emotional eaters

Options
I found myself starved today, so hungry eating everything in sight. I have had a cold and the weather has been cold and I thought maybe that is why. Then I thought about going to see my 92 year old difficult Mom in the hospital yesterday. It is very depresssing. I know I am an emotional eater, it has been a long time since I binged ate though.

I felt so hungry, I thought if I was aggitated I would just eat too much but I actually felt so hungry. Do you emotional eaters feel hungry at difficult times? I felt starved and no reason to be. I had eaten hours before. This is tricky stuff.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I used to be an emotional eater but now for the most part I manage stress with regular exercise, and increased exercise during times of increased stress, like now with the situation with Iran.

I live near Boston, get a little depressed this time of year, and find it helpful to bundle up and go outside at lunch time for exercise no matter how cold it is. If I delay my lunch break too long I will start to feel anxious, which helps me get out there.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    the crazy part of this is I didnt know I was stressed, I was just starved. It must have been subconscious, I know weird but then I got to thinking why am I eating all this? After the fact I did go exercise.
  • jpearson1289
    jpearson1289 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I have the same issue. Lately I'm struggling really hard. Keep the faith and keep asking yourself why am I hungry. Sometimes I know why other times I don't. But I found asking myself is helping.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    There was another poster who said almost this exact thing a day or 2 ago. They got through their day and felt much better the next day. Our bodies are all so unique that it's difficult to say exactly why it feels the way it does. No surprise that medicine isn't always an exact science.
    I am a binge-er. When it comes to stress and emotions, watch out and if I happen to go shopping during that time, it can be downright dreadful to see what I could bring home. :( I'm not sure if I've ever truly allowed myself to have time to actually feel hungry during those days. :/
    It sounds like you handled it well by eventually exercising. Journaling and music also help me. I'm sure yoga and meditation could be useful tools. Calling a friend or family member to get through those difficult moments may help.
    Good luck to you, best wishes for what you're going through with your mom. :( Not an easy place to be when your parents are elderly. Tough times for sure. Just remember that it does no good to stop taking care of yourself in the process.