to eat or not to eat..

Options
i am unwell with some kind of fluey thing and i really don't have an appitite but i feel like i should try and reach my calorie goal, so should i force myself or go with how i feel inside?

Replies

• amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Go with how you feel! dont force yourself to eat if your body doesnt want to. listen to your body. you can always make up for missed calories.

dont make yourself even sicker by forcing food down.
  • mizfrankie
    Options
    Juices and fruits would be good choices and not too hard on the tummy either. They could also help cleanse you which might help you get better faster and will also give your body something to work with. Hope you get better soon!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you aren't feeling well don't force yourself...listen to your body.
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would take it as you feel. You don't wanna over-eat and then have it come up. :ohwell:
  • wekaba
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing! I just go with what and when I feel like eating. It hasn't been much, but I am afraid to eat very much while ill!
    I agree with the comment by amymunn!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I have an aversion to food every time it's TOM and I just don't worry about it and take the extra weight loss boost.

But definitely eat what you can. :) Feel better!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    can you try some chicken broth or something? It's at least something, and it should be relatively mild. Either way, make sure you're staying hydrated.
  • JLove2Zumba
    Options
    If you feel good enough to eat I would stick with a very bland diet especially if your stomach is upset.. Try a slice of toast or a handful of oyster crackers or even some chicken broth.. That way you are putting some calories in, But Not overdoing it on your stomach.. If you are physically that ill that anything you put in comes back out, Getting calories in Should be the least of your worries, Just feel better!
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Lots of rest, fluids, and soup?
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Crackers and sierra mist natural are my go to for when I feel pukey. It puts something in your stomach so you don't get dry heaves and the sierra mist natural doesn't taste like anything when you puke, no bad aftertaste.

And of course if you do start puking make sure you try to drink as much water as you can to stay hydrated.

I wouldn't worry about your calorie count too much if you are sick.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    You won't go into starvation mode in 1-2 days of recovering from an illness so don't worry.

Technically starvation mode can happen as early as 72 hours but that is more in survival situations. If you body is busy fighting infection then just rest and take in plenty of fluids. If you have someone make you some chicken noodle soup from scratch that’s a great protein, great fluid and homemade can be little to no sodium if you really want to think about #'s at a time like this.
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    If you feel like you will vomit, just drink some gatorade(or other sports drink) and plenty of water, but slowly. Green tea is good too. If you do not feel nauseated, eat something lite like soup. Your body cannot fight the flu/whatever with no vitamins or calories. If the sickness causes you to not be able to eat more than a day or two, see a Dr if you have not already.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    For an upset tummy - many Drs. recommend the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Good luck!
  • AdoreZel
    Options
    Orange juice,orange juice and more orange juice lol. Don't eat if your body is telling you not too.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, you definitely want to force yourself to eat something because your body needs a little extra nutrition, especially when you're fighting something. But don't worry too much about the calories, just try to eat good stuff that won't bother your tummy too much. Broth or even a vegetable and/or noodle soup, dry toast, saltines, apple sauce (natural) and maybe a banana. Try to avoid high protein or high fiber foods as they might be too much to process right now.
  • SBSmedsvik
    SBSmedsvik Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice, soup tends to make me feel a bit sick cus i have a stomach condition, I ate at lunch because i met up with a friend so i think i am just going to drink lots of juice and see if i can stomach dinner when the OH gets back from work.
  • Brezbauer
    Options
    Since you aren't moving around much (I'm assuming), you should be okay eating fewer calories. You still need to be sure to stay hydrated though :) Feel better soon!