1-Minute Metabolism Booster

Options
The easiest 350 calories you'll ever burn: Exercise is obviously important, but regular daily activity known as "NEAT" (nonexercise activity thermogenesis) is equally essential for a healthy metabolism. Small movements such as stretching your legs, taking the stairs, even just standing to talk on the phone can add up to an extra 350 calories burned a day.

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100191868

Thought this was interesting. Sometimes we are so focused on "exercise" that we forget the little things that can make a difference.....

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The easiest 350 calories you'll ever burn: Exercise is obviously important, but regular daily activity known as "NEAT" (nonexercise activity thermogenesis) is equally essential for a healthy metabolism. Small movements such as stretching your legs, taking the stairs, even just standing to talk on the phone can add up to an extra 350 calories burned a day.

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100191868

Thought this was interesting. Sometimes we are so focused on "exercise" that we forget the little things that can make a difference.....
  • kgrumpybear
    Options
    Thank you
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Absolutely agree here. My kids have this standing joke about how far away from the front door of any store I can park. They say, "Mom, I think there's a place across the street and down the road." Anyway, I tell them if they won't exercise, they will walk. One of the benefits of being the driver.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    One of the trainers at the gym told me that they actually had a fight break out in the parking lot over front row parking from two men who were on their way into the gym to get on the treadmill! I think that is hilarious.
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    One of the trainers at the gym told me that they actually had a fight break out in the parking lot over front row parking from two men who were on their way into the gym to get on the treadmill! I think that is hilarious.

Yes it is like the people who can walk into the store and all around the store and then cant walk 10 extra feet to put their cart up, just leave it the next parking space:angry:
    That makes me crazy:explode:

I am a chef and have a catering company, but I do not add my calories spent in the kitchen to my calories burned. And sometimes its 10 or more hours.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    a funny thing I learned in my biology (nutritional) course in college was that fidgety people are perhaps more leaner? All that finger tapping, feet tapping, getting up and down, being anxious...it all leads to burned calories. hahahah

*sigh*

things you learn