New Group: Going into 2012 Stronger Than Ever - Week 1

Options
Hello Everyone:

There seems to be a lot of groups on here that are closed. So I thought I would start my own group. I am new here - this is day one. But I plan on being here almost if not every day. Sometimes my work schedule gets crazy.

I would love some people to get and give support to. To get to know and have a connection to.

The new group name: Going into 2012 Stronger Than Ever

Each Monday I will post a new thread for us to use.

About me:
43 years old
female
mom of 1 20 year old
best friend to a few
working full time
needing to have surgery.
love music
walking for excerise 5 times a week
water aerobics one day a week.
Horrible speller

So I hope someone joins me here. I need you and you don't know it yet but you need me too. LOL

Replies

• smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello

about me:
    32 yrs old
    married going on 13 yrs
    2 boys 12 & 9 1 girl 3
    work full time about 50 hrs per week
    I have been here for awhile
    started ww in feb and lost almost 30 lbs
    went to fl (i live in ohio) for vaca in july
    Have fallen off the wagon since vaca and gained 5 lbs and cant get back on

Good Luck and hopefully this will help me
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    Hi and Welcome:
    Thanks for joining me. I know coming back from vacation can be hard. I have done WW in the past and love it. This time I am starting with just counting calories, I don't seem to have the WW will right now.

You have done great so far and I know you will continue to do great.

What is working for me today:
    1. I can't stand how big I am. Never have been this big
    2. I feel like I am about to burst.
    3. I really need to have my surgery next year and need some weight off.

I am just keeping those reasons in my head today. Tomorrow there may be different reasons. But I am just working on today.

Do you set rewards for yourself?

Right now I have set ... if I walk my 5 days then I can have a new song for my music player. I love Music so every time I walk 5 days in a week. I can add a new song. I already have a list started of songs I want.
  • mck8686
    mck8686 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would really love to join you. I have been here for a long while but have not been good at staying on the wagon! :(

About me:
    38 years old, female
    Married almost 4 years
    No kids but trying to have one
    Heaviest I've ever been and I'm miserable!

I am not very good at viewing myself in a postive light and I am trying to change that. Overall, I need to lose at least 150 lbs but I am focusing on 5 lbs at a time. I've lost my first five. :) I have spent the last year losing the same 10 lbs over and over but this time I am determined (even though I've said that before).

My husband helps me every step and he's been very supportive. He is half my size and runs ever morning, bikes at night. I walk at least 4 days a week while he runs or bikes and he helps keep me motivated. This week I am pushing myself to go 1.5 miles instead of 1 mile.

I've tried every diet around so I am not doing anymore diets. I am using this site, logging my food and exercise every day and focusing on eating more healthy. My husband and I really want to have a baby and have had no luck. I know my weight is a factor plus I have PCOS but it seems to be a mild case in terms of symptoms. The doctor said if I could lose even 30 lbs it would help. So... I'm happy to be friends. I'm great at motivating others but not at motivating myself. :) I'm trying to change that and I KNOW I can lose this weight. :smile:
  • smitchell37
    Options
    I was going to ww with my mom and we were going to thur meeting and I loved it loved the intructor and all the ppl. My husband started working on thurs so we started going sats it was a fun group not as good as thurs. My mom wasnt lossing anything so she quit and I didnt want to go alone. I figured I could do it on my own but cant.

I was setting little goals and when I met them My husband and I would go out to eat without the kids or I would get a new shirt or something little.

I have a gym membership and I loved going I was going 4-6 time a week. I cant seem to make myself go anymore. I was leaving work early to go and I just feel like if I stay at work and get them over time that would be better for my family.

Everybody is telling me how good I look and cant believe it when I tell them I have another 30-40 lbs yet to lose. When they look at me funny or make comment about it it makes me feel weird.

I would love to find a workout buddy again I think that would help me a lot
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    Last post before work today:
    1. have packed up my dinner
    2. will walk .39 miles to bus stop
    3. will not be buying any junk food at work today.

I started today with just walking 1/2 mile. I am going to add to it every week or so. I am also going to be signing up for a water aerobics class that will meet one day a week. Every bit of moment helps.
  • smitchell37
    Options
    I am going to set my alarm clock 15 mins earlier and start walking my dog around the block in the morning. Not sure who will whine the most (my dog is not a morning person)

September is back to NO SODA MONTH!!!!!!
  • mck8686
    Options
    All of you are doing so good!!

My 10 year old niece is already going down the road to obesity and I offered to let her walk with me every night so this will help me stick to it myself! I'm pretty good at it but it's just as easy to say I don't want to. Knowing she will be meeting me each night to walk will keep me accountable. :glasses:

I had a small regular soda this morning, which wasn't so great but I am happy that I've mostly been able to stick to my goal of not drinking regular sodas during the week. I try to only allow it on Sunday when my husband and I go to our once a week beakfast. :smile:

I bought a portable stair machine that isn't very big and doesn't weight very much and I decided to bring it to my work. It has a nice digital display. I can only do 1 minute at a time but that equals 20 calories. I am trying to do one minute at least every 30 minutes because I spend most of my day sitting and I know that isn't good for me. There is no place to walk in my building and it's presently too hot to walk outside. But I like getting on the little stair machine.
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone:
    I hope you are all having a great day. I am so happy that I can go grocery shopping!!! I will be doing that tomorrow. I am going to be making a list tonight of the things that I need to buy to eat right.

I am also calling the rec to see if I can join just the water aerobics part of this class. I am not ready to take a regular gym class.

I have been spending lots of time looking around the message boards. I am going to be journaling my food 100% minus one weekend when I am out of town and have no internet access but will write it down.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and watch us become healthy.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Hi bbpurple1967, mck8686, smitchel37! I'd like to join your group and hang around with you at MFP!

I've been on MFP for awhile, lost 20 pounds a couple of years ago, then had a setback and gained 15 back, I refocused in January, joined a nutrition class for 24 weeks and had lost 31 pounds. In July I had 2 weeks of vacations, and even though I didn't lose, I was happy to not gain anything .. but in August I just haven't been able to get back on track and actually gained a couple of pounds. I really need to find my motivation again to keep going.

A little about me.
    I'm 47, married with 2 kids: 17 and 10
    I have a job where I sit all day long, so I try to counteract that with an hour most days doing step at the YMCA.
    Exercise hasn't been my problem, it is my eating choices.
    Since my nutrition class I've stopped drinking diet pepsi - only drink tea or water/sparkling water. I try to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks in between - each of them with protein, good fat and a healthy carb (like fruit or veggie). I try to avoid foods with any transfats or high frutctose corn syrup. This worked for me from January until mid-June when my class ended, and now I have been slowly going back to some bad habits of eating too much, and the wrong things. I'm just not as focused as I was before.

So far today I've done well, and I am busy tonight so that should help ... when I'm not busy and bored is when I tend to graze in the kitchen.
  • smitchell37
    Options
    Welcome Istpaul. i also have a job were I sit all day.

Well I chickened out on my morning walk. It scares me to walk alone in the dark. I tryed to talk my husband into walking after dinner last night but he wouldnt go for it he kept saying "are you talking to me, I hear these words but I dont understand, are you sure your talking to me" LOL. I did go home after work, parked the van at home and walked to the sitters to get the kids (its only a block away but hey a walk is a walk right?)

Today starts no soda. I do ok at work but when I get home and my husband is drinking soda and the weekends where everyone is drinking soda its so hard.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    smitchell37: I had a hard time quitting diet soda .... what I had to do is find something I like almost as well and switch to it ... for me it was chai tea - I started drinking Oregon slightly sweet chai in the mornings instead of diet pepsi. Then eventually I switched to just regular tea (I switch up the kind for variety - today it's a mango black tea). I want to eventually switch to green tea and then just water with no caffeine at all - but I'm having trouble with the no caffeine part. I missed the bubbles in diet pepsi so I also drink one sparkling water a day and switch up the flavors - today I have H2oh plain. Good luck!

I did well yesterday with food, I peaked at the scale this morning and am hopeful I will see a loss for my 'official' weigh-in tomorrow morning and at least get back to where I was in July.
  • smitchell37
    Options
    I drink regular soda. I hate coffee and tea. I can drink green tea warm but not a lot. I drink mostly water and Im getting bored with that. I use a lot of the crysal light packets too.

I weigh on fridays too but Im not looking for a loss, I started TOM last night so probably another gain. I would love to be atlease where I was at the end of June. Good Luck to all
  • kaa016
    Options
    I would love to join this group!

About me:
    I am 19 years old and a full time college student. I also work about 20 hours a week. I used to get on here a lot then at some point I fell off the bandwagon. I need some motivational support and I feel that joining a group will help me to stay on track. I just moved into an apartment so I;m not on campus anymore so I can buy my own groceries and I have a gym to go and workout in when I get home and its just across the parking lot so I really don't have any excuses now.

My sw for Sept. is 282
    I want to lose at least 7 or 8 pounds by the end of the month.
    My goal weight in the end is to be 160
  • mck8686
    Options
    Welcome to Istpaul and kaa016!

It sounds like all of you are doing very good this week! I weigh on Sunday mornings and was hoping for another pound this week but just started TOM so I probably won't see any difference. But we'll see. :smile:

I know the soda struggle well! I do okay some days but my problem is when I'm stressed or upset I want that soda. I don't keep it in our house because that's all I'd drink if I did. I am very good about drinking water and probably go through 3-4 32oz cups in a day's time. I don't drink coffee or alcohol so I, too, have had to find other things. I always started my day with a soda so for me that's the tough time when I want something other than water.

I do like the Crystal Light packets and I read somewhere to buy club soda or seltzer water and mix it with the packet so you get the carbonation. Tried it once and it was okay. I miss the bubbles when I have my Dr. Pepper. Right now I have worked out a compromise for myself that seems to be working. My husband and I got to breakfast every Sunday morning and Sunday is basically our free day. I allow myself soda then and the rest of the week I can't have any unless it's diet - although I try not to drink diet, either.

Today I am working from home which makes it harder for me to stay out of the kitchen! I did my milke walk last night. To smitchell37 - can you read and walk at the same time? My husband bikes so I have to walk by myself, too, and I take my Kindle and read, It sure makes the time go by faster!
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone:

It is 12:36 and I am already tired. I went and did my laundry and went to the grocery store. Did not get everything I wanted as money was short. But I did good. So forgot to buy the Mushroom Boca burgers. I was so making a huge "burger" for lunch. But when I came home I saw I had a Boca Chicken Patty. So I had that with a salad. A friend of mine gave me a bag of fresh tomatoes. So with lunch I had 2 medium tomatoes some in my salad an some on my chicken patty. With 1/2 of avacado.

I bought some new batteries for my other scale. I thought the one I was using is off. So I weighed in at 266 pounds this morning. I am going to make my weigh in days on Thursdays.

I love my diet soda. Not even gonna like to you. I also love my regular soda. So my goal for Sept. is no regular soda. Then we will work on getting off the diet soda.

Was going to join a water aerobics class but I will miss the first 3 weeks cause of my work schedule. So I will plan ahead and join in Jan. Until then I will walk to start excerising. So wish it was the beginning of summer. You can rent bikes at the lakefront for $5.00 1/2 hr. I so would have done that on my days off. I will have to check if they are open on the weekends. Maybe on my day off I can go rent one for an hour. That would be pretty fun.

How many members do we want before we close the group. I like smaller groups but how does everyone feel about it.
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone:

It is 12:36 and I am already tired. I went and did my laundry and went to the grocery store. Did not get everything I wanted as money was short. But I did good. So forgot to buy the Mushroom Boca burgers. I was so making a huge "burger" for lunch. But when I came home I saw I had a Boca Chicken Patty. So I had that with a salad. A friend of mine gave me a bag of fresh tomatoes. So with lunch I had 2 medium tomatoes some in my salad an some on my chicken patty. With 1/2 of avacado.

I bought some new batteries for my other scale. I thought the one I was using is off. So I weighed in at 266 pounds this morning. I am going to make my weigh in days on Thursdays.

I love my diet soda. Not even gonna like to you. I also love my regular soda. So my goal for Sept. is no regular soda. Then we will work on getting off the diet soda.

Was going to join a water aerobics class but I will miss the first 3 weeks cause of my work schedule. So I will plan ahead and join in Jan. Until then I will walk to start excerising. So wish it was the beginning of summer. You can rent bikes at the lakefront for $5.00 1/2 hr. I so would have done that on my days off. I will have to check if they are open on the weekends. Maybe on my day off I can go rent one for an hour. That would be pretty fun.

How many members do we want before we close the group. I like smaller groups but how does everyone feel about it.
  • smitchell37
    Options
    I like smaller groups it makes it easier to keep track of everyone.

Awesome we will do the no regular soda in September together.

mck8686 - Im not sure if I could read and walk at the same time LOL. Usually when Im walking I have a kid or 2 with me so I really have to keep an eye on them some ppl think our road is a speedway (and I live in a neighborhood). I do want to get a kindle or something like that to take to the gym with me. When I walk on the treadmill, ride the bike or the eliptical I could probably read.

Are you all in other groups that you have ur weigh in days on certain days or should we all weigh the same day? I have seen fridays, thursdays and sundays. I always like to weigh b4 the weekend so I weigh in on fridays. I really should weigh in on mondays so I know how back I did over the weekend
  • hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    Hi :)
    Can I join?
    Day 1 for me too. Of my new profile anyway.
    I am going for a weekend away in December and I want to be a bit slimmer.

About Me:
    23 years old.
    Work full time.
    Have started a new profile, hoping for a fresh start.
    Going away in December and I want to be a bit slimmer for it, not hoping for too much though.

:)
  • bbpurple1967
    Options
    Glad to have you with us!
  • mck8686
    Options
    I am not a member of any other groups. I don't have too much of a preference on how big this group gets, either. I looked at some other groups and a lot of them were closed and I liked that this one was open. I haven't done too much in the way of posting but I'm hoping that sharing my struggles with others will help me and remind me that I'm not alone. :happy:

Welcome to jumpandtouchthe! How much weight are you hoping to lose?

I am going on vacation next week and hoped to be slimmer than I am now but I can only do my best. I wasn't being diligent about things but I know I just have to look forward. My husband and I have already started planning out things we can eat and/or share while we are on the road so that we don't blow our diets. Plus, I think we will be doing a lot of walking and sightseeing. I'd love to come home and even be a couple of pounds lighter! :)

I think my scale is off one or two pounds, too. The doctor's office has weighed me as less the last two times I went and I even changed the battieries.

@smitchell - strangely enough - I can't read my Kindle when I'm on the treadmill! :) But I can walk pretty good down the road with it. I usually have my phone, too, and play music on it. We live in a very small neighborhood out in the country.