Becoming Vegan - Where to Start?

I've recently been inspired to try veganism due to increased health benefits that come with it. The problem is I don't particularly like vegetables, but I hear it's all about how you season and cook them.

Are there any other vegans on here who could off tips and favorite recipes? I'm excited to give it a try!

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Vegan is not naturally healthier. Butter vs coconut oil for example one is vegan one is not but they are both fats and the same calories.
    Now if you swap in some low calorie veggies in place of high calorie animal based foods that might be a healthy choice.
    Why not try to work on calories and maybe adding 1 extra vegetable serving a day. That way you start eating more vegetables and learn to prepare them and get the fiber and nutrients benifit while being more long term sustainable.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Be sure to do your research- becuase it is not sustainable for "some" people- IJS - do your research- there are some side effects if not done properly too
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Did you watch a documentary?

This is a decision you should definitely second guess considering you do not even know how to prepare vegetables you like or if it is possible for you to ever like them regardless of preparation. You can make yourself quite sick. It has happened to some friends of mine and one of them ended up in the hospital.

If you do want to go through with it I think you should work on transitioning slowly for a year to vegetarianism and then see if you want to take it further remembering that veganism is really about ethics not health. By transitioning I mean start with replacing some of your meat protein with vegetable protein. After that start going meatless one day a week and then work up from there.
  • AmbrrrB22
    AmbrrrB22 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2020
    Let me clarify: I do not plan on going totally vegan, just more plant-based overall. Nor do I plan to make a total switch in one day. Also, I eat vegetables, just not a wide variety. For example, I eat the following vegetables on a regular basis and prepare them in different ways:

Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Asparagus
    Spaghetti squash
    Sweet potatoes
    Green beans

I was looking for some ideas of what other vegetables/plants to incorporate into my diet and different recipes to try them in. I don't believe in fad dieting or bandwagons, so I never planned to be wholly vegan. I just wanted to try something new by becoming more plant-based, and how to do that. I apologize that my initial post wasn't clear on that. Thank you to those who offered helpful suggestions.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The vegans I know eat a ton of lentils and beans...as in a similar way a "meat and potatoes" guy would eat some kind of meat at almost every meal. They also eat a lot of a wide variety of grains. They eat about the same amount of veg and fruit as I do...it's just that instead of meat, their primary parts of their meals are lentils, beans, grains, potatoes, tofu, seitan, faux meat products, etc.

Being a healthy vegan actually requires more nutritional knowledge than being an omnivore as vegans are more likely to have nutritional deficiencies like anemia and B12 deficiencies. Most people could stand to eat more veg and fruit and a little less meat, but being vegan isn't inherently healthier than being an omnivore. Some vegans have very unhealthy and nutrient deficient diets while some omnivores have very nutritious and healthy diets.

Right. I choose to replace some of my animal protein with plant protein because I believe it increases my nutritional variety. I have gotten out of the habit over the holidays but I also normally I have a meatless day once a week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Veganism is a "yes" or "no" thing, it's not something that you can do partially. What you're wanting, it sounds like, is to try more plant foods, which is something that is associated with health benefits and can be done by vegans and non-vegans alike.

I'd recommend checking out Pinterest for recipes incorporating specific vegetables you'd like to try. One thing I found helpful when I wanted to eat more fresh vegetables was to sign up for a CSA box. For a big chunk of the year, I got one box every week filled with fresh seasonal produce. Some of it I was already familiar with and some I had to figure out how to use (I found it really fun, for some people I guess it would be too much pressure). Another thing I'd recommend is don't write off a new vegetable until you're tried it a couple of different ways (steamed broccoli is just okay for me, roasted broccoli is amazing!). Oh, and check out various beans (if you're not already eating them). For many of us vegans, they're a big part of our diets.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Let me clarify: I do not plan on going totally vegan, just more plant-based overall. Nor do I plan to make a total switch in one day. Also, I eat vegetables, just not a wide variety. For example, I eat the following vegetables on a regular basis and prepare them in different ways:

Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Asparagus
    Spaghetti squash
    Sweet potatoes
    Green beans

I was looking for some ideas of what other vegetables/plants to incorporate into my diet and different recipes to try them in. I don't believe in fad dieting or bandwagons, so I never planned to be wholly vegan. I just wanted to try something new by becoming more plant-based, and how to do that. I apologize that my initial post wasn't clear on that. Thank you to those who offered helpful suggestions.

Definitely check out the thread I linked, it's a fun and inspiring one. I don't post there as much as I should, but I read it, and one of my goals for 2020 is to learn to take pretty food photos so I can share. ;-)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I'd recommend checking out Pinterest for recipes incorporating specific vegetables you'd like to try. One thing I found helpful when I wanted to eat more fresh vegetables was to sign up for a CSA box. For a big chunk of the year, I got one box every week filled with fresh seasonal produce. Some of it I was already familiar with and some I had to figure out how to use (I found it really fun, for some people I guess it would be too much pressure). Another thing I'd recommend is don't write off a new vegetable until you're tried it a couple of different ways (steamed broccoli is just okay for me, roasted broccoli is amazing!). Oh, and check out various beans (if you're not already eating them). For many of us vegans, they're a big part of our diets.

I second the idea about the CSA box, although that will have to wait a few months. I found getting a CSA box (I have for several years) to be the main thing that caused me to learn to cook with what I had in the refrigerator, since every week it would be a challenge to use up everything before it went bad (or before I had a bunch of new vegetables). I really am a much more creative cook as a result, and I learned to use lots of veg I didn't cook with much before (and also some new ideas for many veg I'd used for years). Of course, some times of the year are more challenging than others.

One thing I would do with new veg or when I wasn't feeling inspired was to look at a vegetable-themed cookbook.
    Greene on Greens is one good one organized by vegetable, but there are many. I also like Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love and many seasonable or farm-based cook books (I enjoy reading Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries).

For a great website, I recommend https://www.101cookbooks.com/ -- you can put in your vegetable as an ingredient and get great recipe ideas or just browse.

Also recommend exploring bean and lentil dishes, as Jane said.

If you have a winter farmer's market, that can be fun too, as a way to get started. We have an indoor one in the winter that I try to go to.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I've recently been inspired to try veganism due to increased health benefits that come with it. The problem is I don't particularly like vegetables, but I hear it's all about how you season and cook them.

Are there any other vegans on here who could off tips and favorite recipes? I'm excited to give it a try!

I'm an omnivore, but I eat lots of vegetables. I also grow them.

I made roasted cauliflower last night - OMG, AMAZING! I tossed 370 grams of cauliflower with 2 T of olive oil (I'll need to get this amount down), some coriander, salt, and pepper, and roasted on a baking sheet for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. If my phone hadn't kept ringing, I would have eaten the whole thing, which would have been way too many calories due to the olive oil.

Roasted sweet potatoes are also very good. I like lots of spices with them.

But if you are swapping out meat, the important thing is to add plant-based protein - see the lentils and beans posts above.

I agree with the suggestion to try recipes from cultures like Indian where vegetarianism is prominent. You'll find endless variations of dal recipes.

Here are 28 vegan main dish recipes featuring beans or lentils: https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:158786&f[1]=field_recipe_course:772&f[2]=field_recipe_main_ingredient:789

And 1940 vegan recipes from allrecipes.com: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1227/everyday-cooking/vegan/
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if a CSA box isn't an easy do - you could try somethign like imperfect foods or mischief market - mischief market you get a random box of veggies every week or 2 weeks - i got a pretty good amount last time i did it
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Yet another option is to buy a new veggie once a month (or once a week, whatever), and try cooking it a couple of different ways, to see if you like it.

There are two possible general ways to approach it:

1. Brave and scary: Buy it, bring it home, then look up recipes and try them.
    2. Planning oriented: Make a list of candidate veggies, maybe things you see at your regular grocery, or visit a local ethnic or farmers market find some options. Pick a few to research online, then choose some yummy sounding recipe and go buy the veggies it calls for.

The worst that can happen is that you'll eat something a couple of times that you don't like very much, which is not a big deal in my book, as a trade-off for adventures. (Well, I guess you could turn out to be allergic to something, which would be worse: But that's really not very likely. ;) ).

Lemur had some good suggestions. I like that produce thread she linked, too. :)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    My advice is first educate yourself! The first time I decided (I was very young) I had absolutely no idea of health and what my body needed. It's certainly not 'just' eating vegetables.

I would get a good grasp on macros, sound nutrition as you transition into this new venture. Educate yourself with some recipes that inspire you and plan your meals.

Good luck - it'll be a fun journey for you:)
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    I suggest you start slow, probably starting with the recipes. I like soscuisine for recipies, since you can filter on diet choice. I'm vegan, but I don't personally believe the science supports the position that veganism is more (or less) healthy than other modalities.

If you decide you want to fully adopt a plant based diet, then https://veganhealth.org/tips-for-new-vegans/ would probably be my first visit.

pinterest is good for recipes as well. Also youtube vegan food vloggers (i like cheaplazyvegan, vietvegan, hotforfood, the jaroudi family, and mary's test kitchen).
  • IJP2019
    IJP2019 Posts: 34 Member
    I’ve been vegan for 2.5 years now. I originally did it for health, but it became much more for me now. Do I feel better? Without a doubt, I haven’t had to take prescriptions at all since about 6 months in, which is when I finally cut out fish (the last animal product).
    Will it work for you? Well that depends if you eat well and not just a bunch of vegan cake, donuts, and beyond meat burgers, with unrealistic expectations.
    Personally, I’ve never heard any logical research that states to limit plants, if anything you are generally told to eat more.

I am 43yrs old.
    My workout routine is:
    Day1 chest (35mins supersets)and 1/2hr cardio
    Day2 back (35 mins supersets) and 1/2 cardio
    Day3 legs ( 40 mins weighted lunges, squats, deadlifts) and 1/2 cardio
    Day4 45 mins cardio
    Day5 chest and 1/2hr cardio
    Day6 back and 1/2 cardio
    Day7 legs and 1/2hr cardio
    Repeat....

I generally have energy, if there is a day or days where I don’t have the energy, I rest and pick it back up where I left off....but to be honest, it doesn’t happen often, because I have the energy.
    I have been doing this routine since May 2019 and again, I can’t stress this enough....educate yourself on what to eat, so you get the most nutrition out of it.

Check out the minimalist baker, there are some really easy meals, and another which are meal plans is called clean food dirty girl. Google will be your friend.

The clean food dirty girl meal plans have a well balanced and thought out wealth of meal plans for any plant based person, just watch your portions if youre looking to lose weight.

I used to lift in my 20’s and don’t recall having this much energy and muscle gain as I do in my 40’s (my 30’s were a fatty disaster).....but it’s possible I am an exception, or maybe....it’s because I eat all of the plants for the nutrition that I require. I obviously believe the latter.

My point.
    Research the nutrition you can get from plants, and meals, and do it gradually. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Good luck.

• coconutface
    coconutface Posts: 5 Member
    I have a vegan blog page on hubpages if you'd like to check it out at: https://hubpages.com/byo04nuvsnjw/@lovelydaytreasures

My best advice would be to search for recipes on pinterest. You can find so much inspiration on there and since veganism is quite popular these days it's pretty easy to find something you'll enjoy. Just search for vegan side dishes or easy vegan recipes and you'll find a ton of ideas to choose from.

I would say that one of the easiest things to do to get more veggies in would be to find what you like and throw them all on a sheet pan, toss them in a little oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes (depending on what the veg is). That was one of my favorite things to do when I first went vegan and it is still a great go-to. When you have roasted veggies you can easily pair that with a side of grains and beans, or even a meatless product like Gardein. I don't think that Gardein products are by any means "healthy" because of the fact that it's processed, but their products are delicious and definitely not the worst thing a person could eat. Let's be real, we all wanna indulge sometimes and I think those are a great meatless option.

But if you are looking for a plant-based option I would look into different tofu/tempeh marinades that you could try. Tofu is bland on it's own which is why people get grossed out by it. But I always compare it to a plain chicken breast. If all you do is boil it and don't add any seasoning, it'll taste just as bland and gross as plain old tofu will. So if you're willing to give it a chance, your best bet is to get yourself a tofu press- https://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Press-stylish-transform-Tofuture/dp/B01698J0RU -and once all the water is pressed out of it, slice it and add it to a marinade, leave it overnight, and then either pan fry it or bake in the oven on a parchment. One thing I'd like to throw out there is that the link I put in here for the tofu press is where I got mine, and I've had it for almost 3 years and it's still going strong. I use it almost every day and it is THE best purchase I have ever made. Highly recommend!

If you're looking for some ideas you can also follow me on pinterest if you like.

https://www.pinterest.com/lovely_day_treasures/
    https://www.pinterest.com/LovelyDayTreasures/

Good luck to you dear!