Increasing muscle mass - timescale?

Options
I’m currently at 97.4lbs of muscle mass and 56.4lbs of body fat mass. I’m trying hard to reduce my ratio of fat to muscle (it’s 35.5% fat to 61.2% muscle). I’ve taken up strength training to try to get my muscle mass up to 100lbs +. Is there any way of working out how quickly I can do that? (I’m impatient by nature!)

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady like everyone else!
  • emilyrocks_123
    emilyrocks_123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I guess I meant to say ‘do these things take weeks or months?’ But there are so many variables to take into account! I know there’s probably no formula for how long it takes to turn a pound of fat into a pound of muscle ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    1lb of muscle mass gain a month for an average sized, average aged woman, who responds to training stimulus in an average way and is training well and consistently is a commonly assumed number (wait for it........) on average.

But average is just part of the range and until you do it you won't know where in the spectrum your results will fall. All you can do is give it your best shot.

ETA - your first year of proper training is the fastest you will personally be able to add muscle mass and it just gets slower after that.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    1lb of muscle mass gain for an average sized, average aged woman, who responds to training stimulus in an average way and is training well and consistently is a commonly assumed number (wait for it........) on average.

But average is just part of the range and until you do it you won't know where in the spectrum your results will fall. All you can do is give it your best shot.

ETA - your first year of proper training is the fastest you will personally be able to add muscle mass and it just gets slower after that.

I’m waiting——
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    1lb of muscle mass gain for an average sized, average aged woman, who responds to training stimulus in an average way and is training well and consistently is a commonly assumed number (wait for it........) on average.

I’m waiting——

Waiting for me to add the timescale perhaps? :smiley:
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When you are trying to build muscle what and how much you are eating is just as important as your training. You have to eat and lift big to get big. It can take quite a while depending on genetics and so many other factors. Main thing is just keep working and pushing yourself and focus on form so you don't injure yourself. Best of luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    How did you determine your current amount of muscle and fat? Bod pod, DEXA, or BIA?
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Do you not have any bones, blood or organs? That's a LOT of muscle....

Also, the way to build muscle mass is to follow a progressive weight lifting program while ensuring you are eating enough protein to support muscle growth. Good luck.