Recti diastasis

Options
Anyone know about recti diastasis. I asked my doctor once but he acted like he was not worried about it. He kind of made me feel like I was being neurotic about it.Would the people at the Y know? I have not been working my core because I can’t tell if I have one. Should I worry about it or just work my core as usual.

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    What makes you think you have it?
  • privy95
    privy95 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don’t do crunches or anything that could stretch it and make it worse. It is corrected by plastic surgery, so I guess if you were really worried you could contact s plastic surgeon.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I have it due to several abdominal surgeries. I didn't realize it until I started working out and was doing crunches one day and noticed that my stomach, instead of flattening out, came to a point in the middle so it looked like a triangle. Showed it to my trainer, and she said I had Diastasis Recti. She said not to do crunches, but there are exercises you can do that will help. I would talk to a trainer and ask them the appropriate exercises.
  • Keeganrbarkley
    Keeganrbarkley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had this after my both my pregnancies. There are exercises tou can do to close the gap between your abdominal muscles. "MUTU" is a great resource. You can also watch a few videos in YouTube that will show you how to check if you have it, and also show you the correct exercises to help it.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I had this, and did have it repaired through plastic surgery. Mine was quite severe, hopefully for you it can be helped through certain exercises, but definitely avoid direct ab work until you know for sure