Home Gyms

At home work out equipment? I want to start a weight collections. I bought a upright bike from amazon. Any others to suggest?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    What specifically is your goal?
    Also tell us your budget.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I just have a few dumbbells, a treadmill, some bands I got with points from a wellness challenge at work, a pull-up bar, and my husband just made me a custom aerobic step. I have a DVD collection as well as workouts you can find online. I use the TV and DVD player the most, step 2nd, dumbbells and pull-up bar 3rd. I don't use the treadmill much. It really depends on what you want to do and what you have room and budget for.
  • sstout02
    sstout02 Posts: 65 Member
    Great. Strength and toning is the prior so great idea.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    edited January 2020
    depending your space and budget, I bought this a year ago and love it.
    https://www.scheels.com/p/marcy-pro-home-gym-total-body-training-system/09636299490.html

Other than that, dumbells, bands, and a pull up bar are great
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2020
    Look at Goodwill and thrift stores for weights, both dumbbells and plates, depending on your needs. I’ve found most of my lighter weights there over time. You can also pick up a lot of other fitness stuff there, including some good equipment buys. Just realize it can be hit and miss. You make out best if you check frequently over a period of time to find most of what you want.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    sstout02 wrote: »
    I want to start a weight collection.

Weight collections take up a lot of space. Why don’t you start a stamp collection and only buy the weights you need for working out?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I wiggs start with a set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench. A TRX or similar is a good option as well. A barbell, plates and rack/cage are never bad if you've got the space and budget.
  • Scarlettriestorun
    Scarlettriestorun Posts: 40 Member
    Kettle bells are a great cheap bit of kit
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I absolutely LOVE my adjustable weight set. 100lbs of weights in two dumbbells that take up less room than a car tire. Dick's Sporting Goods sometimes has a great deal on them. Also, a rowing machine is compact and a great cardio workout.
  • justrightfit
    justrightfit Posts: 2 Member
    I bought this a few months ago and love it so much I cancelled both my gym memberships. Haven't regretted it once!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ntkH8Ldos
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I saw this article a couple years ago. Dean Somerset is a well known trainer and his wife is a competitive mult-sport athlete. The article tells how he built his home gym. It's oviously too much for many people but he does a good job of explaining how he prioritized his equipment acquisitions.

https://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/

Hopefully some ideas you can use.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Depending on where you are Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, letitgo or similar can have really good deals on used equipment, especially in a few months when the resolutioners who bought equipment last month lose their motivation.
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    I bought this a few months ago and love it so much I cancelled both my gym memberships. Haven't regretted it once!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ntkH8Ldos

I also bought the Inspire FT2 2 years ago. Great bit of kit with a small footprint. Not cheap but replaces virtually every piece of equipment in a gymnasium (especially if you have the leg attachment). I also cancelled my gym membership. I can train when I want and no waiting around for equipment. Absolutely love it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    For a fraction of the cost of some of these machines you could get a power cage, bench, Olympic bar and plates. Keep it simple and follow a proven program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5 x 5.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I have a half rack, bench, Olympic bar and plates, and floor mat for weight lifting. I have a large high energy dog for cardio.
  • Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 115 Member
    I have a multi gym with high/low pulleys as well as chest press/fly bars, leg extension etc. bought extra attachments from ebay and amazon and the like.

For cardio I have a NordicTrack spin bike set up in the garage with a TV, big speakers and a subscription to LMOD.

This is for days I can't get to the gym for whatever reason.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    duoajagx6pzk.jpeg

Here’s a picture of my rack in the basement. Lat tower, c2 rower, and treadmill not pictured.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    I have a bunch of dvd's ...the total gym (think Chuck Norris machine) not fond of it but use it from time to time ....I want a home gym that is already set up so I just have to move to do my thing
  • Jopanni
    Jopanni Posts: 27 Member
    I have recently set mine up now need to learn how to use n3a0lsn941pz.jpeg
    8y895ghy5a6u.jpeg