PCOS and weight loss

Options
Hi! My name is Jazzmon. I have tried working out and dieting several times but I find that I fall back into old habits within 2 weeks. I was diagnosed with PCOS and Insulin Resistance last year and I was wondering if there is any foods/workouts I should try!

Replies

• SarahMWong15
    SarahMWong15 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions because I have PCOS as well and I'm just starting my journey, so I can't say for sure. But I've heard weight lifting is great, as well as low cal. Not as low cal as like, Keto, but definitely keep your breads and pastas to a minimum. I don't cut anything out of my diet completely, I just do it in moderation
  • hopelessweightloss
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will definitely have to limit my carbs.
  • marler_ann
    marler_ann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My college friend lost 40 lbs in a semester after her Endo and Gyn told her she is insulin resistant and has PCOS. High estrogen and no carbs did, however, flake out her gallbladder, which was removed days after she came home for break. Make both drs are onboard with your decisions to reduce and you’re aware of drawbacks.
  • hopelessweightloss
    Options
    Thank you for the advise! I dont currently see an endocrinologist but I was thinking about it. My OBGYN just said "here's some birth control" and called it a day. I know that PCOS has no cure but I have read with weight loss and a low carb diet, the symptoms will be much better.
  • steph19912020
    steph19912020 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have pcos also, and know it's a pain to lose weight. I didnt do it, but a coworker her dr. And research she done said to try to cut carbs, and sugar intake. I love carbs to much to try lol. A few years ago I was really into fitness and eating better, lost 40 lbs and my monthly became regular again. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon, and gained most of it back and became irregular again. Now I do the depo shot so idk where I'm at with that. But if your looking for a friend you can add me
  • vick13091978
    vick13091978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First, I disagree with your nickname. You are here, there is hope!
    Insulin resistance is in reality the first stages of type 2 diabetes. This is serious! You MUST (there are no buts or maybes) ELIMINATE CARBS. You need to look at Keto and Intermittent Fasting. You can find on Youtube dr. Berg, Thomas deLauer, Jason Fung, Peter Attia, dr. Sten Ekberg.
    I did....
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I totally can relate to your PCOS diagnosis. I am 40 now and been dealing with this and endometriosis since I have been 15. Several birth control pills but I also found Leupron helpful for me by putting it at rest 3 months a time. I found low_carb and increased veggies and fiber to help me. I know after my excessive weightloss after my gastric sleeve did help some. I found pasta to aggravate the PCOS bad. Send Me a Friend Request! We can help each others journey along the way.
  • remysquishykins
    remysquishykins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vick is correct. People tend to ignore early stages- fatty liver for example: I see patient after patient who return only to discover their fatty liver has become fibrous and they need to make drastic lifestyle changes that affects their personal lives (never drink alcohol again, specialty medication, mounting medical bills).

Moderate carbohydrate is your best option. Carbs and sugars are theoretically treated the same in your body whether is comes from honey, white sugar or fruit juice. Your body burns: alcohol, sugar, carbs, protein, fat (in order). An excess in the first three in that list means your body is working overtime on empty fuel to try and sustain the rest of your organs (also leads to weight gain).

Im not saying its an all or nothing, but making small changes now can save your from serious medical conditions later. Try putting your setting to carbs 25% only on MFP to start. You will notice how much sugar and carbs are in many things (like carrots). Only then can you find a regime.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    actually, no, you don't HAVE to reduce carbs at all. Each person is different and their body reacts differently, and while I know I'm going to get a ton of disagrees because of this post, I can tell you with confidence that its not always necessary because I too have PCOS and was told I was insulin resistant and have never reduced my carb intake at all - and over 50% of my daily food is from carbs because that is what satiates me - but I still lost 100 lbs and my blood sugar levels are fine.

Definitely go see the endocrinologist; there are newer ways of dealing with PCOS these days that don't necessarily have to include birth control (I haven't been on birth control pills for PCOS in over 10 years). It's all very individual, and you really need to have a doctor check you out to see what your individual needs are.

Meantime, it becomes a matter of seeing how your body reacts to things. You can get a good, affordable blood glucose meter at Walmart; I'd suggest getting some test strips and keeping an eye on your blood sugar - fasting (when you first get up), and then test 2 hours before and 2 hours after eating certain meals for a few days to get an idea of how your body responds to certain foods, such as after eating pasta or eating certain fruits (grapes and bananas, for instance, are not good for some people with sugar). This information will help you see how your body reacts to certain foods so you'll know what you truly need to control or reduce.

https://www.diabetes.org/nutrition/understanding-carbs/carb-counting

While you are not diabetic, you can follow information that is provided for diabetics to get a handle on your insulin resistance. The American Diabetes Association has lots of suggestions and information:

https://www.diabetes.org/

They say that normal blood sugar is 80-130 fasting, and below 180 non-fasting

https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/medication-management/blood-glucose-testing-and-control/checking-your-blood-glucose

Arm yourself with this information and work with your doctor to determine what would best for you as an individual.
  • cherrylou123
    cherrylou123 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do a healthy lifestyle instead of a diet :) they are more permanent. Eat more ln healthy foods.. Veggies, fruits and protein rich food (meat and fish). Lessen the fried, sweets, salty, process, food from fast food and all other unhealthy food.

Don't avoid foods but instead train your mind that healthy food is better than the unhealthy ones.

Drink lots of water.. Have enough sleep and exercise 😊😊😊

Take care of yourself and of your health pretty πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Weight loss in general will help with PCOS & insulin resistance. That being said consuming whole foods and avoiding ultra processed foods (packaged foods with ingredients that look like they belong in a chemistry lab) is best for weight management. Loading up on fiber (fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains like oatmeal/brown rice/quinoa/etc) helps to bind excess hormones and improve insulin sensitivity. High fiber foods are filling which helps with satiety.