MyFitnessPal Premium.. is it worth it

Options
Beginning to track my food, portion sizes, etc, is it worth it to get the premium version?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, no. The free version does what I want it to. Are there any particular features of Premium that you think you would find useful?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are. I lost 100 pounds and have maintained for 2+ years with the free version. However, it doesn't matter if it's not useful for me--it matters whether you'll use the features in the paid version.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    If the Premium didn't share the same glitchy cluttered database as the free version, I'd consider it, but since there is no database advantage, the other features are not worth it to me.

I'm not opposed to subscriptions - I have them for Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, have had one for America's Test Kitchen, and will probably get one for Christopher Kimble's Milk Street when my trial is done, but the cost has to be commensurate with the value, and to me MFP Premium's is not.
  • gboybama
    gboybama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wasn't interested in the extra features, but I wanted to contribute to MFP and the program's further development. MFP gives me soooooo much benefit, the little bit of money I pay annually doesn't seem like much.
  • gboybama
    gboybama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You may be interested to know that MFP is owned by Under Armour, which is a huge sports equipment company. So while it’s fine to pay for MFP if you want, it’s probably not the case that MFP subscriptions are a significant portion of the app’s development budget.

You make a great point and I did kinda forget that!

However, I'm still gonna say financial contributions speak loudly about the demand for a thing. Given that the parent company probably has no emotional ties to MFP and views it as a mere asset in a portfolio of property, just think how easily they could pull the plug if they felt like it was underperforming for them. :o

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    gboybama wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    You may be interested to know that MFP is owned by Under Armour, which is a huge sports equipment company. So while it’s fine to pay for MFP if you want, it’s probably not the case that MFP subscriptions are a significant portion of the app’s development budget.

You make a great point and I did kinda forget that!

However, I'm still gonna say financial contributions speak loudly about the demand for a thing. Given that the parent company probably has no emotional ties to MFP and views it as a mere asset in a portfolio of property, just think how easily they could pull the plug if they felt like it was underperforming for them. :o

Eh, maybe, but more likely the app is seen as a source of ad revenue for them. The free version has ads; the paid doesn’t. They know how many people are actively using the app regardless of how many people pay for it. You’re paying for the app (and nearly any “free” app with a paid option) either through ads or through a subscription. It’s up to you which way you prefer to pay.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I tried premium for nearly a month and didn't find any major difference between premium and free. So I decided not to continue with premium.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    gboybama wrote: »
    I wasn't interested in the extra features, but I wanted to contribute to MFP and the program's further development. MFP gives me soooooo much benefit, the little bit of money I pay annually doesn't seem like much.

Putting up with all of those ads also brings $$ into their coffers so I wouldn't go premium for that reason alone.