daveejane2020 Posts: 13 Member
edited January 2020 in Introduce Yourself
What’s helped you?

Replies

• djwinch
    djwinch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Enjoy what you eat.

Most people who fail seem to be sticking to a strict diet and forcing themselves to eat something they wouldn't want to.

I've lost over 180lb and rather than going on some cabbage soup diet or something I've just stopped eating the junk food and changed it for fresh food. I never make anything fancy as it takes a lot more effort and often doesn't produce the end result I would want!

I will occasionally have a bit of the old junk food as a one off, as long as it doesn't become a regular habit it's fine with me.

I would also add to this give up alcohol but that's a big lifestyle change for many that many wouldn't want to do. For me it's a huge part of my weight loss.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.
  • Hnikki89
    Hnikki89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1. Portion control. This is key and something I think a lot of us dont think about.
    2. Drink plenty of H20
    3. Also adding in green & matcha tea
    4. Exercising and sticking with it!
    5. Cutting out ALL processed foods, carbs, sugars. Switching to natural, organic and healthy alternatives.
    6. Have a healthy mind and focus on our emotional well-being

And lastly, realize that something may work for someone else that didnt work for you. That's okay! Find what works and stick with it.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the one that improves your health. Create your own food management plan that you can live with for the rest of your life. Eating and doing things you don't want to do all in the name of weight loss is the recipe for eating it all back and starting over and over and over again.
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't try to become healthier in only one part of your life, it won't work long term. You have to get your head on right and set your life goals/priorities and the rest will follow.
  • clodsgirl
    clodsgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. Track/measure EVERYTHING - in advance, if possible. This helps keeps me to stay accountable. Strangely, if I know what I am going to eat in the next meal, I am much less likely to go off track. Use measuring cups, food scale, look at food labels
    2. Eat when you are hungry. Listen to your body. If you go off track for a meal, its OK!!! Resume for the next meal. Do not beat yourself up.
    3. Meal prep for the work week. I meal prep breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the work week - then track.
    4. Discover foods you enjoy enough to recreate into new/multiple dishes. For example, if you meal prep chicken breasts for the week, make different meals with the chicken breasts (quesadilla, soup, with a veggie, on a salad). I hate eating the same meal over and over. But when I recreate meals, I am much less likely to be bored.
    5. If possible, do a body scan to get a detail of your measurements, body fat %, BMR. Your BMR will tell you how many calories your body needs to maintain your current weight. Once you have this number, you have a great starting point to determine your calorie deficit.
    6. water, Water, WATER! Buy a large water bottle and set a goal for how many times you refill it a day. I carry a 32oz to work. I have set my goal to drink 3 a day.
    7. Weight loss is much more about your mind than the actions of exercise/eating right. Personally, when I have wanted weight loss only for the outside appearance to change, I was far less successful. Once I realized that I wanted it for health reasons/more energy - I have been far more successful, and it comes much more naturally.
    8. Exercise. Make a goal to AT LEAST work out 2 times a week. Have a plan for what activity you are going to do. Find a workout partner. They can help motivate you, keep you accountable, etc. Try new work outs (take a class, look on youtube..) You don't have to pay anything to find exercises. There are plenty online.
    9. Find a community of like minded folks. Like MyFitness Pal. Or, follow folks on Instagram - you can provide motivation for one another, recipe ideas. It helps to know you are not alone.

Be kind to yourself, and be consistent :)

You got this!
  • SaiyanPrincess5
    SaiyanPrincess5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take it at intervals. Especially if you have a significant amount to lose. I've lost about 200 pounds since May 2017; here's some advice taken from what I've done:

1. Fasting
    2. Set small, attainable goals. Once you achieve one, set another short-term goal.
    3. Don't obsess over the scale. Weigh yourself only periodically and take measurements when you do (in case you gain weight from adding muscle and are wondering why your weight is inching upward)
    4. Portion Control/Calorie Restriction (1,000-1,500 daily); use a food scale and measuring cups
    5. Six to seven strength training or cardio workouts per week (1 hour each session); of course, you don't have to do that much. I started out slowly. Also, switch up your workouts. You don't want to get bored with exercise and trying new things is often exciting!
    6. Drink a TON of water (I aim for a gallon each day)
    7. Eat/drink a lot of protein, especially if you're strength training. Find protein shake recipes you love.
    8. Search Pinterest for healthy recipes. I often find unique Weight Watchers recipes on the app, but I convert them to calories instead of smartpoints.
    9. Reduce sodium intake to prevent water retention
    10. Plan ALL of your meals before you eat them (MyFitnessPal is a great way to do this)
    11. Look up success stories, journal, or find some motivational fitness posts when discouraged (again, Pinterest is your bestie)
    12. If it helps, you can think long-term too. A little sacrifice in the moment goes a long way in the future.
    13. Take photos periodically to document how far you've come
    14. Don't totally deprive yourself. If you have one cheat day, that's okay! I've had several since starting! The key is to get back on track ASAP and to avoid beating yourself up for being human. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
    15. Last, and I CANNOT stress this enough, find a plan you can see yourself living with. If you don't enjoy your food, you're setting yourself up for failure. You don't have to eat salads three times a day or limit yourself beyond reason. Find healthier versions of the foods you love (in my case, it was things like tacos, burgers, and pizza). Protein shakes are a great way to kill a chocolate craving too. You'll be amazed by how fun it is to get creative with your food!

Of course, these are the things that have worked for me long-term. Everyone is different, but I thought I'd try to help where I can.
  • TRIHARD36
    TRIHARD36 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Drink water