol, or AIP? It's a very restrictive diet for a length of time, then you slowly add in potentially problematic foods.
    With my Hashimoto's, I've been gluten free for 2 years and that has helped significantly. I also feel better when I don't eat dairy.
  • blackkitty73
    blackkitty73 Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Make sure you also get tested for iron, folate, vitamin D and Vitamin B12. These can also be depleted with Hashimotos and decrease effectiveness of weight loss.

I’ve just gone gluten free in the New Year as a trial for 6 months as there was a pilot scientific study undertaken that showed positive outcomes for Hashimotos patients.

AIP was just too restrictive for me.
  • jockette18
    jockette18 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have always managed to lose weight with Hashimotos though exercise, I can starve myself or eat greenery til the cows come home but no exercise = no weight loss....